PDA

View Full Version : December 15, 2012 Paintalong - Questions, comments, paintings relating to December 15

mickisew
12-11-2012, 03:44 PM
As usual, please try to keep your questions and comments relevant to the December 15, 2012 Paint-along.

Per Johannes:

This will be 2 pastel paintings and one oil painting.

I will do both pastel paintings on a half sheet which measures about 13" X 20" (leaving about an inch on each side as a margin).

The two pastels took about 5 hours altogether so I will be showing a third painting which will be the oil painting 18" X 24. (This is a 3 by 4 ratio - 9" x 12", 12" by 15".)

You may want to reserve extra time this Saturday so I can fit all these paintings in that day - probably about 9 or 10 hours.

The reference photos and drawings are on the Student Access Page - info on access in emails from Johannes dated November 30 and December 6.

Here's what should be in this thread:

- Comments and questions about the December 15 Paintalong, including medium, size, palette, surface prep, etc.
- J's final painting
- Students' paintings based on the Dec 15 paintalong
- Comments and critiques about the paintings that are posted.

Please DON'T POST general discussion relating to the paintalongs as a whole, including comments about ustream, technical glitches, suggestions for future paintalongs, dates and times, "where's the thread for XYZ?", how awesome Johannes is for doing these, etc - those should go in the file:///C:/DOCUME~1/HP_ADM~1/LOCALS~1/Temp/msoclip1/01/clip_image001.gifPaint Along 4 Winter session Nov 24 to Dec 15 (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1297442) Thread or the general Paint Along Discussion thread (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show....php?t=1114192)
or in some other relevant thread.

EXCEPTION: Johannes can post anything he wants here.

Here's what NOT to post, here or anywhere: J's email or the link to get the photos, download the videos, etc, because those reveal the Secret Password. (Oh, and don't post the password.)

spudsmom
12-11-2012, 08:18 PM
THis is awesome! Can't wait! Will have to work on my prep well in advance for these three pictures!

Thank you, thank you, thank you Jo!
Sherri

Johannes Instructor
12-12-2012, 10:03 AM
There reference photos and drawings are on the student access page.

lildip
12-13-2012, 04:14 PM
where is the student access page specifically? Every time I go to IMP, I cannot locate the actual link to that page. I'd like to see what is going to be done Dec 15th but cannot find the link Thanks to anyone who can tell me. I can't find my e-mail "link" if there was one. Lildip

HazelP
12-13-2012, 04:21 PM
You will need to email Johannes for the link if you registered for the classes. It is a private link for those who are taking the classes. If you have done the other 3 weeks of classes you should already have this info in previous emails.

lildip
12-13-2012, 04:47 PM
I have signed up for this group ,and I did e-mail johannes, but I fail to understand why the link isn't able to be accessed easily. What ever has happened to my past e-mail, the link is no longer there. lildip

mickisew
12-13-2012, 05:24 PM
I have signed up for this group ,and I did e-mail johannes, but I fail to understand why the link isn't able to be accessed easily. What ever has happened to my past e-mail, the link is no longer there. lildip

As stated above -

The reference photos and drawings are on the Student Access Page - info on access in emails from Johannes dated November 30 and December 6.

If need be, send Johannes another email.

Micki

spudsmom
12-15-2012, 11:02 AM
Is anyone on here this morning? I ordered two big sheets of colorfix paper for this week's pastels, however they haven't been delivered yet. Is there anything else that I can use?

I have a couple of sheets of watercolor paper would that work?

Thanks,
Sherri

Rosemarie
12-15-2012, 12:08 PM
Yes, you can use watercolour paper, cold pressed.

susanc
12-15-2012, 12:41 PM
So glad you knew, Rosemarie! I couldn't answer that, but I could definitely commiserate! Now to go eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner before the painting marathon begins...

By the way, I love these photos, but I do have to say that I think my Teton paintings are my best! I'm happy to paint whatever Jo wants to do--I always learn so much.

Jacdesusbielle
12-16-2012, 04:57 AM
Thank you with all my heart Jo ! These 4 paint along were great and each time I am working with you, I learn so much ! Of course I will be student for the seascape, but I am delighted to know you intend to do some more paint along in 2013. It's the best for learning. Thanks again for your wonderful teaching.

MERRY CHRISTMAS and HAPPY NEW YEAR for you, your wife and Ken. I'll be there for his classes as well !

Blue Ridge Painter
12-16-2012, 06:51 AM
Thank you, thank you, from the bottom of my heart for all of the time and effort you have put into presenting these Paint Alongs to us. They are by far the greatest learning tool on the net, for my money. I really look forward to our next series of classes.

Also, I would like to wish all of the Paint Alongers a very Happy Holiday season ! ! May 2013 put more pleasure in your art. The family that we have come to be here is by far the greatest on the net, and I look forward to every week...

Rosemarie
12-16-2012, 08:24 AM
Morning! I am curious if you all was watching videos for 9-10 hours? I had to give up after 3 hours due to the time difference and bed time.

I loved the Pastel videos, Johannes!

Jacdesusbielle
12-16-2012, 12:37 PM
I stayed there until half of the third painting, but just watching for this one. I had not finished the two previous ones and wait for the videos to do so. I went to bed at 2.30 am. All is quiet at that time, no telephone calls, no neighbour knocking at your door, nothing but Jo, painting ....... and the chat ! Yes, big family !

mickisew
12-16-2012, 03:09 PM
Thank you for yesterday's session. What a joy! Where did the four weeks go? We are so happy you will be continuing these sessions in the New Year.

May everyone have a safe and happy Holiday Season - Merry Christmas and Happy Chanukah - and may 2013 be a year of new beginnings, happiness, health - everything positive.

