PDA

View Full Version : Starting or Finding a Sketching Group

RainySea
12-11-2012, 11:08 AM
Hello. . . I have noticed that several in here seem to be part of sketching groups. May I ask please, how did you locate such a group in your area? I have been doing google searches but not found anything near to me. I am thinking maybe I could start one, too, but no idea how to go about finding local folks who might be interested in that either.

Any ideas on either front would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

CandAlArt
12-11-2012, 01:03 PM
Hi Rainy! I am in a great portrait group that meets from 9 to 11 each Wednesday at the local (very arty) Senior Center. I first read about it in the local paper about 9 years ago, and what caught my eye was that it said NOT just for seniors ( I was not over 55 then, LOL.) :D Not a "class" but a group that each chips in $2 so the model gets a $20 payment from us. The leader has been doing this at various locations for over 30 years in our city!! We all look for or recommend models and the leader books them on his calendar. Pretty simple system.

Sandra (Gakinme) has also done a recent showing at her local senior center in her state. So my recommendation is to look up all your local rec' centers and senior activity organizations for art activities. :crossfingers:

Also search the website of Urban Sketchers - they meet regularly, unfortunately not anywhere in my area.:(

Try the internet "meet up" groups- tho' I will warn you a lot of them turn out to be "adult activity" or occult groups when I tried my city!!!:eek:

Gloppus
12-11-2012, 01:29 PM
Hi Rainy,

I went through a similar search when I came back to drawing a while back. That's how I ended up here at Wet Canvas. I went first to the local art stores. They were eager to tell me about classes, but didn't seem interested in helping people get together. I guess there is no immediate profit in that.

For me, I guess it will start with "single-handed" sketch crawls. If I invite any who seem interested, maybe a group will evolve.

Another possibility would be to check the local schools with art classes. I bet many students would be happy to get involved with groups to keep them enthused about their homework. But you would have to be willing to start a group with the chance of a high turn-over rate.

Please let us know how you succeed. I'm sure we are not the only ones interested in joining or getting groups started.

Best of luck to you...

Joan T
12-12-2012, 03:31 PM
I had joined a local art group who told me about my plein air group and soneone else in the group told me about the sketching group. It was all word of mouth. There are probably groups around that you don't know about, but finding them isn't easy.

Is there an Urban Sketchers group anywhere near you? Have you checked out www.worldwidesketchcrawl.com? I think the next sketchcrawl is coming up in January. If you sign up on the website you'll get access to the site and they will have listings by city of where groups are planning to sketch that day. Maybe you'll luck out and find a group that way. I know my friend and I joined the NYC group and they go out every weekend. We are just a bit too far away to join them every week.

Studio-1-F
12-13-2012, 08:47 AM
You might try exploring the Meetup website. As an example, here is the page for the local DC Meetup group for plein aire: http://www.meetup.com/art-401/

You can also start a group on Meetup. I think.

Jan

vhere
12-13-2012, 11:38 AM
and what about the local paper? could you get them interested in running an article on sketchers getting together? or leave fliers at local classes?

My friends that I sketch with were word of mouth/met at uni/in classes

RainySea
12-13-2012, 11:40 AM
Thanks everyone. Joan, I checked the sketchcrawl site and posted about my location yesterday (so far only response was a spam from Mexico). I did a search of the MeetUp in my county as you mentioned, too, Jan. Nothing here right now, and I see that to organize a group of one's own has a monthly fee associated. Candace, thanks for the Urban Sketchers idea, but none near to my new rural area (one in my old area I didn't even know about!).

I'll look into if there are senior centers around or other community type centers maybe. Was also thinking of maybe putting some sort of ad in the little local monthly news freebie.

Thanks much for all suggestions!!

CandAlArt
12-13-2012, 11:48 PM
Rainy here is one more thought: If you find a coffee shop or other favorite relaxing spot, and it has a bulletin board, you could post a flyer there. If it a fave type place, say a Starbucks for example, you would attract like minded people perhaps. Especially if you hang out and sketch there, maybe attracting attention from other artists patronizing the place. Good luck- it does not seem to be an easy group to start. Do check all the rec centers and also public library- Ours has a lot of groups and activities besides just checking out books!

Studio-1-F
12-14-2012, 11:24 AM
There isn't much at all in Meetup. Mostly photographers' groups and scrapbookers. You could go on outings with the photographers and simply sketch, instead of take pix.

There is this one group in Ontario: http://www.meetup.com/Art-for-All-in-the-IE/

There is also Antelope Valley College, in Lancaster, which has a fine arts program, I think. Maybe you can audit a course or two there and network with other artists and the professors.

My guess is that you're going to have to travel a bit.

Jan

poochemio
12-15-2012, 09:14 PM
I found several of the life drawing groups on Meetup, it would also be a good place to start a group if you don't find one. Or post a notice in some local coffeeshops you might frequent. Urban sketchers is great but they don't have a group in every town, but you could start one. I just go on my sketchcrawls alone or with the man in tow. I live in a rural area too so that works for me, sort of have sketchbook will travel.

RainySea
12-28-2012, 10:06 AM
Thanks again to everyone for your thoughts.

I found a class that begins in January and decided to sign up for that in hope of meeting some local people interested in sketching and drawing. Its a six week class. . . not thrilled with the time as its in the evening and I really hate driving these dark dirt roads at night, but if I can meet some other folks interested in art that is half the battle. Then maybe we can start up a little sketching group on weekends or something if anyone is interested. Even if just ONE person would be cool.

jacquip
12-28-2012, 04:34 PM
Good luck with the class, sounds a logical place to find other people potentially interested in a sketching group. And you get the fun of a class in the meantime. I hate driving at night too, be safe.

Joan T
12-29-2012, 11:51 AM
Hope you enjoy the class and find some like minded sketchers. Good luck!

vhere
12-29-2012, 12:59 PM
good luck with that ..... and who knows what will come of it, they may have other painting friends who would be interested

Studio-1-F
01-08-2013, 08:59 AM
Thanks again to everyone for your thoughts.

I found a class that begins in January and decided to sign up for that in hope of meeting some local people interested in sketching and drawing. Its a six week class. . . not thrilled with the time as its in the evening and I really hate driving these dark dirt roads at night, but if I can meet some other folks interested in art that is half the battle. Then maybe we can start up a little sketching group on weekends or something if anyone is interested. Even if just ONE person would be cool.

Has the class started yet? Have you got some sketching buddies yet?

Jan