PDA

View Full Version : Just starting out

JonnyMack
11-10-2012, 09:22 AM
Hello,

So my six year old daughter really loves art, but she doesn't really get a lot of exposure to it at school. So I decided to start painting regularly with her and it led to my curiosity of what I could do. So here you go...one isn't finished and the other is probably just a study. I'm an absolute beginner so I'm very interested in what you far more experienced/accomplished folks may think. The unfinshed painting of the barn is from a book by George Durkee and the clouds came from me just trying to learn to paint them.

Well....let me know what you think, obviously all your critiques are welcome.

Thanks for your time. :)

Jon

Trumper
11-10-2012, 01:09 PM
:) Hi and how lovely to have something you can do with your Daughter,quality time and fun.
Regarding the paintings,abstract ( is that the right word?? ) is very difficult to comment on because it is personal,not having seen the original photo it is really hard to add anything.
The clouds look fluffy and light,once again are you going for realism?
I hope you and your Daughter really have a great time together,painting is first and foremost fun,i wish my children would show some interest :)
Keep posting :thumbsup:

rossmarie
11-10-2012, 01:37 PM
Hi JonnyMack

I like this "quirky" painting very much - the swirl of the grass, the rather less than vertical barn, the sky and the feeling of light you have achieved. The barn looks as if it might explode at any minute!

Perhaps the trees are a bit heavy and too uniformly dark green but overall it is a very attractive painting.

The only change I would definitely make would be to tone down the very white track - get a bit of colour into it - perhaps indicate some grassy bits in the middle - and get rid of those brown lines along each edge of the track which make it look too defined.

Mike :thumbsup:

P.S. Your cloud picture looks good - well done

JonnyMack
11-11-2012, 07:08 AM
:) Hi and how lovely to have something you can do with your Daughter,quality time and fun.
Regarding the paintings,abstract ( is that the right word?? ) is very difficult to comment on because it is personal,not having seen the original photo it is really hard to add anything.
The clouds look fluffy and light,once again are you going for realism?
I hope you and your Daughter really have a great time together,painting is first and foremost fun,i wish my children would show some interest :)
Keep posting :thumbsup:

Thank you Thumper! My daughter is a wonderful little girl. She loves to do many different activities, but painting is her favorite. I wanted to post one of her paintings, but she wouldn't let me. :)

About what I've done, I was trying to make the barn look somewhat realistic with maybe a few over exaggerated lines for fun. The clouds came, when my daughter and I lying in the front yard and looking at the sky. We immediately wanted to try and paint them. It was lots of fun.

Thank you for your comments.

Jonathan

JonnyMack
11-11-2012, 07:17 AM
Hi JonnyMack

I like this "quirky" painting very much - the swirl of the grass, the rather less than vertical barn, the sky and the feeling of light you have achieved. The barn looks as if it might explode at any minute!

Perhaps the trees are a bit heavy and too uniformly dark green but overall it is a very attractive painting.

The only change I would definitely make would be to tone down the very white track - get a bit of colour into it - perhaps indicate some grassy bits in the middle - and get rid of those brown lines along each edge of the track which make it look too defined.

Mike :thumbsup:

P.S. Your cloud picture looks good - well done

Mike,

I really appreciate your thoughts, thank you I agree - the trees are a bit dark, and the road needs to be finished. I like the idea of putting grassy bits through the middle. This is definitely going to happen. I was also planning on putting some wild flowers throughout the grass and along the road, but whenever I try to make a stem it seems very unnatural looking...maybe too thick or maybe too straight. I plan on sitting down and just painting thistle bushes both near and far and see if I can lock down some sort of technique. :)

I find myself a bit annoyed by the door on the far left. The actual door was supposed to look like it simply fell off and is lying just in front, but I think the perspective needs a bit of help.

Thanks again,

Jon

Debzy
11-11-2012, 07:50 AM
A charming start!!!! Keep going, you are onto something good and have your daughter to share it with. Beautiful. I love the topsy turvy feel of the scene, almost like something from Alice in wonderland. Quirky, swirly, twisted and fun! Well done and looking forward to seeing more! As for stems, they don't need to be thick, just a suggestion with a thin almost disappearing line with the wildflower being the focus. Good luck, and I hope you can talk your daughter into letting you post something of hers. Cheers =)) Debs.

JonnyMack
11-11-2012, 01:26 PM
A charming start!!!! Keep going, you are onto something good and have your daughter to share it with. Beautiful. I love the topsy turvy feel of the scene, almost like something from Alice in wonderland. Quirky, swirly, twisted and fun! Well done and looking forward to seeing more! As for stems, they don't need to be thick, just a suggestion with a thin almost disappearing line with the wildflower being the focus. Good luck, and I hope you can talk your daughter into letting you post something of hers. Cheers =)) Debs.

Thank you very much Debzy. I'll post the barn again with the changes to the road and with a few added wildflowers. :)