PDA

View Full Version : Next steps?

roundhouse1
11-17-2012, 02:08 PM
Apologies, I'm a newbie. No training whatsoever. I'm wondering about next steps for this one. Feel like I should put in the background before doing the detail work on the figure or I'll wind up doing it twice. Good plan or dumb? She's standing on the beach in front of water. Any general tips on painting water would be greatly appreciated. Since her skintones are so warm, should I do the background warm also or cool it down so that she stands out? Thank you in advance.
Details: Water mixable oils on canvas board. 18 x 24.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Nov-2012/1119562-photo1.JPG

DebbieO
11-17-2012, 10:48 PM
Great start! I love her!

I don't have any rules on how to proceed. But I'm not all that experienced either. I don't follow the same process everytime but often I will get my main shapes roughly blocked in, then work on my focus in a bit more detail then move to the surrounding areas again and bring in more detail and repeat until I'm satisfied. I usually have to go back to my background and rework it more to make sure it fits and often my first try isn't quite it, so I wouldn't worry too much about having to go over it again because I think you need to be willing to do that if it needs it.

Sometimes it's hard to see how it will work until you have it in there roughly.

For water I don't have any tips other than just try to paint what you see!

Debzy
11-18-2012, 02:06 AM
I think you have a great start too! I do think the body is a bit too small for her head, but I guess it depends on the perspective and that depends on the angle view and background to some degree. With water, I always block in the main colour areas and add highlights later with oils, but I am not an experienced oil painter by any means. In water colour I like to block in the main areas of colour leaving out the highlights (obviously the white paper) and work from light to dark on the rest. It really depends on the medium and also on your preference. If I were doing your painting, I think I would just block in a basic background and water to get the perspective and dimensions right, then add detail as necessary. Just my opinion of course. Great job so far, good expression on her face! Cheers =)) Debs.

roundhouse1
11-18-2012, 11:17 AM
Great suggestions; thank you. I will be taking them all. Can't wait to get started on the water with you tips. Feel like I need some of the background in to take away the negative space, then finesse, finesse. And with a fresh eye, I agree ... body might be too small. Have a nice Thanksgiving; I gave myself the holiday gift already of enrolling in a painting class in January.

Andrewcody
11-18-2012, 11:27 PM
The view seems slightly above the subject. This could be due to the proportion issue with the head and body. Or it could be correct. I dont think it is so bad. The head could be made smaller, the easier option. Or left as is. It is still an interesting little painting
Regards
Andrew

roundhouse1
12-01-2012, 02:09 PM
Apologies, I'm a newbie. No training whatsoever. I'm wondering about next steps for this one. Feel like I should put in the background before doing the detail work on the figure or I'll wind up doing it twice. Good plan or dumb? She's standing on the beach in front of water. Any general tips on painting water would be greatly appreciated. Since her skintones are so warm, should I do the background warm also or cool it down so that she stands out? Thank you in advance.
Details: Water mixable oils on canvas board. 18 x 24.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Nov-2012/1119562-photo1.JPG

Part of me likes the blue shadows on her, part of me wonders if the color is too weird. Thoughts? (Yes, I have to repaint the water. Think I tried to do too much. And I've only thrown a tone in for the sand.) I started over. It's now 24x36, water mixable oil on stretched canvas.

crafor
12-01-2012, 05:05 PM
Newbie here, too. Standard height for humans is about 7.5 heads tall, and here I count about 6.5. Here's a guide: http://drawinglab.evansville.edu/body.html. Using such a guide you can determine which area is short. As I see it, her waist, thighs, and calves need lengthened. Or, you could make her head smaller, as was said.
Other than that, this is overall a deent start.
Cut yourself some slack. This is the beginning, not near the finish. I don't think you tried to do too much. You're exploring, finding what works and adjusting what needs change somehow. It's good to do a bit more, stretch yourself. The blue areas define shadows for now, and may or not be changed as you progress. Even the hard sienna lines along her legs will eventually disappear, I bet.

For info on water, consider both the plein air forum and the marine art forum at http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=135

Hope this helps.
Ella

Andrewcody
12-05-2012, 07:35 PM
Looks like my Mum in the early 50s
I prefer the original image
The beach work looks like a posed for a photo rather than a painting
You have capture the face extremely well though
Regards
Andrew