PDA

View Full Version : my version of Girl with a Pearl Earring ... what do you think?

Karman
12-11-2012, 07:02 AM
Dear All,
I am an amateur artist. Just like many other artists, I am also inspired by Vermeer's Girl with a Pearl Earring. I took me so much times. I have corrected it again and again. I am not 100% happy with my outcome. But, anyway, there you go.

C&C's really welcomed.

Thank you so much for taking a look.
:)

Oil on canvas board
11" x 14"

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Dec-2012/1144496-gwpe1.JPG

Best Regards,
Karman

sunlinden
12-14-2012, 04:02 PM
Disclaimer:I'm just a amateur to say the least and by no means a valid critique. Are you glazing? The face looks a bit on the flat side and doesn't seem to have enough color variation and a bit too pinkish. The eyes seem a bit off as well, especially her left one (a bit to round). The reason I'm commenting on this is because I will be attempting this as well this winter. There are several inspirations for doing so. First, it's a painting I always admired. Secondly, I watched the movie and got even more passionate about the painting. Third, I found a very good link in which the artist detailed the steps and came out with a fabulous result. Hope mine comes out half as good. I'm new to WetCanvas and it will not let me post the url, so here's an abbreviated version: penroseart.com/vermeer01.htm Regards, Dave

Ebowalker
12-21-2012, 01:06 AM
I can't comment because I'm a beginner, but they eyes are just so striking...I love it.

I am kind of debating whether or not to attempt this as a study portrait but replacing the face with my daughter's.

If you were attempting to duplicate, I'm sure others could comment better and more technical, but if you were attempting to make it your own beautiful painting, you succeeded.

evan3585
12-23-2012, 01:18 PM
Also learning and from what little Ive read his grisalle was done with a greenish monochrome. At least the skin. did a search to verify this and found this great looking tutorial. I do glazing a little differently but thinking of trying this sometime now. I dont do each glaze in a single color like this person seems to do.
Im a beginner also but my tip to you would be paint each layer more thin. To me its easier to add paint than take it away.I do a lot of my blending right on the canvas. I got a brush to place the paint, a correcting brush to move around and take excess paint off and just rub it around pretty much. Then a soft brush from smoothing out. A dead layer, grisalle or whatever people want to call is important to give dept I know what.
I call it dead layer myself and also do under layers.
http://www.penroseart.com/vermeer01.htm

Karman
12-25-2012, 08:13 AM
Thanks all :)

ragman100
12-31-2012, 04:16 PM
I too admire Vermeer. I've done copies of The Milk Maid, The Guitar Player(which I made my own by adding a still life in front) and The Girl with the Pearl Earring. I think you've done an excellent job capturing the likeness. I think some of your colors are too strong particularly her lips. The strong colors detract from Vermeer's subtle use of color

Karman
01-01-2013, 11:21 AM
Thanks for the comment ... Jaffrey. :)

ianos dan
01-01-2013, 01:08 PM
Karman ,try to glaze some diferent colors over the existing ones!The eyes are to white ,l reality there can't be pure white ,only in strong highlights (even there it's questionable),sot think that so far it's an underpainting and try to work on it ! Succes :)

evan3585
01-02-2013, 06:16 AM
I know that you never want to paint eyes pure white or they will look like a cartoon. Ive heard the same can be said for teeth. Teeth are never pure white...unless your a movie star
Glaze very thin layers on this if u want to improve it more and I mean very thin. Doesnt take much.

Karman
01-10-2013, 10:10 AM
Thanks a lot for all the suggestions. I really appreciate. I will try to improve. I am thinking to try again start from the beginning.. :)

Regards,
Karman

sjumani123
01-13-2013, 11:32 PM
In this famous work, You perfectly used your capacity to effectively mix your fantasies with reality to come up with such an outstanding work of art. But I agree with the other, Glaze very thin layers to paint eyes and face.....

Anish Kapoor (http://www.saffronart.com/artist/artistprofile.aspx?artistid=2799)

Karman
01-19-2013, 02:04 AM
Thank you ... Anish :)

charlestoncaine
01-21-2013, 08:03 AM
Well it couldn't be any other painting it looks superficially like the painting.
The problem with painting from paintings is that unless you're 1 foot from the original then it's impossible to get the depth of flesh. You can look at Vermeers and Rembrandts forever in books and on a computer but I doubt that you'll ever be moved to tears. But stand in the presence of an original and you should have a lump in your throat in seconds.

InkyEss
01-25-2013, 04:44 PM
Nice work, Karman. :thumbsup: I appreciate how difficult it is as I have an unfinished version of my own.

Thanks to Sunlinden and Evan for the link - that's very helpful and has inspired me to try finishing my painting too.

Karman
02-04-2013, 03:28 AM
Thanks for all the comments. :)

Roz Barron
02-12-2013, 08:45 AM
You captured the overall feel. I like it.

O'Neill
02-17-2013, 01:06 PM
Hi Karman,

Firstly, great job taking on such a challenging piece! Copying another artist's work is a sure way to develop painting skills, hope you've found it worthwhile.

I really like how you've handled the fabric, especially the piece hanging down from the back of her head. It looks very close to the original. The contrast between the lights and the dark is what sells it. I always find fabric difficult, but you've done a really nice job.

I think if you apply more contrast to the face, you will achieve the same likeness there that you managed to get in the fabric. If you look at the original you will see some dark shadows under the corner of her eye, around her nostril, and under her nose. Compare that to your copy, and those darks aren't there.

You're too kind, you've given her perfect lighting! Show us those dark circles under her eyes! She probably just spent 13 hours milking a goat or something and all-the-while with a kid on her knee, dark circles I say!

Karman
02-22-2013, 07:27 AM
Thanks a lot, Roz. :)

Thanks, Neill.

I understand what you are trying to say. My painting needs contrast, especially on the girl's face. I'm doing my second attempt for the same painting (Girl with Pearl earring). I will upload soon. This time, I will put more dark circles for the eyes. I will not be kind to her anymore. :D
I really appreciate your encouragement and comments. Thanks again.