PDA

View Full Version : Forest clearing

mgranstedt
11-13-2012, 10:20 AM
Please help me with this painting, I'm stuck! I don't know how to make it a "wow-painting". Maybe it's ok but I want to take my paintings to the next level and I really don't know how to do that.

I would really appreciate if someone can help me!

crafor
11-13-2012, 11:30 AM
Take what I have to say with a grain of salt, I'm learning, too. When I first see your work, what I see is pretty much one tone, I think is the word. Not much change in color, even.
I'm not a photo-shopper, but I'd say push the dark areas:Where are the shadows? darken your green with blues, purple, violet, browns. Where is the light source? lighten--highlight some places, with brighter greens, even a bit of yellow or off whites. Consider adding a little color re reds, purples, violets, oranges.
Hope this helps.
Ella

Trumper
11-13-2012, 11:33 AM
Take what I have to say with a grain of salt, I'm learning, too. When I first see your work, what I see is pretty much one tone, I think is the word. Not much change in color, even.
I'm not a photo-shopper, but I'd say push the dark areas:Where are the shadows? darken your green with blues, purple, violet, browns. Where is the light source? lighten--highlight some places, with brighter greens, even a bit of yellow or off whites. Consider adding a little color re reds, purples, violets, oranges.
Hope this helps.
Ella
+1 Ella pretty much sums it up for me,basically darker darks and more variety of light and greens. :thumbsup:

rossmarie
11-13-2012, 05:59 PM
Hello mgrandstedt - you are not alone......I often feel stuck....but the benefit of this forum is that others (all trying to improve just like you) can get ideas and tips that just don't seem to occur to us when we stare in desperation at our own paintings!

Forgive me - it is probably my fault - but I have some difficulty interpreting your picture. Does the large green area represent a moss/lichen covered rock face? I can see a plant (top left) growing out of it.

My feeling is that there is just too much green. As Ella has said, more colour variation and highlights are needed. They would bring the painting "alive" and give it some sparkle.

Do not despair - you look to have a good painting technique.

regards

Mike :thumbsup:

P.S. was the animal face - a pair of dark eyes and a nose (top left) -intentional?

pjartwc
11-14-2012, 06:28 AM
Will try to help. I see yours as first a composition problem. You have a huge expansion of greens to the left and a huge expansion of white to the right. I know you tried to compensate by adding green branches to the white area. The white mushroom on lower left helps some. You need light. Perhaps scrubbing out the left side of the tree trunk, let dry and add a few vertical tree trunk shapes. You could also lift some of the green to make them even lighter on the left side. The trees on the left should not end so straight edged.

Andrewcody
11-14-2012, 11:40 PM
Pick some of the shapes in all that green and the mushrooms and define them with a a good flat brush. This will get rid of the overall flatness of your work
Cut in and be bold
Regards
Andrew

mgranstedt
11-15-2012, 11:42 AM
Thank you! I really appreciate your feedback. I will try to implement some of your ideas in the next painting session. During the last couple of days I've been staring at the painting and I think it's a good idea to take a brake. Hopefully I can watch it with fresh eyes in a week or so.

mgranstedt
11-16-2012, 05:11 PM
A quick update from tonights session.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Nov-2012/132754-rps20121116_231348.jpg

song_bird
11-16-2012, 06:05 PM
Wow, your painting has really come alive! I'm not sure what the coi is, but would like to see your critter stand out more. The sky and birds seem to get the most attention.

mgranstedt
11-24-2012, 02:56 PM
Another update.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Nov-2012/132754-rps20121124_131412.jpg

philbe123
11-26-2012, 05:42 PM
this looks good so far. i'm not quite sure but the tree stump. it appears to go from light to dark to light and the light bit on the left is in the shade. if you look at a cylinder in a similar setting, this should help you with tonal values. so on the right it would be light, the middle would be the mid tones(just a touch lighter on the brown) and then almost van dyke brown on the left. does this make sense?

Andrewcody
11-27-2012, 06:53 PM
Put the birds back in the sky, they allowed the viewer to see the depth in the sky above the forest clearing
Remove the bird from the stump....please.
Darken the stump, think about where the light can reach into the clearing
Maybe put a frog on the stump if you want something there.
Regards
Andrew