PDA

View Full Version : Morning Glory

Flycatcher10
11-20-2012, 01:48 PM
Oil Pastel
11 x 14: gessoed hardboard

Underpainting completed with soft pastels and an alcohol wash.

Photographer John Robinson of pmp takes some amazing shots - particularly morning scenes.

All C&C are welcomed. Thanks, Mary
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Nov-2012/974094-Morning_Glory_..._final.jpg

Pat Isaac
11-20-2012, 04:52 PM
It seems a little blurry to me, Mary, so is a little hard to read.

Pat

Flycatcher10
11-20-2012, 05:41 PM
Hi Pat: Hopefully this is better, I turned up the contrast a little. If it still doesn't read very well let me know and I'll take a new photograph.

Thanks for letting me know. Mary
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Nov-2012/974094-Morning_Glory_..._final.jpg
Doesn't look too much better.

Pat Isaac
11-20-2012, 05:42 PM
Still looks blurry to me, but it may be just me...

Pat

Flycatcher10
11-20-2012, 06:02 PM
Hi Pat, I tried to take 4 more photograph's and they don't look any different. It's a softer painting though, so that might be throwing me.

Any comments would be appreciated, first true autumn painting completed. Thanks, Mary

Pat Isaac
11-20-2012, 06:06 PM
Okay, I guess it is just a soft painting. I do like the autumn color, but the large light area in the foreground bothers me, not sure why, maybe too much without anything going on. Sorry, mary, I'm just not getting a feel for this.

Pat

Flycatcher10
11-20-2012, 07:00 PM
Thanks Pat, appreciate your thoughts.

The reference was of a large open English field with a few shadows in the middle and foreground areas. I guess you could say I was working on my grasses and autumn colors.

Thanks for commenting.

CarlyHardy
11-20-2012, 10:21 PM
It has a blurry quality on my screen too but sometimes an impressionist painting with very few hard edges will have that appearance.

I like the intensity of the trees and the touches of autumn color makes the greens appear even more intense.

Like Pat, my problem is with the broad expanse of grass. It takes up half of the painting without adding any color or texture. You might want to intensify your color in the foreground, add more grass texture, then minimize that toward the middle ground so that the distance will become more apparent.

Your other option might be to crop some of the lower part of the field so it doesn't cut your painting in half.

carly

Flycatcher10
11-21-2012, 09:25 AM
Hi Carly: Thanks for your feedback and taking time to review the painting. Trees and autumn colors are still new subjects to me, so reading what you thought was much appreciated.

I understand the comments w/regard to the foreground field - pretty much was what the field looked like. But I've been considering your feedback and may go back in and turn up the volume a bit in the foreground, with a bit more grass texture. It won't be a lot, but enough to hopefully make a difference.

Thanks again, I appreciate your support - always nice to hear from other artists.

mirizar
11-21-2012, 10:44 AM
Same comment from me. The background looks great but the foreground needs something...maybe just darken it a bit and the impression of taller grasses or bushes?

Flycatcher10
11-21-2012, 04:41 PM
Thank you Michelle and everyone for providing your feedback. It's not always easy to receive, but much appreciated and in the end gives me a lesson in humility and also some learning.

A side-note I understand everyone's comment about the foreground, because it's flat and understated. But in the end, the painting was never about the foreground, rather it was about the back scene with the bright autumn leaves and complementary colors against each other (green/red's, etc.). So my thought was by having the foreground more dull the viewer is brought right to the focal point.

But, I get what everyone's concern was so I've made some changes to the foreground by adding grass texture and in lower values. In addition I added ever-so-slightly some brights w/leaves in the right-side tree.

I'm looking forward to your comments on the changes. Thank you so much while opinions might differ, I'd rather read your thoughts than not receive any comments at all. Mary

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Nov-2012/974094-Morning_Glory_...__final_2.jpg

mirizar
11-21-2012, 11:10 PM
Hi Mary! I like your changes. There's some sense of distance now just by adding the darker grasses in the foreground.

Pat Isaac
11-22-2012, 08:58 AM
Yes, that works much better with the dark in the foreground.

Pat

adamsaso
11-22-2012, 09:18 AM
Beautifull... I really cannot stop looking at these red/orange trees on the right... I for sure saw these somwhere ;)

Only what I think about are shadows in foreground suggesting some trees near but not in view, this is nice trick but of course you should keep painting as you like.

Flycatcher10
11-23-2012, 05:49 PM
Hi Michelle: Thanks for checking back in and commenting. The lower values in the foreground grass works better, as well as adding texture.

Hi Pat: Thanks for providing the extra feedback, your suggestions worked.

Hi Adam: Thanks for commenting, appreciate it. The trees were developed off of Photographer, John Robinson's (of pmp) reference image he took last month of a field in England. See reference photograph I used for this painting.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Nov-2012/974094-IMG_1693_1280x853.jpg

ai2ai
11-26-2012, 01:18 AM
Mary, very nice landscape. Perhaps if you could work further on the hazy background trees (less greens, more muted grey-purples) that would tie in beautifully with the two red trees, the color harmony would be enhanced I think. The foreground looks great.

Frostie
11-26-2012, 08:24 AM
Mary, I love the gorgeous autumny reds and oranges in the trees. Definitely better with the darker grasses and detail in the foreground.
Helen

Flycatcher10
11-27-2012, 09:41 AM
Hi ai2ai: Thanks for your suggestion and comment. Will re-examine the painting and give some serious thought to muting the background trees.

Hi Helen: Thank you for commenting - the little cluster of trees totally caught my attention when I saw this image.