PDA

View Full Version : Back

Dcam
11-07-2012, 09:28 PM
Ahhh: How nice to have power.
9 days without it. (JUST CAME ON)
Living like "Little House on the Prairie" getting water from the creek to flush the toilets, cooking on the wood stove and BBQ grill. Gas lines (odd and even just like the Jimmy Carter years).
No real damage this year to the house or trees, but power lines down all over.
The Jersey Shore got hit REALLY hard, well; you saw the pictures.
I love my little generator, but it only runs a few things:
first priority........the coffee pot.
Man, did I miss my internet.

I have to say that in this day and age (21st century) Power lines on telephone poles are PRIMITIVE.

Nice to be back. http://www.studiotrax.net/smilies/drink1.gif Off to the studio and it is warm. derek

allydoodle
11-07-2012, 10:57 PM
Welcome back Derek! Glad to hear you're okay, no damage this time :clap: . My husband said the same thing about the power lines, above ground is so primative (he used the same descriptive)..... It's crazy, and now tonight we're dealing with high winds, rain and snow..... I'm not enjoying the weather these days... I was without power, but for only three days this time. We also have a generator, though it can only do so much. But, it's better than nothing, that's for sure. I am grateful to have it, and I know you are too. Enjoy your lights, I'm sure you missed them!

adventureartist
11-08-2012, 12:33 AM
So glad to hear from you both! Stay safe through the storms.:wave:

Turpintine45
11-08-2012, 12:41 AM
Derek and Chris, I am so glad you are back and safe and sound. Good job you had a handy creek Derek! You would think that if they can put cable down under ground, and they are doing it all the time, that they could put electrical down the same way!
I too have been shut out since the WC updates so have been following along but not able to comment, felt a bit adrift myself! Thanks to Ruthie and Yorky I appear to be back! Yea! :eek:

Ruthie57
11-08-2012, 04:32 AM
D Coffee, so pleased you're back! And with no real damage either. It's good to know my US "family" are all accounted for and safe!
(Jen, so glad it got sorted.)

*Marina*
11-08-2012, 04:45 AM
Derek, great to hear you are OK.

Colorix
11-08-2012, 07:11 AM
Derek, great to know all is fine with you and property, and being cast back in times prior to electricity was all you had to endure. Amazing how quickly we have gotten used to have the whole world at our touch-typing fingertips.

bluefish
11-08-2012, 08:18 AM
Derek

so glad you had no damage and are back.....and don't have to stand in the gas lines anymore....

I'm still a 'evacuee'.....have no idea when I will get home permanently.....was allowed in on Monday for a few hours for a 'grab and fetch' operation....had no damage, house had power, TV and internet but no gas....they shut the entire Island off because of leaks....it could be months till it's restored and I have gas everything..... and it snowed on the beach last night......two weeks ago, I was fishing on the beach in my bathing suit.....:rolleyes:

'blue :wave:

rugman
11-08-2012, 09:40 AM
Good to see you back and in good health

All you guys and gals up there... been following all the events, best wishes for you all. Sounds like things are getting better in most places. Hang in there.

Dcam
11-08-2012, 09:57 AM
Thanks so much my dear "dust" family.:)

Blue: Prayers for you Laddie, hang in there. I hope all is well soon. That snow was just more salt in the wound.

Derek

Kathryn Wilson
11-08-2012, 10:58 AM
Derek, Chris and Blue - so glad you are surviving these two storms. Derek, you are a survivor - so many people do not have the skills or knowledge on how to take care of themselves in situations like this.

Blue - how sad that you can't go home!

As to power lines, in NC we have outages all the time - here in our little subdivision all the lines are underground, but the power to our lines is above ground - how silly is that!

Colorix
11-08-2012, 11:15 AM
Blue, it is great you had no damage, being in one of the parts that were hit the worst.

