PDA

View Full Version : Sea Alien WIP

juturnal
11-28-2012, 02:18 AM
Format: 16x20
On Canvas
Material: Acrylic

Hello WCers, I am new here and also new to acrylic paint! This is the first acrylic painting that I am working on in my life! Always used pencil/charcoal and digital work. I am having trouble with color issues and any general comments about acrylics paints would be helpful!
I need help with some underwater effects making it look underwater. I tried adding the illuminating light on top but I think I did it too white.

Also making spheres in paint seems oddly different than making a sphere with pencil. Do I use a darker yellow hue or just add a little black and blend the black towards the yellow?

Please, any tips with using acrylics would be helpful and also how to make the composition better. Thanks in advanced! (Sorry for the long post)

La_
11-28-2012, 01:59 PM
cool stuff!

i'd avoid black and use complimentary colors for shadowing
(purple with yellow)(red with green)(orange with blue)

can't help ya with acrylics (oil painter here), but you seem to be managing them well here

comp is fine!

la

LibraryLady
11-28-2012, 03:31 PM
Wow! Great colors! You should see my first acrylic! Yuk! :-)

I agree with La about avoiding black.

philbe123
11-28-2012, 05:52 PM
brown usually darkens the yellow, but only a tiny bit of brown at a time. agree with the two posts about avoiding black. avoid forever :)

the problem with acyrlic paints is they dry up too quick so it's difficult to blend unless you use a retarder. you can get what is called a slow drying gel which you mix with the paint, the only issue with this is that it makes the paint a bit transparent.

good thing about acrylics is that you can paint on by layers just like oils but the paint underneath won't reactivate like with oils. only problem is when you use a dark colour you can't go over with a light colour like yellow or white because of it's transparency. the only way to do this is to lay the paint on thick using a palette knife and pretty much paint with the knife. it will take longer to dry if you paint with thick layers which means you have to wait for it to dry if you want to paint another layer that doesn't need blending in.

juturnal
11-28-2012, 06:36 PM
Thank you guys for the tips. Thank goodness you guys told me about black, I would've kept on doing that! I'll try out the brown and complimentary colors to see how it works out!

snoball
12-03-2012, 09:38 AM
Blending with acrylics can be easily done with the dry brush effect and scumbling or by double-loading the brush.