PDA

View Full Version : Country scene

rossmarie
11-04-2012, 04:32 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Nov-2012/1111482-Country_scene_re-sized.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Nov-2012/1111482Country_scene_re-sized.JPG

Saw a photo in yesterday's paper that appealed to me so thought I would sketch and paint it. It's only 10 x 7 in. and took less than an hour to do this afternoon. Hoped it would give me an idea about whether it was worth doing a bigger version and taking a bit more care and time. Trouble is I seem to lose sponteneity when I do this.

There is no particular COI and the tree foliage does not bear close inspection (know I can make a better job of that).

Crits and advice welcome. Worth doing a bigger version or not?

Mike

Andrewcody
11-04-2012, 07:05 PM
Nice work Mike for such a small size.
The landscape beyond the two trees is more interesting than the trees themselves, so it is a pity that they are smack dab in the middle.
Nice touch with the watercolour
Regards
Andrew

Trumper
11-05-2012, 04:21 AM
I like this,simple shows everything you needed to convey.
I too am not sure if it would work on a larger longer term detailed project may need something else to add to it.
Leave this one it is nice and really recognisable at this time of year.:)

Debzy
11-05-2012, 06:21 AM
I love the spontaneity in this painting Mike, great work for less than an hour! you clever little vegemite!!!!!!! I would do a larger version, but I agree the trees kinda block the lovely view. Perhaps just re-position them somewhat. Lovely scene, and as Trumper says, it shows everything you need with a lovely feel for the time of year. I personally would add something extra, an animal or shed or fence.... but that is just me. Very nice quick work. Love your water colour skills. Cheers =)) Debs.

rossmarie
11-05-2012, 10:21 AM
Thanks Andrew Trumper & Debzy.

Think I may give a larger version a go and re-jig the trees & perhaps add some thing agricultural such as a barn or shelter. Don't want to overdo it - I think what attracted me in the photo was the lovely light and the areas of shadow in the foreground. Hope I can re-create that.

And Debzy....I've been called many things but never "a little vegemite". I take it as a compliment....go on , get back to Sal & Ben...I want to see the spectacular finished article!

Cheers,

Mike:D

arnieb
11-07-2012, 03:43 AM
Lovely watercolour. Great spontinaity. Foliage looks OK, but end of branches look a little too long, dark and thick. Suggest going over them to break them up a bit.
My son was telling me that whenever you blow up a print or reduce it the result is more attractive.
I've also found that working with larger canvases (20x30 instead of 20x16 or smaller) they have a different dynamic and you can fill the extra space with variations in colour to 'feel' round the contours of the objects.
Your big tree will be a challenge larger, perhaps move them both to the left slightly, but you could make the light area into water and extend it to the right with highlights to make as the COI. Arnie

rossmarie
11-07-2012, 11:41 AM
Thanks Arnie. Think Andrew was right about the two trees masking the landscape. I will attempt a larger version (probably omitting one tree but including a barn, fencing etc.) and post the result if it merits it.

Agree with you about difference painting larger scale. I admire what you achieve in oils with a lot of painstaking work and attention to detail.

For me, in watercolour, the techniques and problems are different. I find it works better to paint fairly quickly and hopefully get it "right" first time - because too much overpainting of washes can lose that essential transparency in a watercolour. Sometimes I will glaze over (to "blue" down something for example) but prefer to get the tonal value right first off (It doesn't always happen!). Maddening hobby isn't it?

Mike

Andrewcody
11-07-2012, 07:34 PM
Please no barn or shed or fence
Regards
Andrew

rossmarie
11-08-2012, 05:23 AM
Why, Andrew?

Mike

Andrewcody
11-08-2012, 08:17 PM
It looks like an open country scene. The land form in my opinion would not have a barn or shed on it. As for a fence......why? Would a fence a barn or a shed add to the beauty of that landscape?
Not in my opinion - it would be like adding in a jet plane with its vapour trail
Regards
Andrew