PDA

View Full Version : Tomatoes, Onions and Garlic

DebbieO
11-16-2012, 03:29 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Nov-2012/1121592-IMG_3492.JPG

18x20 Acrylic on Paper

Hi folks! I am trying to like this painting but I can't seem to get myself to. I don't see anything wrong with it however. I like elements of it but something about the finished piece puts me off. Maybe I just spent too much time staring at it :D Or maybe it's because it's just a dull still life.

It's really bugging me though!

DebbieO
11-16-2012, 03:35 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Nov-2012/1121592-IMG_3495.JPG

I took another picture to show detail and I like it better. Maybe it's the crop? Or maybe I just need to go to bed :)

pjartwc
11-16-2012, 08:06 AM
The crop is a much better composition. I think you need some dark on the right hand side. Perhaps a shadow of an object outside the picture frame. A few dark spots on stems in glass, and the top garlic in the dish. Love the reflections in the apple dish. Super painting!!

rossmarie
11-16-2012, 12:26 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Nov-2012/1111482-1121592-IMG_3492.JPG Debbie - there is nothing dull about your painting. It's lovely! The sheen on those apples in the dish is wonderful.

Actually, I like the original picture size - perhaps cropped a bit off the bottom (see my upload). It seems a pity to lose the interesting shape of the top of the apples dish.

Mike:thumbsup:

Trumper
11-16-2012, 12:50 PM
I think you have been looking at it too long,at a first look it looks great.:)
Personally i prefer the wider view

Andrewcody
11-16-2012, 09:20 PM
A very nice little painting Debby
Regards
Andrew

Debzy
11-17-2012, 09:13 AM
It's lovely Deb, I think quite often we work on a painting so much that we can't see the beauty in it and need fresh eyes from others. You have really done a wonderful job. It's certainly not a boring still life, its a still life full of life!!! Your colours and textures on the fruit and vegetables is brilliant!!! Cheers =)) Debs.

roundhouse1
11-17-2012, 02:23 PM
I'm just a newbie, so take my suggestion with a grain of salt. Overall, it's really great. I love the colors and the composition. Quite beautiful. I'm envious of your talent and skill! But I feel like it's maybe a little lacking in contrast or could use some more light? Very dark.

crafor
11-17-2012, 07:24 PM
I too, am new at this. I haven't done anything like this from life, and if this was done from a setup, you must be correct. The setup is appealing, and the light of the right corner, onto the tomatoes, onions, and garlic seems appropriate. But, what I would expect to see is: Your metal bowl is wonderful, great shape, well done reflections on the out side. Seems to me the inside of the bowl would be lighter, and show more reflections. The vase with water is also well done, but I think the refractive quality would cause the stems to be disconnected. Did I say that correctly? The vase appears misshaped at it's water level--the right side bulges out. The ellipse of the small bowl is wavy, the right side is taller than the rest. If that's what you wanted, okay.
I would like some light in the left corner to alleviate the darkness. It just seems off balance to me, and makes it s bit much. I don't understand what the ridge is to the right of the vase.
This is my uneducated opinion. I hope it helps you.
Ella

DebbieO
11-17-2012, 10:35 PM
Thanks for the feedback!

Debs, sometimes I take a mirror and look at it backwards to try and see it new and that shows what is or isn't wrong but I could see nothing with this one. I am not used to working so close with a small brush and it probably was making me cross-eyed :D

I ended up taking a bit off the bottom like Mike suggested but otherwise left it alone. I mounted it and dropped it off at a show & sale and I think I was much happier with it once I saw it on a frame. I wish I took a picture before dropping it off.

Roundhouse, I think that big dark area is a bit of what was bothering me too but everytime I tried to embellish it with some detail, probably due to it's position in the picture frame, it was more distracting and too busy. But the problem diminished significantly I found when I put it on a black mat with a black frame. With a white mat it was really heavy on the bottom. If I get a picture of it framed I'll post it. It's possible I didn't fix anything with it.

Ella, I should have posted sooner so I could apply the critique because the painting is gone now but I really appreciate your comments! Thanks for taking the time. Your critiques make good sense to me. I think the thing I would change the most would be the 'ridge.' That is actually the tabletop. I think I could live with the imperfect shape of the vase and the bowl though, just because I expect a little distortion in my paintings and I think I even like it better when they come out that way, depending on what the subject is of course!

Debzy
11-18-2012, 01:57 AM
Let us know how the show and sale go Deb! I also wanted to say that the light on the vase and water was very well done! I think your stems were distorted enough to look like they were in water in my opinion. Good luck with the sale. Debs. =))

Andrewcody
11-22-2012, 06:24 PM
I agree with Deb, Deb the water was well done
Perspective for containers arranged together can be problematic.
The small bowl is a little too far tilted towards the viewer, or it is correct and the others are tilted away too much :) But it does look hand made so I would not see this as a painting problem, more a potters problem.
I put all of these ingredients together last night and had some nice toasted Bruschetta with fresh olive oil drizzled over the top and some freshly shaved parmesan and black pepper.......so thank you for the idea :)
Regards and best of luck in the SHow
Andrew