Dcam
11-08-2012, 04:20 PM
Hey Kat: Luv ya'
Derek

Lynndidj
11-08-2012, 05:02 PM
So glad to hear that everyone is ok!! Derek - you had us concerned for a while. Glad you managed and had no damage. It is REALLY hard to be without internet service!! Blue - so sorry to hear you have to wait to return home, but very glad everything is well at your home. Hopefully you took some art supplies back to your daughter's house and are happily painting away (I know I'm being optimistic here). Hopefully the 2nd storm didn't cause anymore damage - God knows you all don't need any more weather related issues.

Blue, just have to tell you, I broke down and ordered more Ludwigs - couldn't resist. Taking a class with Terry in Chesterton, Indiana next weekend. I've already slapped my own hand. I still have an addiction.

Lynn

Dougwas
11-08-2012, 05:05 PM
Great to see you back here, Derek. I bet it feels great now when you turn that light switch to on and the light actually comes on. Wishing you and your family the best and I hope you get your lives back to normal ASAP. Take care.

Doug

Dcam
11-08-2012, 05:32 PM
Thanks so much Lynn.

Doug: you don't know how many times I tried the switch, forgetting that the power was off.......terrible to get old. Thanks buddy.
:lol:
Derek

water girl
11-08-2012, 07:31 PM
I'm relieved to hear that you are all well. I hope this last blast of cold has not caused further hardship. Stay safe.

scall0way
11-08-2012, 08:04 PM
Derek, I'm glad you are back and all is well. NJ has really been getting hit hard. It makes me glad I moved to Florida a year ago :D. Well other reasons too, I adore it down here. But it's been a struggle up there. I still have friends and family in the area. My sister never lost power at all, others did but most got it back in about 3-4 days. Still haven't heard from one friend in Lake Hopatcong area. I hope the worst is over and the winter will go easy on you!

Dcam
11-08-2012, 08:27 PM
Thanks so much Karen.

Hey there Debbie. Nice to hear from you. Our PSNJ juried show was cancelled and moved up a week due to power outages. Wish me luck. Miss you.
Derek:wave:

scall0way
11-08-2012, 08:38 PM
Hey there Debbie. Nice to hear from you. Our PSNJ juried show was cancelled and moved up a week due to power outages. Wish me luck. Miss you.Derek:wave: Wow, and last year the day of receiving and judging was the day of the big Halloween BLIZZARD. The juried show is getting jinxed. :D I miss you and all the art friends up in NJ, but I have to say I love it here in Florida. I'm involved in 3 different art groups here - 2 all-media groups, and the newly formed (this year) First Coast Pastel Society, won two awards in the last year, at the Orange Park Art Guild and the St. Augustine Art Association. And the weather has been quite nice also. :D

I haven't done as much with my pastels in this last year as I would like, but I'm trying to get organized to work on it a bit more. :D Stay safe and warm.

Dcam
11-09-2012, 08:56 AM
Good for you Deb. :clap:

bluefish
11-09-2012, 11:20 AM
finally can go home tomorrow....only those with proper I.D. will be allowed on the north end of the Island.....the south end residents will not be allowed back yet(Beach haven-Holgate).......have electric but no gas.....but it will be so nice to be HOME!

Lynn....after what I have just been through, indulger yourself because who knows what is ahead of any of us....enjoy each and everyday.....load up on Ludwigs, if that's one of the things in life that makes you happy....:thumbsup:

'blue

bnoonan
11-09-2012, 12:07 PM
I'm happy you are all ok, that's far most important. Your health and safety of your loved ones.

Next of course... your pastel sets... and paintings... right?

May the course of the events you've endured provide fodder for future paintings and emotive color choices and appreciation for what we most often take for granted.

Easy does it. Be kind to yourselves. Don't feel guilty for not having the energy to paint if you can't right away. Rest. It's all part of the process and after being stuck 5 days due to the flight cancellations, I speak from some area of experience.

