PDA

View Full Version : Plockton Loch Carron Scotland

rossmarie
11-20-2012, 06:52 AM
This one is for Andrewcody to remind him of his scottish roots.

Afraid I mucked up the reflections of the houses but hope the beauty of the place comes over. Evening time and a very high tide. The large building on the far shore used to be a domestic science school for girls.

I shall have to have another go at this one and see if I can make a better job of it.........but crits still welcome.

Mikehttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Nov-2012/1111482-Plockton_Loch_Carron_Scotland_re-sized.JPG

Yorky
11-20-2012, 07:45 AM
I don't think the reflections are bad. I would darken the foreground and mid ground to add depth.

Doug

Apodemus
11-20-2012, 07:48 AM
I don't think the reflections are bad. I would darken the foreground and mid ground to add depth.

Doug

I agree - not bad but just "off" enough to confuse the eye. The reflections of the windows on the long house in the middle aren't vertically aligned with the actual windows, and the slope of the reflected roof on the right hand house doesn't match the slope of the actual roof. Reflections are tricky! The area I especially like is the area of clear water in the bottom right of the picture - it is gorgeous. The overall feel of the picture is great too.

Mike

crafor
11-20-2012, 09:51 AM
I really like your point of view--the perspective--in this. It's a wonderful scene. Now that you've done this study, you can do the "real" one, and have it really outstanding. The distant mountains really are distant, with a believable sky and clouds. One thing that catches my eye is that the roofs in the middle are the same color blue. Seems to me there'd be some variation in blues or grays depending maybe on the orientation of the roof. A bit picky, but to me it takes it away from a "real" view.
Ella

andrewss
11-20-2012, 01:59 PM
wow very nice work... I really like the little boats in the right foreground, keep up the good work - not sure if I really have a critique just my impression and I really like it ;)

Andrewcody
11-20-2012, 08:05 PM
This one is for Andrewcody to remind him of his scottish roots.

Mike, you did very well indeed, memories of the place refreshed and your painting is perfectly accurate from my memory, such a beautiful place, the Loch extending away, you can almost hear those Highland yells.

The building in the middle of the spit was Hamish's police office I think :)

This area is tidal and looks wonderful, there were wild strawberries and raspberries, fresh smoked kippers, eggs, great pints at the pub.

Well done

Many Regards
Andrew

rossmarie
11-21-2012, 04:47 AM
Thanks for all your comments.
Yorky - wanted to keep the foregroung light to silhouette chimney pots.

Apodemus - yes, reflections are tricky!

Ella - you have a good eye and you are absolutely right about the roofs.
There should be some variation in tone depending on the orientation
and how the light catches them.

Andrewss - pay a visit one day!

Andrew C. - glad it struck a chord. Reckon Hamish enjoyed his job...what a
beat....not much hassle and all those kippers and pints down at
the pub! I'll return to this painting some day and see if I can do a
better one.

Mike:)

Yorky
11-21-2012, 04:53 AM
I meant the houses to enhance the aerial perspective.

Doug

pjartwc
11-21-2012, 05:09 AM
Hi Mike, The responses seem to be about the reflections. They didn't bother me. What I did notice was that the wonderful buildings (love them!!!)were right in the middle of the scene. It seemed like the rest of the "stuff" buildings, boats, hills were put there because they were in the reference. If you're going to paint this again, think like an artist more and like a camera less.

rossmarie
11-21-2012, 05:52 AM
Thanks Jan - that is a very perceptive comment. This was painted from a photo and not in-situ. There is always the danger of trying to replicate and I think I have fallen into that trap.

From what you say, it seems the focus should have been on the central "island" of buildings and that I may have overplayed the background mountain.
If I was actually there, I think it is the buildings I would "see" and the rest of the lovely scene, although necessary to the whole, would be peripheral in my vision.

Have I interpreted what you say correctly?

Mike

Apodemus
11-21-2012, 06:33 AM
Thanks Jan - that is a very perceptive comment. This was painted from a photo and not in-situ. There is always the danger of trying to replicate and I think I have fallen into that trap.

From what you say, it seems the focus should have been on the central "island" of buildings and that I may have overplayed the background mountain.
If I was actually there, I think it is the buildings I would "see" and the rest of the lovely scene, although necessary to the whole, would be peripheral in my vision.

Have I interpreted what you say correctly?

Mike

Something like this perhaps? Quite crudely done, but it does shift the emphasis. I hope you don't mind.

Mike

rossmarie
11-21-2012, 06:46 AM
Yes Mike - that conveys the general idea. Also, when I have another go I think I need to make the buildings a little less "perfect". A bit more irregularity would look better. Thanks for showing me.

Mike:thumbsup:

Apodemus
11-21-2012, 06:49 AM
I used to live in Fort William and passed through Plockton many times. It's a magical place.

Mike

Andrewcody
11-22-2012, 06:31 PM
Hi Apodemus my family come from Fort William, from a long way back.
Small world - what was a wood mouse doing in Fort William :)

Andrew

Apodemus
11-23-2012, 03:06 AM
Hi Apodemus my family come from Fort William, from a long way back.
Small world - what was a wood mouse doing in Fort William :)

Andrew

I am a forester - where else would a woodmouse work? !

Andrewcody
11-25-2012, 04:01 PM
LOL - true so true

arnieb
11-28-2012, 08:21 AM
I would agree with Doug about it needing more depth. Suggest lightening up the bg and perhaps the mg houses. Theres enough interest for it not to need a specific COI. Hope thats useful. Arnie