PDA

View Full Version : Nothing has to make sense: my junk/art journal

rogerrecio
11-18-2012, 01:01 PM
ok...walking in here cautiously cause i have no idea if this is the right place for me. i've recently (ok, maybe it's been a couple months shy of a year) started art/junk journaling. i'm not even sure if that's what you call it. it's a maxim magazine i gesso'd to become the canvas for me to free myself from the creative boundaries that hold me back. i've had sketchbooks and such before, but i've always been scared to mess up and ruin things. i made this book after i came to the conclusion that...it doesn't have to make sense. it's for me...slowly, this magazine, which otherwise would have been just thrown out with the garbage, has become my art journal, and my most prized possession. i like looking through it and seeing how my style has changed and strengthened. i'm so envious of all of your talent. i've gone through the threads and everyone's work is so beautiful. i hope that i can find someone who understands what i'm doing for myself.:heart:

pictures to follow soon.:wave:

eyepaint
11-18-2012, 01:22 PM
Welcome! Please share away :)

bookscorpion
11-18-2012, 02:19 PM
Love the title and I think it's just the right way to go about creating a journal. I'm looking forward to seeing what you have to share.

DrDebby
11-18-2012, 06:06 PM
Welcome to the forum. There's no wrong way to create an art journal. Love the cover. Looking forward to seeing what's inside.

CandAlArt
11-18-2012, 10:30 PM
Welcome! We use various words for our journals- it looks like yours will be an "art journal" more than a "sketch journal" and I love seeing those mixed into this thread. More please!!

wabbitt
11-18-2012, 11:26 PM
Welcome to Wetcanvas! I'm looking forward to seeing more. The cover looks great.

Joan T
11-19-2012, 12:38 PM
Welcome!!! If the cover is any indication of the work to come...bring it on!!!

rogerrecio
11-19-2012, 09:31 PM
thank you all for your kind words. it really settles the nervousness i had coming into this forum.

the first pages i did in my journal took me a long minute to do. i was worried about how to start. finally i just closed my eyes and jumped in. now...i don't have a set style as i'm trying to find it myself, but one thing i know about my style, i lean toward the feminine form. faces, shapes, curves...tend to inspire me.

i did this with watercolor pencil, and i liked it so much, i tried to cover it in modge podge to preserve it out of fear that it would wipe off easily. that was a bad idea as it started to pick up the color, but...i loved the end result. i now know, you can't put liquid over watercolor, nor watercolor over gesso (total duh, but, what can i say...i did it anyway) anyway...this was the beginning (hence the crumpled "THE BEGINNING" at the top.) the bit i covered was just my writing. i added swarovski tears and a small metal piece that says "make a wish".

Joan T
11-20-2012, 03:00 PM
Nice page!!! The good thing about journals is that you can try different things and see if they work for you. The modge podge probably blended the colors of the watercolor pencil like regular water would do. You didn't lose the image at all. Can't wait to see more of your work.

DrDebby
11-20-2012, 07:28 PM
You learn by doing. And sometimes, the experts don't have all the answers. :) This is a wonderful page and imagery. Like the 3-D elements of crystal tears and the metal piece.

gingery
11-21-2012, 02:08 AM
I applaud you for pushing yourself to get comfy with your journey. Repurposing anything is great & I think that it allows you to feel even more free to do whatever. I recently learned that you can make your own mod podge by using a container of glue & adding the same amount of H2O together. (Use a 6oz bottle of glue & add 6oz of water to it to create mod podge). That should save all of us some money as well.
Please keep sharing your creativity with us!
Happy creating,
ginger

vhere
11-25-2012, 11:32 AM
it's a very friendly forum :) welcome

bookscorpion
11-26-2012, 03:19 AM
Beautiful, the tears are a nice touch.

JennyMK
11-30-2012, 01:20 AM
Welcome to this forum! You will find that everybody is very encouraging!!It is a lovely place to get feedback on your ideas!
The right way to begin is just to dare and start, don't worry about the outcome, as it is the process that it is the interesting and fun part! I like your first title, 'the beginning', now you just have to continue... looking forward to what more will come!