PDA

View Full Version : Any Suggestions on how to do leaf litter

odieO
11-28-2012, 01:40 PM
I need some suggestions on how to paint leaf litter so it doesn't look like dots. I'm working on the foreground around the Woodcock I don't want to loose the woodcock in the leaf litter. When I tried to paint the leaf litter it looked to spotty.
The mid ground is not developed yet, nor is the dog painted. The forest area is in New Hampshire and I not familar with this terrain. Any help would be appreciated.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Nov-2012/528021-IMG_0048.jpg

La_
11-28-2012, 01:53 PM
i like a small, flat brush for leaf litter, it allows for different angles and squish factors ... depending on how many leaves your wanting, a larger splayed brush might work well to give variety of sizes, just load it and dab it about then refine some edges/shapes ... and i would do the leaves before completing the bird ... assuming this is oils?

la

Mechey
11-29-2012, 01:18 PM
I love the sky and background. For me, when I do rocks, I try for different shapes and sizes, so they don't look too much like turtles.This will be a great painting when finished.:)

odieO
11-29-2012, 03:40 PM
Thank you I will post it when I have finished. The rocks will not be too visible as I will have to add a lot of bush, to make it similar to New Hampshire woodlands. My husband agrees with your turtle analogy. The hard bit is one I'm not framilar with this terrian and too trying to show the Woodcock as well as the dog and stilll make it look like NH area.
You both have been very helpful, I find I some times get stuck, and need a nudge to jog my thinking process.
Shirley

odieO
12-08-2012, 05:13 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Dec-2012/528021-Bijou.jpg
I said I would post when I got further along.
Any comments or critiques are warmly accepted. Thanks
S.:)

Trumper
12-09-2012, 05:18 AM
:) I like it but i do feel sorry for the 3 legged dog.:)
I know it is WIP but it all looks very tidy and symmetrical at the moment,small thin trees in the foreground all straight and regimented,lots of gaps but hopefully it is because it is WIP .

rossmarie
12-09-2012, 07:37 AM
OdieO - I like your painting - it is well painted but I have one criticism. I think your hills & background are too prominent. You cannot change it now but I suggest it would have been better to tone down the middle distance trees and the background hills. This would have created a sense of depth to your picture and focused the eye more on the dog and woodcock.

Mike:wave:

odieO
12-09-2012, 12:56 PM
Hi would like to thank both Trumper and Mike for their comments. Trumper,:wink2: I can say that the dog has all four legs, he's on point. Yes, I suffer from tidiness in my paintings, and it's always a struggle for me to add that friction. I thank you for the nudge, to remind me not to put too many ducks in a row. I have added more shapes in differnet directions.
Mike, thank you for the thought about the mountains. You were right, they needed setting back abit, I fixed it by applying a wash, of a thin mix of Liquin and Winsor & Newton "Cremniz white." This set them back. I have used this in the past. I could do this because the mountains were dry.
This is a great group, thanks for the help.:thumbsup:
Shirley