PDA

View Full Version : Upcoming Courses Kenneth Vloothuis

KennethVloothuisart
11-21-2012, 02:16 PM
Someone sent an email saying wonderful things about me to the admins. They later on asked me for more courses since popular opinion applauded my course on the Secrets of the Masters. It seems like doing deeds like these work,- expressing your satisfaction on the courses, which helps me make more courses.
I sent them the following paragraphs on upcoming courses. I think many of you will be interested, if so, stir things up, that is all I can suggest. Whatever that person did, worked,- sometimes we have to give the people in the main office a good stir.

Upcoming courses are...

“The Elements of Form”

Join Ken for a rigorous study on the elements of form, of what makes something appear the way it does through the intense study of the components in light and shadow. Ken will refer to largely to Sargent’s method of simplifying the complexity of what you see into practical paintable terms. He will analyze each of the following elements and absolutely everything implied therein:

1) Highlight or light accent
2) Light
3) Local tone
4) Halftone,
5) Shadow (core and cast)
6) Reflected light
7) Dark accent.

Ken will also cut through all the confusion and clichés involved in the very controversial field of study of color temperature, and its subtle transitions as well as discussing alternative theories through the usage of painting demos.
This highly recommended course will be a preliminary for future courses in landscape, still life, and most particularly in the challenging study of portraiture; for the artist, to have a practical theory or approach to painting form, is as necessary as the scientific method is to the scientist.

“The Elements of Form.” Part 2: Building the Head

In this second part, Ken will show you through the knowledge obtained in the course “The Elements of Form,” how to build the generic human head. This course will include demos and exercises on how to build the human head as quickly as possible, through the usage of planes, so that the painter can then begin to worry about particularizing the features.

This course will be guided through Sargent’s popular notes or words of advice on the matter, as well as focusing on the methods of Sanden, Zorn and Sorolla.

Thanks,

Kenneth Vloothuis

mickisew
11-21-2012, 02:40 PM
Ken: Sounds interesting. Sign me up! I will take any and all classes offered by you and Johannes. By far, ya'll offer the best instruction, going above and beyond to ensure we all understand the concepts. Thank you - and thank you Wet Canvas and F & W for the opportunities to continue our learning - and fun!

Micki

mlgk
11-21-2012, 04:34 PM
I am interested but the webinar won't connect with my Apple 10.4.11 operating system

lorigina
11-21-2012, 06:11 PM
These courses sound fantastic! I missed your first course, but will purchase it when it becomes available. For my part, I will request that these courses be made available.

Banner
11-21-2012, 08:05 PM
I am interested in your course ,when are you looking at running it & what is it likely to cost . I attended your last course it was really great. I have followed Johannesburg since the beginning.

HazelP
11-22-2012, 02:11 AM
Yea - count me in!!!

LadyMadonna
11-22-2012, 07:16 AM
I am in !

domeland
11-22-2012, 10:43 AM
This sounds very interesting, so count on me being there. I missed the last course you gave and I feel I missed a lot of great information. I can't afford to miss any more of these great courses that you and Johannes have provided for us. Thank you!

Artz54
11-23-2012, 10:11 AM
Learned so much from your last class. Looking forward to these upcoming courses.

Pinklady219
11-25-2012, 09:09 AM
Yes Ken, you are right! I would love these classes. You have a different approach to the art of teaching art and it is interesting. These classes are a must if a person is interested in improving their attempts at that elusive masterpiece we all yearn to see. Thank you for being interested in us Ken!

Blue Ridge Painter
11-25-2012, 08:03 PM
Lets get going I really need help in the field of color temperature, and I think you will finally be able to teach me something. Also how do we find out more about your paintings and classes, do you have a web site? :clap:

HazelP
11-25-2012, 08:47 PM
Here is the website - www.improvemypaintings.com

KennethVloothuisart
11-26-2012, 12:54 PM
Thanks everyone for your support, as events move forward I will keep you informed as to when you can starts registering for the course. It will happen after Johannes is finished with his.
Thanks again, feel free to ask anything, lets keep the thread going.
Ken

susanc
11-26-2012, 08:32 PM
the very controversial field of study of color temperature
All right, controversial! That definitely got my attention. Wouldn't miss it! :) Can't wait...

spudsmom
11-28-2012, 07:51 PM
definitely looking forward to any class you teach Ken!
Especially when I'll be snowed in this winter!

Sherri

NorthCarolinaStudent
12-01-2012, 10:46 AM
Kenneth, you have a lot of technical and practical knowledge to share, I want to take all of your projected courses. You stretch my imagination. I love your enthusiasm.

Ken Instructor
12-04-2012, 05:30 PM
Ok sounds good, everyone seems to be pretty enthusiastic on the matter. It seems the course will be launched on January.

The first course should be coming out soon....

Thanks alot for the support.

Kenneth Vloothuis

Ken Instructor
12-04-2012, 05:34 PM
All right, controversial! That definitely got my attention. Wouldn't miss it! :) Can't wait...

Oh yeah, controversial, the art world is like philosophy or like science about conflicting theories and the struggle between opposing ideas. My learning was hampered and helped by certain theories or approaches that I wish to share.

Thanks for the comments,

Ken

beart
12-05-2012, 10:23 AM
This class sounds interesting. I have had some success with portraits but it takes me weeks to get it right. I love the idea with tips to see it right the first time around. I have taken all of Johannes classes. He teaches as if he is friend.

mickisew
12-05-2012, 12:42 PM
Ken: Look forward to registration for the next webinar. You know I will sign up soonest. God speed in your journeys.

Micki

Jacdesusbielle
12-05-2012, 01:13 PM
Count me in as well !

