PDA

View Full Version : Ascent

scorpio32
09-04-2003, 11:44 AM
20" x 32" canvas

VieSaintSo
09-04-2003, 12:13 PM
Hello Dave,
You know i hesitate...i like the colors, the movement....the line right smack in the middle, is....too straight..? too much in the middle? just had to say it :rolleyes: didn;t I!
All in all I enjoy it....but that line....ohh shut up Sylvie;)

scorpio32
09-04-2003, 12:31 PM
whoops....lol not enuff info.........this is a diptych-2 16 x 20 canvas together,thats what the line is haha,sorry bout that

dave:p :p

VieSaintSo
09-04-2003, 12:38 PM
Dave
Me again...what is a "dyptich"?:( Thanks!:D

axxxel
09-04-2003, 12:47 PM
Fine dyptich :clap: . Unlike Vie, if it wasn't a dyptich, I would find this big line in the middle very strong and captivating ;)

Oh, something else : colors are great

xxx

Tamana
09-04-2003, 12:49 PM
Hi Scorpio!! Nice to see you back around and posting. I was just fixing to disagree with Sylvie and say that the line made it look like a diptych and the blue was absorbed inbetween it thus connecting them.

I love diptychs and triptychs etc. In looking at this one, I have to say that it seems off balanced, Scorpio. The viewer's right seems awfully heavy in addition to being smaller in dimension than the left. However, I LOVE the palette. The heat of that red combined with the warmth of that yellow coming through contrasted with the cool of that blue does it for me.

It's the blue ladder/like design on the viewer's right that throws it off balance. I was thinking, did the photo crop some of the size of the right one? If so, then an extended red onto the other side of that blue would probably balance it off.

Oh, and Sylvie:

http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/diptych

scorpio32
09-04-2003, 01:06 PM
thank you all.......tam-no this is exactly the way I painted it. I thought the same thing(off balanced) but after living with it, I like the tension it creates.........hopefully someone esle will too,this one is goin to ebay

dave:D

VieSaintSo
09-04-2003, 01:16 PM
Thank you Tamana, I had never heard of that before, wow, sounds like it would be great to paint on!:)

Tamana
09-04-2003, 01:38 PM
Good luck on your potential sale, Dave. :D

You're welcome, Sylvie. You can make them out of anything. I just made one out of old cabinet doors I saw on the side of the road slated for trash.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=128865

I hope you do one and share it with us!!! They really are fun. :) Best of luck to you!!! :D

(hope we didn't tramp your thread, dave :( )

scorpio32
09-04-2003, 02:10 PM
there's room enuff for all of us:D np I'll just start another thread you can tramp on........lol:p :p :p

dave:D :D :D

Danny
09-07-2003, 05:30 PM
I love this the simplicity of it, the complexity of it. When I first saw the line I thought to myself........ Self, that's two canvases. LOL What is the medium. Love the brilliance of the blue in contrast to the rest. :clap: :clap: :clap:

scorpio32
09-07-2003, 10:56 PM
acrylic,mostly painted with a foam brush

thx all.........

dave

Pilan
09-08-2003, 01:46 AM
the colors are great... take care of the line by separating them and hang'em up! :)

I do like the way the blue is just enough to balance all that yummy red. The red hue is great.

surreal
09-08-2003, 11:51 AM
I am usually turned off by minimalistic pieces, however I like your piece very much!

It's very poignant!:)

mame
09-08-2003, 02:14 PM
Really nice.
Nice tension with the diagonal brushstrokes/marks juxtaposed with the central vertical "seam".

Like the sense of "fracturing" with the dyptich format
Great variation/interest in value changes with a minimal palette with hits/ahas of blue.

Red aint easy.

arourapope
09-08-2003, 02:23 PM
I've come to look at this one several times now, and it's very compelling! I like the off balanceness (is that a word?) of it very much. I think it gives it much more power than it would have otherwise. Very well done. You should be proud of this.

scorpio32
09-08-2003, 10:04 PM
heres a detail

blkros
09-08-2003, 10:35 PM
How'd I miss this, anyways? Great painting. I love the reds contrasting the blues. And that detail made my heart flutter.

Tamana
09-08-2003, 10:42 PM
should be required to post details. It's only fair. It's difficult to get an adequate view without them...honestly.

This is terrific. Love that texture. And no vertigo!!! Pay me no mind regarding the balance, or lack of you know....that's just my nitty pick balance and all.

It's probably ME that's off balance.

So have you got it on ebay yet?

Good good luck!!!

scorpio32
09-08-2003, 11:17 PM
:D wow thank you all for the comments,& I decided not to put it on ebay afterall....I like it too much,plus I dont want to give it away.....I've been having bad luck on ebay......sorry bout the detail so late.....(you're right Tam)

dave:D