PDA

View Full Version : Prints

vrashton
09-04-2003, 02:34 PM
I was wondering if anyone has made and sold prints of their work? If so how did it work? I know some artists feel that making prints of their work somehow is "selling out", that it cheapens the art. How does everyone else feel? I think it might be a good way to make money from art. Afterall it's not easy trying to sell original paintings, and we all know making a living as an artist is extremely difficult.
Val

E-J
09-04-2003, 03:37 PM
To make good quality prints of your pastels that are larger than postcard size, you need a digital camera with at least 3.2 megapixels, an inkjet printer and some good fine art printer paper. Epson heavyweight matt gives rather a nice soft look, perhaps better for pastel paintings than the glossy stuff. I'm still waiting for my new digicam to arrive and have only made small prints so far (and a few greetings cards) to show friends and family what I've been up to ... haven't got myself in gear to sell any just yet :)

The frustrating thing for me has been the amount of paper I've wasted trying to get the colour/saturation settings right on my computer before printing.

I've never heard the opinion before that selling prints of your work might be 'selling out'. Even if you sell your original, you still own the copyright to the image itself so why not continue to make money from it? :)

Laura Shelley
09-04-2003, 03:51 PM
People who talk about "selling out", in my experience, are people who don't make money from their art in the first place. :) There is nothing wrong with making a living from what you love. It sure beats making a living doing something you hate!

What anyone else thinks about your career as an artist is their business--it's not really your concern. Do what feels right to you, not what agrees with someone else's ideology. They may not behave in a manner all that consistent with their own ideals, anyway. :)

MM

Mo.
09-04-2003, 05:21 PM
You would receive a better reponse to your question in the
General Art Business Discussions Forum , there is a lot of information on this topic there..... here's a link to a current thread on prints. :-

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=102675

Mo.:)

vrashton
09-04-2003, 08:24 PM
Thanks Mo, that really helped.
Val

jackiesimmonds
09-05-2003, 02:55 AM
of course it isn't "selling out", that is not the case AT ALL. I sell my originals for hundreds of pounds, and not everyone can afford an original. Those who buy my prints are DELIGHTED to be able to afford a print, and more than delighted that I took the time and trouble to produce them.

I have also had a company offer to make prints of my originals in the past, and sell them world-wide. This opens up one's work to an enormous market, which is wonderful. The price people pay is directly related to the kind of print they buy, and they do not expect it to be a unique piece of one-off work.

Limited Editions are popular because the buyer knows that the edition runs out eventually, and only a few people will have the same as he does. They are more expensive, therefore, than open editions, which can flood the market, but cost very little to buy.

Jackie