PDA

View Full Version : Rough seas at Puerto de la Cruz

rossmarie
11-13-2012, 06:29 PM
This one, I admit, is a bit "rough around the edges" Painted on holiday on Tenerife. It was a very stormy day with a howling northerly wind. The sky was lurid with an evil green streak in it (more turquoise in my painting!) and a low sun had just peeped out behind me under the edge of dark cloud lighting up the waves in brilliant light.

Tried to capture the essence of it all......

Crits welcome - warts and all! (it's a watercolour about 14 x 10 in)

Mike

P.S. the white blobs along the cliff top indicate whitewashed houses perched precariously on the top....should have taken a bit more care with them.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Nov-2012/1111482-Rough_seas_at_Puerto_de_la_Cruz_Tenerife_re-sized.JPG

crafor
11-13-2012, 10:05 PM
Good forms, I think--but like I've said, I'm a beginner. On a stormy day, I'd think there'd be a lot of darks --grays, greens, blacks, blues, under the white. I think that there would be a lot of dark on the distant hillside, also.
Your water has a lot of movement. Add the colors to make it stormy.
Hope this helps.
Ella
who also has a hard time with darks:)

pjartwc
11-14-2012, 05:38 AM
Hi Mike, I took the liberty of brightening your painting up a bit. Love, love, love the water and the wave against the rock. The background and sky bother me. I see all the same diagonal lines. If you wanted the hills that way, perhaps make the sky angle flow the other direction. Perhaps a dark blue wash over the left side coming down toward the large rock. Also, don't know if you need the vertical rock at upper right. Draws too much attention.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Nov-2012/116333-1111482-Rough_seas_at_Puerto_de_la_Cruz_Tenerife_re-sized.jpg

rossmarie
11-14-2012, 06:18 AM
Hi Jan - yes, dare I say it but I also like the water....happy accident!

The background bothers me too. The cliff and far mountain were on the same angle but it doesn't work in the picture and I could see it as soon as I painted it. Made the mistake of trying to record what was there rather than compose a picture. Not sure I can retrieve the situation by putting another wash over the sky but I agree with all you say.

Thank you Ella for your comment too. Strange as it may seem, I think I got the water colour about right. It was brilliant and predominantly blue. Think the reason is a) the intensity of light in the tropics and b) deep water.
Here at home in England, a rough sea would, as you suggest, show more dark blues, grays and greens - even browns because, at least where I live, the sea is shallow and the sand and mud gets churned up by the breaking waves.

Mike:wave:

Debzy
11-14-2012, 06:52 AM
Hi Mike! I agree with all that has been said! I absolutely love the water, the waves, the colour and the energy and movement there. The wave power is awesome! I love the foreboding clouds at the top and the bright blue / green light sky peeking through that is also shown in the water! You definitely have recreated the mood and atmosphere of the day! Well done! I agree it was unfortunate that the mountains and cliff were angled as they were.... but that is how they were and, the mood of that place and that day are there for you to bring back memories forever. Good work and great use of water colour once again. Cheers =)) Debs.

Andrewcody
11-14-2012, 06:46 PM
After your description of the day it is a wonder you survived.
So after considering that this was painted in force 10 gale conditions
WELL DONE Mike

Regards
Andrew

rossmarie
11-15-2012, 03:32 AM
Thanks Debzy & Andrew for your generous comments.

It's not the best of compositions (or painting skills) but it certainly reminds me of the day.......if the wind had suddenly shifted 180 degrees or so I would have made it home without the air ticket!!

Mike