PDA

View Full Version : Oranges on platter

thevaliantx
12-13-2012, 07:43 PM
This is my first piece after a little bit of a hiatus -- okay, artist's block -- from drawing and painting. I swore I would not do anything else oil pastel, and because I always end up itching and with runny eyes after using them I probably won't be. Still .... they can be gratifying to work with.

Pat Isaac
12-14-2012, 12:57 PM
Glad to see you posting....oranges are always so cheery and what a nice pedestal they are on. I do think that the oranges could have some more values on them. Why the itching and runny eyes? Are you allergic to something in the pastel?

Pat

stee71
12-14-2012, 08:24 PM
nice oranges and well drawn elipses, i'm really surprised that OPs are causing an allergic reaction i always assumed that they were pretty inert, man thats such a bummer :(
which brand is it that causes your symptoms?

CarlyHardy
12-14-2012, 11:51 PM
A lovely painting. The oranges against the lighter pedestal really stand out.

I'm surprised to hear that oil pastels cause a reaction too. Does this happen wwhen you use any other medium for painting? You could try using gloves to keep the paint off your skin. A lot of my friends use gloves with soft pastels because of the pigments.

thevaliantx
12-15-2012, 11:21 AM
The OP's I'm using are the Cra-Pas Junior Artist series.

I don't know, maybe it's soft pastel dust laying around that's causing the reaction? Everytime I go in there my eyes water, my nose starts to run and I feel itchiness around the face. It's strange. I am allergic to a lot of things, though (cats, dogs, dust, pollen, fire ants, and I think flour).

Those oranges were a really light orange color, bordering yellow. The lighting in that room is really poor, too, haven't had the funds yet to 'upgrade' to Level 2 Artist :D

I'll go back in there with my SADA (Special Artist Defense Armour) and see what I can do to improve it.

Frostie
12-17-2012, 03:59 AM
Lovely, and you've done the ellipses perfectly. What a shame about the allergic reaction. If you have the funds it would be worth trying a different brand. Oil pastels are so lovely to work with - it would be such a shame if you we're unable to continue with them.
Helen

Flycatcher10
12-17-2012, 09:04 AM
Very nice painting. I agree with Pat, maybe add just a touch of a lower value color (in perhaps burnt sienna) on the oranges will help give them character and standout. It fees like they are fighting against the pedestal to be the focal point

thevaliantx
12-17-2012, 02:15 PM
I will work more on that orange painting tomorrow.

thevaliantx
12-19-2012, 03:21 AM
I worked on the oranges on platter just a few minutes. Less than five minutes into being in the room my face begin to feel itchy (I wasn't touching it or anything), my nose started to run. What is it? Can just 'touching' cause allergy symptoms like to appear? I will ask my wife to pick me up some powered latex (no-powdered I can't even get onto my hands) and see if that helps.

Pat Isaac
12-19-2012, 08:55 AM
That is so strange. What brand are you working with? Many artists do use the gloves when they paint. I hope that helps.

Pat

thevaliantx
12-20-2012, 12:46 AM
Pat, I am using the Sakura "Junior Artist" brand. It is odd. I don't know, maybe this is all happening because there is a tiny amount of soft pastel dust nearby, but I'm not even touching that stuff. I just go in there, and it's like almost instantly that when I am holding the stuff and start painting my nose starts to run, my eyes water and I feel itchy. I know that I can smell the oil pastel, my nose is a very sensitive one. I do wonder if I'm somehow sensitive to the smell?

Pat Isaac
12-20-2012, 08:32 AM
It is odd as they are non-toxic and use inert materials in them. It's a mystery.

Pat