PDA

View Full Version : Fine day in the Highlands

rossmarie
12-19-2012, 04:43 PM
Would have posted in open critique if I could have uploaded. However, this is still WIP as I've just noticed that the small tree far right is suspended in mid-air without a trunk!

My last highland scene was a bit depressing so here's another version on a fine sunny day. The idea came from that wonderful painting colleague of ours, Alan Owen (alansam) who generously encourages us all to use his ideas.

14x10in on Bockingford 140lb paper.

Crits welcome and happy Christmas one and all.

Mikehttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Dec-2012/1111482-new9628.JPG

Dana Design
12-20-2012, 01:07 PM
I really like the very spareness of this painting. It's not overdone and gives a sense of peace. The water is beautiful as are the islands. Don't mind the missing trunk and wouldn't have noticed it. It's lovely.

If you'd like me to move it to open crit, will be happy to do so.

arnieb
12-20-2012, 01:26 PM
Happy Christmas Mike.
Lovely peacful simple sceen, well done delicately flowing water colour.
As you asked for crits: the fg and mg trees line up with the peak. Perhaps add another single tree on left near edge, or move the left 2 to the right of 3rd one?
Arnie

NeilF92
12-20-2012, 02:15 PM
If you did away with all the trees it would be very reminiscent of a Summer walk we took on Rannoch Moor.
Nice as it is anyway!

rossmarie
12-20-2012, 05:14 PM
Thank you Dana and yes please do move to open critique.

Happy Christmas

rossmarie
12-20-2012, 05:17 PM
Thanks Neil & Arnie. If I was doing it again, I'd make a better job of the background trees - a bit heavy handed and too round.

Happy Christmas to you both

Mike