PDA

View Full Version : Wharf Road

sundiver
09-02-2003, 09:29 PM
What an uninspired title- it's the actual name of the road. Feel free to jump in and suggest something better!
Of course, it was only AFTER I finished that I noticed dee-art's fine article on paths and foregrounds in the latest issue of the PJ!
I don't know if the scan is true, because my monitor is such a piece of excrement. Everything is olive green.
Critiques and comments are welcome. Not sure about the composition; maybe you can help me out there.
8x10 o.p. on gessoed mattboard.
Thanks for looking!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Sep-2003/6393-WharfRdAugust.jpg

Deborah Secor
09-02-2003, 09:59 PM
Very nice, sundiver. I love that you have a 'visual treat' of the red flowers near the apex of the pathway--just what I would have recomended! LOL

I love the details of the big strapping leaves in the fore that point to the roadway, too. The white flower may be a bit too strong, dragging my eye down where you don't want your viewer to linger. Maybe transplant it up near the red one.

I suggest that you keep the shadows from looking like stripes. Right now they are a little bit evenly spaced. I'd design them with the apex of the road in mind.

And maybe you could ever so slightly darken the area in the background near the apex, to give a smidgen more added punch.

All just ideas--I like this a lot! Whatever you decide...

Dyin
09-02-2003, 10:43 PM
well, an inspired painting with an un-inspired name! I like it very much...I didn't notice the white flower lol...but agree that it needs a bit more punch at the apex...nice work!

angecald
09-03-2003, 12:27 AM
Very nice work, indeed, and I must say "Wharf Road" doesn't give any clue to the subject matter. It needs something more poetic, but I'm no good at titles myself. Something like "Into the Shadows" or "The Beckoning Road" -- but better than those, of course!

Mikki Petersen
09-03-2003, 12:28 AM
All the suggestions could only enhance an already lovely painting. If the original is all olive green, your scanner is hallucinating because I see lovely pinks, reds, blues and purples in there with the greens. I really like what I see here.

Mikki Petersen
09-03-2003, 12:30 AM
By the way...I quit using a scanner to post my art. I find my digital camera works much better, no matter how small the subject. Much truer colors and crisper images. If you don't have a digital camera, they are getting really reasonable price-wise...and Christmas is just around the corner...:)

CarlyHardy
09-03-2003, 12:38 AM
You have used all my favorite colors!! If its called Wharf Road...and you want to sell it locally, call it that. If you want to sell it and noone would care about the name of the road, but instead like the warm inviting scene, then give it a more romantic title.

"Come Walk With Me" is one of my favs!

Only thing that bothers me is the reddish horizontal line across the foreground. It cuts off the invitation to enter...like a fence without a gate. Cover that area with your hand and see the difference. A bit darker toward your focal point will draw the eye in more also.

Great use of color!
carly

sundiver
09-03-2003, 07:24 AM
Thanks, Deborah, Sue, Agnes, Mikki and Carly for all your good advice!
Deborah, I agree with everything you said. Carly, that red line bothers me, too, although I'm not sure what to do with it. I'm going to try to follow the suggestions and may well ruin the thing, in which case I'll just do it over, because I like the subject.
The road ends right in front of our cottage. (I did a plein aire facing in the opposite direction- will try to scan it and post to the weekly sketches tonight)
All your title suggestions are better than Wharf Road!:D
Mikki, it's my monitor that's all olive green. And interesting what you say about a digital camera. The Mavica at school , used indoors, makes everything look like it was steeped in tea.
Thanks again...now back to the drawing board!

Wendy

Nori
09-03-2003, 09:49 PM
I know I am going to come back and look at this a few more times. I really like the way my eye is drawn down along the path/road. I am really liking the shadows too.

jackiesimmonds
09-04-2003, 03:11 AM
A nice way to title something is to use the time of day, rather than the name of the place or road. Or perhaps both together.

Lovely feeling to this pic.
J

Mo.
09-04-2003, 06:08 PM
Well the title may be uninspired but the painting sure isn't....

Wendy this is absolutely gorgeous, I love every single thing about.:clap:clap::clap:

Mo.:)