PDA

View Full Version : Where three rivers meet. oil. WIP.

Debzy
11-09-2012, 12:26 AM
This is a painting from a photograph, I am doing it in art class. We are trying to use vibrant colours and larger brush movement. Don't think I am quite succeeding but its a change! Not finished yet. All crits and suggestions welcome. Cheers =)) Debs. The photo is lot lighter than the actual painting, too much light shining on it and wet paint to get a good pic.

crafor
11-09-2012, 09:08 AM
Is there anything you can't do? This is a good start. Good movement in the sky. I like the foreground water, but the reflection to the left of those two old trees doesn't yet have a cause.
I don't understand the orange in the foreground, and the old trees across the way ont the right have heavy trunks, but not much crown. It's confusing. I would expect under that heavy sky that the water in the far back would be gray or purple-y.
Ella

Debzy
11-09-2012, 11:45 PM
Hi Ella! And thank you! Yes, I still have a way to go on this, the reflection is not right yet and the water should be more purple in the distance. I ran out of time so had to leave it at this point until time permits but I see where you are coming from thanks! The orange is sand, but I am trying to go for bold colours and more sweeping strokes. The trees on the right still need attention for sure, they are only blocked in roughly. Will post next stage soon. Thank you for viewing and taking time to comment, hopefully I can get it looking good soon. Cheers =)) Debs.

JonnyMack
11-10-2012, 11:07 AM
Beautiful!

Trumper
11-10-2012, 01:02 PM
Looks a promising start,just wondered how going to lessons is altering your painting techniques and ideas.:)

Debzy
11-11-2012, 07:20 AM
Thanks Jonny and Trumper! The lessons are more for ideas and company of other painters of like - mind! I have learnt a few things though and am expanding my knowledge and skills somewhat. Most of my ideas and techniques are from art tutorials or just my own from trial and error. It is good though to get together with other painters and trade ideas!!!!!!!! cheers and thanks again =)) Debs.

Andrewcody
11-11-2012, 06:57 PM
Oils - I will be following closely :)

I need to get the easel cranked up

Andrew

La_
11-13-2012, 12:32 AM
you've just still got the water colory stage going on and the next coat will fix that up
nice comp! and the evergreens already look marvelous
i'm sure you'll tidy it all up nicely, no boat/fisherman/wildlife is necessary even!

la

Debzy
11-13-2012, 06:58 AM
Hi La and thank you so much! I appreciate your encouragement and comments! Yes it still has quite a bit more to go when the time allows! Nice to hear from you, always a pleasure! =)) Cheers Debs.

rossmarie
11-15-2012, 08:11 AM
Debzy - I like the way this is coming on and the water reflections right hand side look good. I see you are being encouraged to use vibrant colour and that is good too - but I have one misgiving about that - I don't like the purple in the clouds. Yes, you see purple in skies but not usually so pronounced. Methinks the clouds would look better with a bit more blue in them. In watercolour, I find various combinations of cobalt blue, french ultramarine and just a hint of cadmium red work quite well for the underside of clouds. Sometimes I add a touch of raw sienna to "grey" them off a touch. Now you are painting in oils, so possibly it doesn't work quite the same and I may be talking nonsense...........nevertheless I would think about changing the cloud colour tones.

I would be interested to know what other people think

Cheers,

Mike:wave:

DebbieO
11-17-2012, 11:10 PM
Lovely! I agree with Mike about the clouds. I think you could maintain the essence of the purple hue but not have it dominate.

I think the trees in the far back could use a bit of atmosphere to give some depth. That's a maybe though. I'm not confident about that.

Debzy
11-18-2012, 01:40 AM
Thanks Mike and Deb! Originally the plan in our class was to try to replicate the Ken Long style, but I think I failed miserably even at this stage, I don't think I can copy someone else's style. I have had my own for too long now. He uses a great deal of Orange, Purple and blue, very vivid, and has a very swirly and free style. I think I will complete it in my own way and have another go some other time. Thanks for all the feedback. Cheers =)) Debs.

Andrewcody
11-22-2012, 06:46 PM
I am not familiar with Ken Long but I have seen what you can do Deb. So please stick to your own style. When copying another artists style we can only take it so far, the visual aspects, but not the 'emotional' aspects of the original artist. Plus of course we all see colour each in our own way. I just read some physics material which states that colour in the natural world does not really exist at all, that we create it through our eye....makes us even more surprisingly interesting. Bit scary too for some reason :)
Studio for me this weekend, I just hope I can get this site to allow me to post something.
Regards
Andrew

rossmarie
11-23-2012, 04:18 AM
Agree with Andrew's latest comment Debs. You can get ideas from other artists but in the end it has to be expressed on the paper in YOUR way - and you do it very well.
I have made passable copies of other artist's work - but when it comes to trying to imitate a style without a reference, then I fail miserably. What comes out is my style....just need to improve it, that's all!

Mike

arnieb
11-28-2012, 08:29 AM
Great start. Lots of movement and strong colours. Those reflections will bring it all to life when there done. Arnie