Vida Evenson
12-07-2012, 02:54 AM
I'll be there too :)

susanc
12-07-2012, 03:56 PM
Oh yeah, controversial, the art world is like philosophy or like science about conflicting theories and the struggle between opposing ideas. My learning was hampered and helped by certain theories or approaches that I wish to share.

Ken

That sounds intriguing! I was dismayed when I first discovered that there isn't a uniform approach to value or color. Books differed in their theories--and how could two competing theories both be correct? It seemed that art theory was definitely an art, not an exact science.

You are brave to take this on--little squabbles break out from time to time among artists over these theories. I look forward to what you have to say because you think things through so thoroughly.

DLT
12-07-2012, 10:22 PM
I am looking forward to this very much.

Jacdesusbielle
12-09-2012, 05:25 AM
Count me in as well Ken. In spite of some"slight" difficulties to get everything you say or explain for your talking is sometimes too quick ..... but I won't blame you for that...... (just regret my lack of understanding.....) I enjoy and learn a lot from your knowledge on the world of painting. The perspective to learn and understand more of JSS is great and exciting. Thank you for sharing ! What a wonderful family you are !

Ken Instructor
12-27-2012, 11:21 PM
Thanks everyone, I am working on the courses just now. Any questions...?
Best,
Ken

susanc
12-28-2012, 12:08 AM
I hate to admit it, but this post (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=18634412) completely lost me and that's one of the reasons I'm looking forward to your class:

Today's class was wonderful! The question I asked was this: David Leffel teaches that "in shadow, warm recedes and cool advances; in light, warm advances and cool recedes". I find this to be true in still life painting, but could this also be used to solve problems such as in Monet's train station?
Carol.

I know what he means about warm advancing and cool receding in the light, it is a trick used by artists to pull things back and forth more without using value. But it is the contrast between the warm and cool itself that acts as a focal point, which the eye holds on to, hence automatically sending back any contrast that is not as strong. For instance, a shaded egg, the line between light and shadow holds your eye, expressing its curve of 'in and out.' However, in the shadow there is a slight variation of warm and cool, and value, but the contrast between these two in the shadow has to be less intense than the original contrast between the shadow itself and the light...since it is the most predominating or outward portion of the egg.

I am thinking about the warm receding and cool advancing in the shadow. I know as a fact that if you make your shadows too cool, they do not express the reflected light trying to make its way through to your eye, so they do not look transparent, and shadowy, just dead. I cannot think of a reason why the rule would be reversed in terms of temperatures in their coming and forward and back. Except one, but this is not a rule: Warm reflected light is usually at the furthest point, closest to the dark accent, because the egg in the shadow reflects the warmth of the table it is on; it will be predominantly warm in the part of the egg in the shadow that is closest to table, facing the table the most, that is 'further away' from you. But that does not mean it would not happen if the table was blue and the reflected light in question would thus be cool. IT would still recede. I think that what makes the shadow recede in both cases, is that the contrast between the warm and cool in the shadow, the contrast itself, the line of division, as being much lesser than the contrast or line of division between the light and the shadow. Where there is cool in the shadow, there is warmth, and vice verse, but its the contrast between these two, the degree which will determine how far or close it is relative to the light.
I would like to know where you read that quote, if you could share that I could help you more, so feel free to do so...

Read my text slowly and see if you can picture what I am saying, the ins and outs of the egg etc.

Oh, and another question--what are you doing up so late!? :)

Sgourlayart
12-28-2012, 08:45 AM
I hate to admit it, but this post (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=18634412) completely lost me and that's one of the reasons I'm looking forward to your class:

Oh, and another question--what are you doing up so late!? :)Wow Susan! This completely loses me, and I'm up early! I guess we'll have to take Kenn's next class to get answers to "riddles" like this. Stu

Ken Instructor
02-01-2013, 04:31 PM
So sorry I missed this question, here is the link for the next course thread
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1306242

Let me get to your questions then Susan, so sorry to have missed it.
Ken

Ken Instructor
02-01-2013, 04:35 PM

Oh, and another question--what are you doing up so late!? :)

I do admit saying a whole load of stuff in this reply, Susan, let me know what area exactly is confusing. I Will get to that response as soon as you give me a more specific thing to aim at. I will as a fact address the concept in the upcoming webinar. In fact, I think it was that question that got me thinking that I needed to do a webinar on the matter.

PLease response in the link given, which is the official link to the upcoming webinar. I will be fading this one out..
Ken

Ken Instructor
02-01-2013, 04:40 PM
still having problems?

answer here:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1306242

Ken Instructor
02-01-2013, 04:43 PM
Lets get going I really need help in the field of color temperature, and I think you will finally be able to teach me something. Also how do we find out more about your paintings and classes, do you have a web site? :clap:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.104226759666825.9134.100002385047103&type=3

my facebook page is more representative of my work, and update more frequently. I Will start developing a website soon, including my landscapes and figure or gesture drawing findings. Maybe a blog.

jeanetteg
02-02-2013, 10:30 PM
Hi Just got signed up for this class now I have to hope I'm home from the hospital in time to see the first class. I'm having hip replacement the 12th. Oh well I can always buy the downloads.

Ken Instructor
02-02-2013, 11:54 PM
Just remember to post in the official thread of the course. I think I posted the link in a comment just above. I am fading this one out.

lumiere33
07-01-2013, 11:15 AM
as I live in France, are there records of these classes to download ? thanks

Johannes Instructor
07-01-2013, 11:49 PM
as I live in France, are there records of these classes to download ? thanks
If you signed up for the course weeks ago yes there would be recorded classes you can download, If you did sign up please email me
[email protected]