PDA

View Full Version : Sorry guys...

DerRickster
12-10-2012, 07:18 PM
I haven't pasted I mean posted in a while. Most likely that is everyone's case since Christmas is around the corner. Not to brag (I'm going to anyway), I'm got my VA disability approved and getting backpay. I'm definitely going to spend some of it on really good art stuff...treat myself to a Merry Christmas that has been years in the making.

So the rose that I have been working on and thank you for all your advice will I put on hold until I get my neopastels and Senneliers. :clap:

Carly, I wished I was located where you live :o, I would gladly enroll in your courses.

Pat, I remember in a post that you go to a hardware store to buy what is it?..some type of board for your OP work?

Is Liquidex clear gesso a good brand?

mirizar
12-10-2012, 11:15 PM
Sounds good---enjoy the goodies! Are you getting that big set of Senneliers?

CarlyHardy
12-11-2012, 12:30 AM
I think you're right about Christmas slowing down most of us painting! but I'm sure we're all busy with holiday preparations! The clear gesso is Liquitex. I haven't seen it in another brand but there probably is one.

Probably hard board or masonite...depends on what the manufacturer calls it. You can prime either side, but I like the smooth side best. I also buy birch boards (very thin) and precut to small sizes. I often use black gesso on the birch boards. Takes a couple of coats.

CarlyHardy
12-11-2012, 12:31 AM
Would love to have more oil pastel students. Right now there are three in my class but they paint with other mediums too.

DerRickster
12-11-2012, 01:53 AM
Getting the either the 48 of box of 50 Senns. What is the quality of the box I wonder.

DerRickster
12-11-2012, 01:56 AM
I think you're right about Christmas slowing down most of us painting! but I'm sure we're all busy with holiday preparations! The clear gesso is Liquitex. I haven't seen it in another brand but there probably is one.

Probably hard board or masonite...depends on what the manufacturer calls it. You can prime either side, but I like the smooth side best. I also buy birch boards (very thin) and precut to small sizes. I often use black gesso on the birch boards. Takes a couple of coats.

Are you talking about birch plywood?...if so how do you get from bowing?

Pat Isaac
12-11-2012, 05:35 PM
I do think Carley is right that it always tend s to slow down around this time of year.
I think the Senn boxes are cardboard....at least in those sizes. Shouldn't be a problem...I put mine in my own pastel box.
I use tempered masonite that I get at home depot.
I have my class tonight and have 4 students....but expect to have a few more starting in the new year. I am going to have to do some creative rearranging of the studio.

Pat

DerRickster
12-11-2012, 07:06 PM
ASW had 48 ct Senns cardboard box for 88 bucks...I purchased those...have to wait on UPS Ground now..my dad is getting me neopastels so I'll be hooked up in that dept.

Pat Isaac
12-12-2012, 10:43 AM
Great....you should be all set now.

Pat