PDA

View Full Version : Corot's EARLY palette: Forest of Fontainebleau

MarieCrowArtist
12-18-2012, 06:15 PM
Hello,

This is my first post on WetCanvas; excited to get started! I am a copyist and my next copy will be from Jean-Baptiste-Camille Corot, Forest of Fontainebleau, (go to the National Gallery of art n g a . org images...sorry they won't let me post it ?!?!?!). This picture was painted early in Corot's career, in 1834- probably right after his return from a trip to Italy- it is one of his large canvases that got into the Salon. Have found research on his EARLY palette very sparse...there is plenty of information posted on his more mature palette, (the opalescent, more muted & harmonious tones in his later pictures)...but that does me no good for this copy. Has anyone copied any of his earlier works, and if so, did you find good references on the net/in book form? Thanks! (PS I have noticed that he has similar colors in his A View near Volterra, 1838- although he uses more viridian-)

Yorky
12-18-2012, 06:54 PM
Welcome to the forum.

You can upload pictures on your third post.

See the resizing and uploading links in my signature.

Doug

Dana Design
12-19-2012, 07:09 PM
Please add your image and questions to this thread.

Thanks very much and welcome!

monkhaus
12-20-2012, 12:52 AM
Some of it too depends on how close you want to get to his actual palette of colors. For example, is a lead white okay for you? Is genuine vermilion? Etc.

As I remember his earlier palette included: lead white, weld, viridian, vermilion, genuine ivory black, prussian blue, burnt umber, red ochre, yellow ochre.

His medium, at least as I made it, was sun thickened linseed, turpentine, Venice turpentine or close enough to that.

Sorry, I'm doing this from memory since its been awhile since I've tried to copy an early Corot and I mainly did Italian landscapes.