PDA

View Full Version : Iris

mirizar
11-03-2012, 04:22 PM
This is my latest OP painting. An iris using Erengis on tinted clear-gesso on top of matboard. I used ultramarine blue to tint the gesso which I think gave me problem with the whites in the iris. I also think I should have simplified the background even more. I see mud in a couple of places too. :( Having some trouble in the boundaries of colors too.

The reference image is from the RIL by jediknl2.

Sorry the image is kind of warped. Colors are also a little warmer IRL.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Nov-2012/31994-pastel_iris.jpg

C&C welcome,
Michelle

DerRickster
11-03-2012, 04:40 PM
Awesome...so what do you think of the erengis?

mirizar
11-03-2012, 08:59 PM
I really like them--such vibrant colors and great blending!

mirizar
11-03-2012, 09:03 PM
Would cropping a little from the top help the compsition? Right now the flower is just in the center!

halthepainter
11-04-2012, 10:11 AM
Michelle, I think you did a wonderful job. Your iris really pops as it should. Don't worry about a less defined background. In my opinion it is just fine. It should not compete with your center of interest.

I think your iris is fine compositionally. It is nearer the top than the bottom of your painting which is good. It feels a bit centered horizontally to me but that may not be the case since we are seeing the right edge of your painting but not the left edge. I don't know how far it is to the left side of your painting.

Normally I would raise an issue about the bright spot in the bottom right of the painting as a distraction from the center of interest but in this case, for some reason, it doesn't bother me as it adds a secondary point of interest.

Michelle, all in all a delightful piece.

mirizar
11-04-2012, 02:21 PM
Thanks for your comments Hal!!! You are seeing the left edge of the painting. It is in fact centered horizontally which looked good in the reference picture but not so good in the painting...

Pat Isaac
11-04-2012, 07:33 PM
You did a beautiful job with this iris. It really stands out. The composition doesn't bother me either.
Pat

mirizar
11-04-2012, 08:20 PM
Thanks Pat! I have seen your wonderful work and hope to one day master the medium as well as you do. Your portraits especially are beautiful!

CarlyHardy
11-04-2012, 10:49 PM
I think the composition is working well. Perhaps what bothers you is the way all the purple color is focused in the flower. You could add some touches of your darker purple into the background shadows....that would move the eye around more. The abstract background is a nice foil for the more realistic blossom. I think that's working perfectly. I think you have a very good eye for choosing colors that complement. :)

Pat Isaac
11-05-2012, 08:03 AM
Thanks so much, Michelle.

Pat

Flycatcher10
11-05-2012, 09:05 AM
Michelle your Iris is beautiful! I like the composition and blends of color. Your highlights are good and I think the reason why the bottom right isn't a distraction is because it's a lower value than the whites of the Iris so the viewer isn't distracted. Wonderful painting!

Lasmeja
11-05-2012, 10:21 AM
Beautiful painting! Very nice colors.

mirizar
11-05-2012, 10:56 AM
Thanks for your comments Mary and lasmeja!

stee71
11-05-2012, 02:23 PM
Hi Michelle, This is a great job with the Erengis, both the flower and background are well represented. Personally I don't think it needs a crop, Sometimes central compositions can work well, especially with subjects that shout "i'm here look at me" like your flower does, there are always exceptions to any rule and that includes the rule of thirds or the golden mean. :)

mirizar
11-05-2012, 07:47 PM
Thanks stee! I think I agree about the rule of thirds not always being necessary

RainySea
11-05-2012, 09:50 PM
This is really lovely. Nice work and details on it and the composition is fine to me with one small exception but that is just to my eye. . . that light/bright green mark at the top left just above the flower draws my eye up and away from the flower and out of the painting. Some might see it as drawing the eye IN though, so could be just me.

I lassoed it in photoshop and toned down the contrast to see what it looked like for me but then didn't want to post without your permission.

mirizar
11-05-2012, 10:42 PM
This is really lovely. Nice work and details on it and the composition is fine to me with one small exception but that is just to my eye. . . that light/bright green mark at the top left just above the flower draws my eye up and away from the flower and out of the painting. Some might see it as drawing the eye IN though, so could be just me.

I lassoed it in photoshop and toned down the contrast to see what it looked like for me but then didn't want to post without your permission.
You are welcome to post it. No problem!

I think I know which line you're talking about...it's the diagonal line near the top-left of the flower, right?

PaulsArt
11-06-2012, 12:47 AM
That's a lovely flower Michelle! I am thinking it doesn't even need a background really. It might look great with just a really dark background and just the flower in the center. Ah, but I tend to like high contrast a lot. It looks really nice!

mirizar
11-06-2012, 10:51 AM
Thanks for your nice comment Paul! Next time I will go for drama with a simple dark background!

Frostie
11-08-2012, 04:35 AM
Michelle, it's beautiful. I adore the really rich purples in the bottom petals. I agree with the others the cropping is absolutely fine and really works.
Helen