PDA

View Full Version : Oops--should have left a border around my paintings

mirizar
11-25-2012, 08:46 PM
I just realized I did not leave a border/margin around my paintings for matting and framing. Do you all do? If so, how wide should it be? Any special framing options for my borderless paintings? :( they are not standard size which makes it hard to just frame without mat :(

CarlyHardy
11-25-2012, 10:16 PM
Not sure what you mean by a border...is it a space that you don't paint? I paint all the way to the edges of the paper or if I want a smaller size painting than the paper, I sketch off the size and then paint past the lines. That way the mat or frame goes over the edges of the painting.

As a rule of thumb, I don't have any detail or focus on the outer inch of the painting. That allows for some cropping and for the mat to cover the edges.

carly

mirizar
11-25-2012, 10:26 PM
Yes, exactly, I did not account for the part of the board/paper that will be under the mat :( Some of my paintings are ok, but others are too close. I think I can probably get away with losing 1/2 inch on every side for a couple of the paintings.

Thanks for the info Carly!

Pat Isaac
11-26-2012, 04:55 PM
Have you considered not putting a mat on the paintings and framing with spacers? That way you may only lose 1/4 of an inch. Also would the the paintings be suitable to float? thereby eliminating any crop?

Pat

mirizar
11-26-2012, 05:04 PM
Pat--those are great ideas! I guess I need to get more familiar with framing methods for oil pastels...I got so used to framing watercolors, matting, glass, etc. but I am clueless about OPs. The floating frames are a good idea!

Pat Isaac
11-26-2012, 05:05 PM
You still need glass no matter what way you choose.

Pat

mirizar
11-26-2012, 05:06 PM
Yes, thanks! I like the floating framing idea!