PDA

View Full Version : Cottage on the hill. Water colour WIP

Debzy
11-18-2012, 01:34 AM
This is a small water colour as I have limited time and am not ready to complete my Ben and Sally water colour until I have more time. I have only used three colours here. Cobalt blue, Quinacridone Gold and a touch of permanent magenta. It's not finished, and I know the fence is too sharply angled at the bottom right. Just posting the first instalment. Painted from a photo of a cottage in my local area. Cheers =)) Debs.

rossmarie
11-18-2012, 06:28 AM
Debs - Seems to me painting with three colours is like playing golf with only 3 clubs - works just as well!
Three thoughts:

1. fence is fine - don't want it to look too "perfect"

2. think I'd omit the dead centre brown tree as it rather blocks the view.

3. Suggest you may have rather overworked the trees (background and right hand side. Feel a dryer brush and lighter touch would look better. Sometimes I find this very difficult to get right. You need just the right amount of water - brush needs to be dry enough so that paint misses some of the paper surface. Suggest keep the tree painting simple, especially mid or far distant.

Look forward to the next post!

Cheers,

Mike:thumbsup:

Debzy
11-18-2012, 08:57 AM
Well Mike, I had already done the next stage before I got your comment. :crossfingers: This is the next instalment, any advice welcome!!! :thumbsup: Thanks for your critique, I appreciate it, I always have trouble with trees! :rolleyes: Cheers and thanks Mike! :D Debs.

rossmarie
11-18-2012, 01:03 PM
Shaping up well Debs!

Foreground fence looks fine as does the fenced enclosure with its trees. Now that enclosure is painted it almost masks the dead centre tree that was bothering me. I like your highlights on the house roof and chimneys and the glint of the barn roof. You have also managed to create a lot of light in the picture by the contrast of the dark fence against the field.

It looks as if you have toned down the more intense blue in the sky and added some variation to it - which I like too. Assume you will be defining some tree trunks (light side/dark side) a little more?

It is going to turn out a very good watercolour. My only real criticisms (and these apply to my own paintings very often) are that the trees do appear a bit overworked and perhaps some of the washes have been overlaid too much which can make a picture lose it's sparkle.

Your output amazes me!!

best wishes

Mike:thumbsup:

rossmarie
11-19-2012, 04:55 AM
Debs - just another idea about creating depth and distance.

I think the strength of tone of the near fence and the trees in the middle enclosure is just about right - you can feel the distance between the two. If you had made the background trees paler in tone they would have receded away from the middle enclosure too.

Just a thought - not intended as a nitpick but trying to help!

Mike

Debzy
11-19-2012, 05:17 AM
Hi Mike,and thanks again! Yes, I understand what you are saying! I will try to reduce the colour of the background trees so they recede more, good suggestion! Much appreciated Mike. Cheers =)) Debs.

pjartwc
11-19-2012, 06:16 AM
A very relaxing painting. Mike has given you good advice

Andrewcody
11-19-2012, 08:03 PM
Looks great Deb.
Bullnose verandah needs work but I am certain that will be next installment
Love the close in fence, and how you managed the shadows first installment
Excellent use of minimal touch
Regards
Andrew

Debzy
01-21-2013, 12:20 AM
I finally decided to finish this one. I don't think I want to add any more to it as I don't want to overwork it any more. It's not a large painting so wont add too much detail. Toned down the background trees and added some trunks and light sides. Added a little more foreground detail and brightened up the mid ground trees. What do you think? Cheers, onto the next one. =)) Debs.

Wahsuzy
01-21-2013, 06:29 AM
Hi debz. I'm not experienced enough to give a "critique" but I like this and don't feel anything is over worked:). I like this and it makes me want to visit Australia at some point. Glad you are feeling like painting again:)

crafor
01-21-2013, 07:43 AM
I'm glad you're feeling better, too. This is a nice piece. Well done.
Take care,
Ella

arnieb
01-21-2013, 11:11 AM
Great to see up and back painting.
Wonderful painting:thumbsup: Using just 3 colours has worked very well. Arnie

Octopus Inc.
01-21-2013, 12:53 PM
Nice Debzy. Great way to start the new year.

Andrewcody
01-21-2013, 03:55 PM
Hi Debsy I agree nice start to the year :)
Nicely finished
Regards
Andrew

Debzy
01-22-2013, 06:11 AM
Susie, Ella, Arnie, October and Andrew! Thank you all for your kind sentiments and support. I feel so lucky to have such caring friends. I am feeling a lot better and hope to feel even better over time. Great to be on WC again and also to be painting again. I wasn't completely happy with this one but feel its time to move on to something else. Hoping to start a new one tomorrow. Will post my stages as I go. Cheers everyone and thank you again. Debs.

Debzy
01-22-2013, 06:51 AM
Susie, Ella, Arnie, October and Andrew! Thank you all for your kind sentiments and support. I feel so lucky to have such caring friends. I am feeling a lot better and hope to feel even better over time. Great to be on WC again and also to be painting again. I wasn't completely happy with this one but feel its time to move on to something else. Hoping to start a new one tomorrow. Will post my stages as I go. Cheers everyone and thank you again. Debs.

Debzy
01-22-2013, 12:21 PM
I meant "Octo" ! Silly auto correct ! Lol

silvenus
01-22-2013, 09:36 PM
Don't you think the horse looks a bit out of scale with both the fence and the cottage/palace

Debzy
01-25-2013, 11:25 PM
Hi Silvenus, yes it does look small but it is quite a distance away. I will post the ref photo, maybe I should make it a bit bigger???

Debzy
01-26-2013, 05:31 AM
I see now that I should have put the horse further back. I don't think I can change it now. Maybe I can lift some of his colour out and shorten his legs so he looks further back. Will see what I can Do. Cheers =)) Debs.

Trumper
01-26-2013, 06:20 AM
I think this is a perception of scale we are used to seeing.I wouldn't dream of seeing what looks like a cottage that size in the UK so my mind has difficulty getting the scale/size together.

maryinasia
01-26-2013, 09:49 AM
beautiful -- fun to see the richness and depth develop.

levanty
01-27-2013, 06:51 PM
LOVE THIS... please sir...may I have some more?

rossmarie
01-27-2013, 07:01 PM
Final version jolly good Debzy. Glad you feel like painting again. Can you post on open critique? .......I can't.

Mike :wave: :wave:

Debzy
01-27-2013, 07:20 PM
Trumpet, Mary, Yvie and Mike! Thank you so much for your responses! So nice to hear from you all and each of your comments/ support is so valuable to me. I am looking forward to doing more painting again thanks to you folks. Mike, I haven't even attempted Open forum because I got so frustrated with it in the past. I guess I could give it another try. I will let you know if it works for me yet. Cheers everybody and a massive thank you. Love you all. X Debs.