PDA

View Full Version : Winter at the Moors

Flycatcher10
12-05-2012, 10:26 AM
Oil Pastels
5x7: gessoed hardboard

My first snow scene. The setting is in England a walkway along some moors, it was a gray day and the sun was going down. The land was quite baron, I added trees in the distance from the original image (photographer, Elaine Cross of pmp).

Welcome C&C, snow is interesting. I did this to get my feet wet, as I have two winter scenes that I getting ready to work on. Thanks, Mary
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Dec-2012/974094-Winter_at_the_Moors_._._._final.jpg

mirizar
12-05-2012, 11:31 AM
Very nice and painterly Mary!

Pat Isaac
12-05-2012, 05:25 PM
Love the light from the sun across the snow. It has a nice warm glow against the cool colors.

Pat

SundayPainter331
12-05-2012, 05:35 PM
You've captured a mood here, and I especially like the hazy look of the sun.

lalflen
12-05-2012, 05:40 PM
Love the subtle effects. Very nicely done!

stee71
12-05-2012, 08:05 PM
Nice work Mary, we have a lot of this weather heading our way for the weekend.

Frostie
12-06-2012, 04:09 AM
Mary, another really beautiful painting. Lovely soft colours and I love how the sun is trying to shine through.
Helen

Flycatcher10
12-06-2012, 08:46 AM
Hi Michelle: Thank you so much for your feedback, much appreciated.

Hi Pat: Thanks for noticing the light - the whole thing was trial and error. But in the end I started to get a feel for snow and light, we'll see if I can translate that to a larger size.

Hi Sunday: Thank you - the mood of the scene is attracted me to paint it, appreciate that you noticed and felt the atmosphere.

Hi Linda: Thank you! So funny, you love the subtle effects and my DH couldn't see them - ha! He had a hard time seeing what was going on in this painting.

Hi Steve: Thanks for your comment, I'll bet you can relate to this scene. We had them in Maine on the marshes too as I was reminded when I first saw the reference image.

Hi Helen: Thank you so much, appreciate it! I love color, and using muted soft colors was very cool to paint with.

mollerman
12-06-2012, 12:01 PM
This definitely has the feel of cold, isolation, quiet and being wrapped in a blanket where the only sounds are the soft crunch of footsteps in the snow!

CarlyHardy
12-06-2012, 10:30 PM
I love a lot about this painting...the vertical composition! the soft palette..limited to cool blues, allowing the sunlight to warm up that upper hillside. The footsteps lead into the painting, but if I could change one thing, I'd suggest that the footsteps lead toward the top of the hill instead of off to the right.

For a trial effort with snow, you done good!

Flycatcher10
12-07-2012, 07:32 AM
Hi Marcus, so nice to hear from you. Thank you so much for your comments, as soon as I read your "crunch" brought me right back to when we lived in New England and walking through the snow. Glad the painting provided the atmosphere you described, it was exactly what I was hoping for.

Hi Carly: Thank you for your feedback, I really appreciate it. It took me a while to understand how to paint snow. I agree about the footsteps and the look of smooth snow next to the footsteps didn't quite come out as expected, so changing where the footsteps lead to would have made a lot of sense.

gakinme
12-07-2012, 01:02 PM
Very nice colors. I could actually see the sparkle of snow in some parts. Very very well done, Mary.

Flycatcher10
12-09-2012, 06:44 PM
Hi Sandra: It was so nice to hear from you - been thinking about your lately, appreciate that we can keep up with your treatments on your blog. You are in my prayers.

Thank you for taking time to look at my painting and commenting. Much appreciate your lovely feedback!!!