We appreciate having you back and I'm glad you got home 'blue

Turpintine45
11-09-2012, 12:32 PM
Blue I am so glad you can finally get back home. I hope and pray you and your fellow islanders can get back to normal soon. As Barb said be kind to yourself.

bluefish
11-09-2012, 07:37 PM
thank you all so much......I really appreciate your kind words and sentiments.....it's been a tough few weeks and not finished yet.....but life goes on and so should we.....:wave:

Deborah Secor
11-10-2012, 01:31 PM
Back from a week in San Francisco, wondering the whole time what was going on with both of you, Derek and blue... Glad to know you fared at least as well as you have. Sometimes it just takes perseverance. Hang in there, blue. Hope the gas is back on quickly, too. :wave:

sketchZ1ol
11-10-2012, 02:20 PM
hello
guys , glad to read you are well on your way back .

underground power lines make sense , up to a point , because of access , right of way , customer density , etc. , and , of course , politics .
> hopefully someone will oil up the ole abacus and crunch the numbers .
customers may have to address the issue of underground feed to their building .
>> there is the matter of private vs public contract for the feeds .
>>> also , there would have to be grid and individual breakers .
-> a similar idea might work for the gas lines ...
>> it could possibly be legislated ,
the $ would have to come from somewhere .
... an interesting scenario for agreement and support - could be a win-win ...

anyway , hope your relatives , friends , and neighbors , are getting back up .

Ed :}

crazywoman53
11-11-2012, 08:19 PM
Glad to hear everyone up there is safe and sound and back together. These power outages are not fun.

*Deirdre*
11-15-2012, 09:16 AM
Glad to hear all of our dusties are safe and sound after such a long time waiting...and with electricity too! It's funny how we don't really appreciate it until it's gone...and we certainly moan about bills...but it's all needed to keep us going in the style to which we've become accustomed...as they say!:lol:

Also glad to hear Blue will be home soon....one happy camper eh?:D

Judi1957
11-17-2012, 08:26 AM
Derek, Chris, Blue--So happy to hear you are all safe and home. :clap: :heart: :clap: :heart:

bluefish
11-17-2012, 07:38 PM
just had my gas restored.....the entire North end of the Island has gas and they are starting to move south but some areas are so ravaged, they can't go in there.....will be a long time before a lot of inhabitants are allowed back.....

very thankful for being in the position I'm in.....it was a tough few weeks but can see a small light at the end of the tunnel....:thumbsup:

'blue :wave:

thevaliantx
11-17-2012, 09:45 PM
I was just telling my wife last week that the day is going to come, not very far off, where above-ground power lines no longer exist. It probably won't much far off that much of the world goes completely wireless. The next logical step will to give every terrorist an 'easy button' wireless device that, when pushed, sets off all the nuclear missles in the world. Except, all of those buttons except for one, will be placebo types. All kidding aside, when you think about all the wireless stuff going on now, it does look kind of funny to have all of these thick tree trunks will cables hanging off them.

allydoodle
11-17-2012, 10:35 PM
I am so glad you're home again 'blue. I truly hope those that aren't as lucky will start to see some improvement soon. I know this is going to be a long recovery, the whole area is ravaged. Fire Island, our barrier island to the south shore of Long Island, is a different place now. There are breeches that need to be fixed, it is so sad. That is just one example of what so many in both Jersey and NY are going through. It's so very hard to see, it's everywhere it seems.

So yes, I am so very glad you are home......

*Deirdre*
11-18-2012, 06:23 AM
I was just telling my wife last week that the day is going to come, not very far off, where above-ground power lines no longer exist. It probably won't much far off that much of the world goes completely wireless. The next logical step will to give every terrorist an 'easy button' wireless device that, when pushed, sets off all the nuclear missles in the world. Except, all of those buttons except for one, will be placebo types. All kidding aside, when you think about all the wireless stuff going on now, it does look kind of funny to have all of these thick tree trunks will cables hanging off them.
I didn't realise you were missing/affected by the devastation of Sandy...were you in long Island or New Jersey or Atlantic City? If so, I'm glad you've added to this thread which is for those Pastellists who are normally participants here to let us know they are safe and well.:)

thevaliantx
11-18-2012, 09:50 AM
Deirdre, you haven't seen my work here? :confused:

I thought YOU were missing. :D

No, I'm on the other side of Massachusetts. All we got here was a bit of wind (some trees down) and a lot of rain, and a quick dusting of snow. There was talk of a possible snowstorm, but that's Accuweather (known over the web as AccuHype) for you.