Thank you Johannes for entering our lives and doing what you love - teaching and sharing with your students. A special "Happy Holidays" to you and yours.

Many hugs, Micki

Johannes Instructor
12-16-2012, 09:20 PM
Thank you for yesterday's session. What a joy! Where did the four weeks go? We are so happy you will be continuing these sessions in the New Year.

May everyone have a safe and happy Holiday Season - Merry Christmas and Happy Chanukah - and may 2013 be a year of new beginnings, happiness, health - everything positive.

Thank you Johannes for entering our lives and doing what you love - teaching and sharing with your students. A special "Happy Holidays" to you and yours.

Many hugs, Micki

The thanks is mutual. I appreciate that you all still trust me to be involved in helping you move forward in your art career. I am looking forward to continue working with you next year.

Banner
12-17-2012, 01:01 AM
I want to thank All Members of the Wet Canvas Team may you All have a Merry Christmas & a successful Happy New Year. Thank you for introducing our great tutor Johannes Vloothius. I have been a close follower of Johannes since he did his first Marvellous how to paint from photos. He is an amazing person so talented so helpful Please please keep on supporting Johannes may he continue with his affordable classes for us poor struggling Artists who have so much to learn from such a Great Mentor.Christmas Greetings to All my Fellow Wet Canvas Members A special Greeting To Robert WE miss you I haven 't heard from you for so long Till the new year Cheers from Banner NZ

HazelP
12-17-2012, 03:02 AM
I heartily endorse all that Banner has written in the above thread. What a wonderful 2 years I have had under Johannes tuition.

Hazel - another from New Zealand

Linda Reyes1959
12-17-2012, 01:06 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Dec-2012/978726-003.JPG Here is my 1st painting from Saturday panpastel on canson. Johannes, thanks again for all you do. Happy Holidays to every one.

lildip
12-17-2012, 04:47 PM
Of all the days I so looked for and even had to e-mail Joe to get the link, I was so sick I couldn't lift my head off the bed for 2 full days. Even now I'm moving slowly so as not to upset the apple cart. I'm tickled I bought these lessons so I can review them later when I have no obligations just before Christmas., at my leisure. Merry christmas to all and thankyou JO:wave: for the many hours of rapture you've provided to all who love art and want to know how to do it. You certainly know your art. Lildip

Johannes Instructor
12-18-2012, 12:14 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Dec-2012/978726-003.JPG Here is my 1st painting from Saturday panpastel on canson. Johannes, thanks again for all you do. Happy Holidays to every one.
Impressive for being the first pan pastel.

HazelP
12-18-2012, 01:52 AM
Here is my try at the first painting - 10 x 8 Artspectrum Colorfix. I used mainly Panpastels with a wee bit of touching up with pastel sticks.

The other paintings will have to wait for the video as I was only able to watch the first part live.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Dec-2012/915542-P1060500.jpg

cajunRice
12-18-2012, 08:23 PM
Dec 15 videos are up for download and are much faster than the last ones.

Rosemarie
12-19-2012, 08:49 AM
Dec 15 videos are up for download and are much faster than the last ones.
Less than half the size of the previous ones.

Linda Reyes1959
12-19-2012, 12:48 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Dec-2012/978726-001.JPG 2 of 3 from Saturdays paint-a-long.

lildip
12-19-2012, 02:47 PM
where can I find the downloads of the Dec 15th paintalong? I tried going to Northlite.com but I didn't see any listing of it. Will the link be posted on our e-mails? I never got the chance to view the Sat lessons because I was sick. Now, I'm anxious to get to work on those pastels. Anyone who can help, thankyou.

HazelP
12-19-2012, 03:03 PM
It is the same link as the rest of the 4 weeks paintalongs which you should have saved. If not email Johannes.

cajunRice
12-19-2012, 03:16 PM
Go to the e-mail Jo sent for the Dec 8 download on Dec 10th. This is same place you can download all of the last "paint alongs". Jo may still be out of the country and we may not get a notice from him.

painterted
12-19-2012, 05:11 PM
This was a fun one to paint, still working on the others. Great paint-along Joe.

ted

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Dec-2012/909312-P1010005.JPG

dljaques
12-19-2012, 06:47 PM
Ted, Absolutely georgeous!!! Please don't forget to post your other 2 as I eagerly look forward to seeing and admiring your work :clap:

Jacdesusbielle
12-20-2012, 08:45 AM
Beautiful Ted !!! You made it simple and excellent. Bravo !

Blue Ridge Painter
12-24-2012, 08:25 AM
Merry Christmas To All ! ! ! :heart: :heart: :heart:

Artcat369
12-24-2012, 08:28 AM
Ted, I echo everyone else...LOVE your watercolor interpretation! It's fresh and very pleasing, with the right color combos and values. Well done!

painteriam
12-24-2012, 05:09 PM
I am trying to find the download video for the first Dec 15 pastel. It does not seem to be any of the three that are posted. I find a duplicate of the oil, but none of the evergreens and snow pastel. Any ideas?

Johannes Instructor
12-25-2012, 09:55 AM
I am trying to find the download video for the first Dec 15 pastel. It does not seem to be any of the three that are posted. I find a duplicate of the oil, but none of the evergreens and snow pastel. Any ideas?
Go to the student access page.

painteriam
12-25-2012, 06:28 PM
Thanks. I got it. i guess my cache was causing the problem. Cleared it and down it came.
Merry Christmas all.

HazelP
01-05-2013, 03:07 PM
My version of the second pastel painting of this class.

16 x 20 Panpastel with Soft pastel finishing touches.

Sorry it has some reflection from the glass - I forgot to photograph it before putting under glass.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jan-2013/915542-image.jpg