PDA

View Full Version : Just a quickie Landscape sketch- with step by step

stee71
12-12-2012, 04:36 PM
In truth this was going to be a simple background onto which I added the cows from this months OP challenge, however I found that the mungyos were too soft and the board too small and textured to achieve the detail i wanted, so i'll post it here as a standalone landscape instead and try to find another evening to get in a challenge piece.

Its rather rough and ready but it only took about an hour and a half...i took a photo on my phone about every 10 mins or so and i've joined them into a step by step animated gif.
Phone camera colour balance is rubbish, the distant field is far more bright and sunny green than it appears here and the dappled effect in the foreground field is far more pronounced IRL too.

Done with Mungyo extra soft OP's on grey toned canvas board 9"x6"

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Dec-2012/177539-__Image00001.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Dec-2012/177539-animated_gif1.gif

lalflen
12-12-2012, 07:06 PM
The animated gif is great! It always amazes me when paintings take a life of their own. This one turned out great.

gakinme
12-12-2012, 11:06 PM
Steve, thank you for the step by step. You make it look so simple but the colors and planning that went in made a beautiful piece.

mirizar
12-12-2012, 11:45 PM
Wow! Thanks for the animated step by step. The final result is beautiful! Love how you used the intense blue-violet on the tree highlights.

theopolis
12-13-2012, 02:42 AM
Very cool!

Frostie
12-13-2012, 04:20 AM
Steve, the gif is fantastic. Love it! I really like the greens, blue and purples.
Helen

rickop
12-13-2012, 12:28 PM
Well done. The animation was a excellent idea.

Rick

Pat Isaac
12-13-2012, 06:01 PM
I love the animation and it is always interesting how some paintings take on a life of their own....:thumbsup:

Pat

CarlyHardy
12-15-2012, 12:06 AM
Love your back lighting of the subject! and the animation was a nice surprise. Didn't start at the beginning...at first I thought it was going in reverse! LOL Great job!

thevaliantx
12-15-2012, 11:24 AM
I'm inspired by the idea of doing a piece and creating a gif out of the stages. :thumbsup:

stee71
12-16-2012, 07:34 PM
Forgot to subscribe to the thread so didn't realise I had comments, thanks Linda, Sandra, Michelle, Theopolis, Helen, Rick, Pat, Carly and Valiant.......I'm glad you like the animated GIF, I like to watch the time lapse videos of people painting on YouTube so thought I'd have another go at creating one in GIF format. The hardest part is remembering to stop an take the picture, so easy to get absorbed into painting.
Sandra, little admission for you, there was no planning this piece, the pencil scribble was drawn out of imagination and I added colour as I went along, I think it would have been a better painting if I'd had some reference material to work from. :)

Flycatcher10
12-17-2012, 08:55 AM
Real nice little piece here Steve. Your choice of colors for the tree leaves are perfect for shading the depth, and wonderful distance captured. Mary