PDA

View Full Version : yellow rose

susie-q
12-05-2012, 01:59 PM
Any suggestions on ways to improve this painting will be greatly appreciated. Especially regarding highlights and shadows. I am trying to create a dramatic effect.

Andrewcody
12-05-2012, 07:15 PM
Some Cadmium yellow to enrich the rose
Some change to the greens to make the rose look alive
The background is sucking the life out of the rose image.
Regards
Andrew

susie-q
12-05-2012, 07:36 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. Would you go over the whole flower with the cad yellow? I have added a bit of depth to the painting background. Should I darken the leaves near the bottom?

crafor
12-06-2012, 10:20 AM
Andrew, your post confuses me. I would need more direction were this mine. Where, what areas should the cad yellow go, how will it affect the appearance? What do you suggest for the background?
Ella

susie-q
12-08-2012, 05:48 PM
Andrew can you clarify for me what you mean? thanks

susie-q
12-12-2012, 08:34 PM
I am not satisfied with the results, but do not know how else to improve it. Any suggestions, especially regarding light and shadow areas, would be greatly appreciated

juturnal
12-13-2012, 03:12 AM
I have no suggestions since you're beyond my level but I'd have to say the flower looks way better than the original. petals really pop out. Great work.

arnieb
12-13-2012, 09:04 AM
Youve done a great job on this one - rose are very hard. I did a painting with roses in foreground that had endless reworks - never again! Its so hard to get the shading and clear bright colour together.
Like changes to background, and detail on leaves. However I prefer the 2nd post as the petals on last have lost there softness and look a bit too thick - so dont look so real. Suggest aiming for previous version but with a few sharp highlighted edges to bring out the thinness of the petals.
Hope that helps. Arnie

susie-q
12-13-2012, 05:43 PM
Thanks for the responses. I agree with you arnieb. I am in the process of trying to get back the delicate look I had on the rose before I added the Cadmimum yellow. I think once I get that done I will be satisfied. Wish me luck...yellow is so hard to work with!

VitruvianStudio
12-15-2012, 09:12 PM
Susie-q, I made a quick video critique for you here. (http://www.screencast.com/t/Dcsveg0PZdqS) Hope it helps :)

susie-q
12-16-2012, 02:44 PM
Thank you VitruvianStudio. Your video was very informative.

arnieb
12-17-2012, 09:00 AM
Yes thats a great critique. Arnie

painterlight
01-04-2013, 03:18 PM
Keep a direction of light in your mind and have everything obey that same principle. Also there was a haloing effect around the petal edges, if you are going to keep that background, try to match the color as closely as possible and do some edge work. There isn't a whole lot you can do since the background is one plane. I'd work on light direction, shadow/shadow depth and edges... and chalk it up to lesson learned.

you need a complete sketch with background...light questions solved...everything.. before you go on painting for next time :)

susie-q
01-19-2013, 05:50 PM
I decided to start over completely. I never realized how difficult painting with yellow can be. I found out yellow does not follow the same rules as other colors do, when trying to add depth in a painting!
Here is the end product of all that work.
Any comments will be greatly appreciated.

Trumper
01-20-2013, 10:53 AM
:) I thought that was a photo of the flower not the painting-thats how i see it.:thumbsup: