PDA

View Full Version : King parrot

mirizar
11-10-2012, 11:30 AM
I found this reference image by doppler in the GOUACHE CORNER April/May 2012 and fell in love with it as soon as I saw it...I'm a fan of color and this one screamed painting, so I asked her permission to paint it in oil pastels and here is my result. Approx. 11 x 15 on clear-gessoed matboard with watercolor underpainting using Erengis (and a colored pencil for the eye and portions of the beak--hope this isn't cheating ;)).

C&C are welcome. I think I should have gone lighter on the background especially the top part but now I'm too afraid to touch it. I decided to use directional diagonal strokes on the background to emphasize the diagonal composition. The red is a little brighter in real life and the loquats (seeds) near the bird's head are more defined in real life (not as white).

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Nov-2012/31994-pastel_bird.jpg

scottishwifie
11-10-2012, 12:36 PM
This is lovely, love the bright colours and texture of the feathers well done

hask2004
11-10-2012, 01:10 PM
Nicely done :)

Flycatcher10
11-10-2012, 01:54 PM
This is a nice painting for sure! You captured the parrot with all it's wonderful colors. Exciting, bright colors that really do pop!

The background is beautifully done, but I do agree with you it overpowers the parrot a little.

aolaranora
11-10-2012, 02:23 PM
Very dynamic painting!

Pat Isaac
11-10-2012, 03:11 PM
Nicely done, parrot and the colors are very vibrant. I also think the background is a little busy and overpowering the parrot. I do like the abstract quality though.

Pat

PaulsArt
11-10-2012, 04:08 PM
Hi,

It looks nice, but I think the bright leaf at the top of the parrot's back should go. Where it should go I am not sure but it should go LOL. :) The leaf green and the bird green are too close together for it to be that close proximity IMHO. I hope that is helpful and makes some sense. :)

doppler
11-10-2012, 04:30 PM
Beautifully done! :clap: :clap: :clap:

mirizar
11-10-2012, 06:32 PM
Hi all! Thanks a lot for the comments. The background is a little overpowering like some of you are saying. However the darks are not as dark in real life (the photo shows too dark darks). Lesson learned for next time.

Paul - I see what you mean about the leaf. Will making it greyer or bluer ;closer to the background) help?

PaulsArt
11-11-2012, 10:24 PM
Hi Michelle,

Bluer might work, as long as it is something that gives color separation from the bird feathers. Or just taking it out might work too. White right in the middle of the painting is a bit distracting is all.

CarlyHardy
11-11-2012, 11:00 PM
I went back and took a second look after reading comments. Have to agree about the light leaf just above the bird...it could be removed without changing the painting.

I really like the abstraction of the background but don't think you need that much of the diagonal strokes. The bird himself follows the diagonal and adding to that does overpower him somewhat.

Give the painting a few days to 'set' and you can add some new strokes.

mirizar
11-12-2012, 09:29 AM
Thanks all for the excellent suggestions! Will get rid of that leaf...now wondering if the stick coming out of the parrots back will look strange...hmmm...

I think it is the large indigo blob in the background above the parrot that needs toning down...

mirizar
11-12-2012, 01:02 PM
Ok, so here are the revisions. I just realized that the original photo had issues with exposure. The darks were not really as dark as shown in the picture.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Nov-2012/31994-revised_bird.jpg

So I removed the leaf near the back of the parrot and also lightened some of the background. It is even lighter in real life than shown in the picture. Please ignore two vertical lighter lines in the picture. It is just from light coming through my blinds.

Lasmeja
11-12-2012, 11:53 PM
Very nicely done! Excellent colors!

stee71
11-15-2012, 05:54 PM
Wow what a great OP, i like the 1st version but i think your changes really do enhance the parrot :clap:

Pat Isaac
11-15-2012, 05:57 PM
Yes, the changes are great!!!!
Pat

CarlyHardy
11-15-2012, 06:49 PM
The changes really bring out the parrot. Frame him with black for more drama!

mirizar
11-15-2012, 07:40 PM
Thanks Pat and Carly and stee! Carly, do you mean black mat or frame?

PaulsArt
11-16-2012, 12:08 AM
Wow, that is quite an improvement Michelle! It really helped changing that leaf near the parrot's back. Dang it tho, are the tail feathers really as dark as they appear in the photo? They look to be black, and not much of a hint of green or whatever color they are. I don't know why I didn't notice that before. I think it seems odd because there is plenty of light under the front part of the bird. So it seems like there should be some light under the rear of the bird too. Seems to me anyway, I haven't seen the original image to compare. But even if the original has it that dark, it would be nice to see some of the tail feather colors, IMHO. Sure does look better tho! It's getting to be a dramatic painting. :)

Frostie
12-04-2012, 04:00 AM
He's really beautiful. The red/orange in his feathers really pops against the blue background.
Helen

mirizar
12-04-2012, 10:35 AM
Thanks Helen!