PDA

View Full Version : 2nd time in oil pastels

Elwera
11-16-2012, 01:45 PM
This is my second time drawing in oil pastels >< I decided to dedicate this one to Ireland :lol:
Please comment, any tips or critiques will be very useful to me :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Nov-2012/800172-Halloween_038_smaller.jpg

Ru.dA.Ra
11-16-2012, 02:06 PM
What surface is this on?
Which oil pastels did you use?
What was your idea behind the hand?

Elwera
11-16-2012, 02:31 PM
Black cartridge paper.
Oil pastels: Staedtler.
And the idea? It was something that came up on my mind because I wanted to draw something in space... I'm only 16 and starting on art, therefore am FAR from an experienced artist :D Also I usually use coloring pencils as my main medium rather than oil pastels :)

Ru.dA.Ra
11-16-2012, 03:29 PM
I used to only play with graphite pencils until I wanted colour in my life.. Tried oil paints but that was no good. So I tried oil pastels and loved 'em. I've never tried colour pencils, you having tried colour pencils and oil pastels, how has your experience been with both?

DerRickster
11-16-2012, 03:50 PM
Good job. Like the color scheme.
Ok for starters like the monochrome of the hand with its shading and its position. The symmetry between the elements of the hand and fingers are off. It's fine if u want to stretch all the parts but it needs to be uniform between fingers, thumbs and wrist. Does this make sense?

DerRickster
11-16-2012, 04:00 PM
Like the glow around the globe. May want to extend it down more on the left side. Clouds by nature are hard to do. Overall great piece for being 16 and 2nd attempt

CarlyHardy
11-17-2012, 12:43 AM
Your drawing has a surrealist feel to it. Keep drawing and painting...you have talent and exploring with mediums can be the most fun. I can't wait to see your next idea!

Elwera
11-17-2012, 06:38 PM
I must say that coloring pencils are something I feel comfortable with, and something I can work with quite well... I personally find oil pastels difficult to work with when it comes to sharp details which I'm so used to when drawing :)
Thank you very much DerRickster, if I do decide to use oil pastels in the future, I will certainly take all of this into account...
Thank you CarlyHardy, I totally agree about the exploring mediums part, but I think I'm going to keep coloring pencils as my main medium :)

DerRickster
11-17-2012, 10:57 PM
You're CP works are outstanding Elwera. But I would still encourage you in perusing another medium to work with. Yes Sharp details can be difficult to achieve if you aren't used to the medium. Please don't give it up just yet. I'm just learning this medium myself. Different mediums = different tastes. I do like this work and you with a little practice can do some outstanding art. I personally would like to make a mental note of this piece you worked on. I would like to do a piece similiar in color and surrealism.

Yannse
11-18-2012, 11:59 AM
good idea,i prefer give earth a little bit light around the circle;)it will full of life

Pat Isaac
11-19-2012, 12:42 PM
I was sure I responded to this, but it must have gone into cyber space???
Anyway, this is a nice image and I agree with the hand drawing. There are some tools availble for getting details with the OPs. I use paper stumps a lot for edges and detail.
It is good to explore other media....that is how I found oil pastels and I do love them.

Pat