PDA

View Full Version : The "Goal Post" for November 2012

Dougwas
10-31-2012, 11:56 PM
Hi

Welcome the the Goal Post. Goal setting is a very good tool to help people get organized. If you write or post your thoughts, you are more committed and have a better chance of reaching those goals.

Your goals can be short term or long term. They can be daily, weekly, monthly or annual goals. Goals are personal, so everybody's goals will be different. They are your goals, so you can do what ever you want.

Come join the regular gang and get encouragement to help you reach your goals. We have a very friendly group and we are always looking for new people to join us.

Doug

ullahennig
11-01-2012, 06:24 AM
Well, my goal for November is quite an ambitious one. The month of November will have 13 blogposts on my blog, and I want each of them to show one acrylic painting. I managed that with gouache paintings in October, but I've got the feeling that it is easier to paint with gouache than with acrylics.
I've already finished one acrylic painting and the second is in the process of creation. Its actual state is that of "OMG - will that ever work?", but I've got some ideas for the next steps and they might work.

Ruthie57
11-01-2012, 07:24 AM
Hi Doug and thanks for hosting as always. Last month was a write off because of my Mother being so ill and then dying. But the last week I've been painting up a storm, my way of coping I guess....and a very good way IMO!
Will think of goals later and post them.

Ulla, big challenge you've set yourself. Go girl!

Aelfwynn
11-01-2012, 09:32 AM
This month, I only have NaNo as a goal. I'm doing ok so far, made my daily goal to be on track.

aolaranora
11-01-2012, 12:31 PM
Ruth, sorry about Your Mom. I lost mine two month ago... what a year!... Same like You - just trying to keep myself busy...

Goal of this month greatly affected by resent Storm we had. Thanks Lord it didn't hit US here too badly. But friends around Philadelphia and Allentown got plenty of it...
With this in mind here we go..

1)Visit my guys in Allentown as soon they are out of woods.. Didn't hear a word from them yet after "Sandy" passed and my friend Carol is home-bond with broken leg... Not much fun. Have to go see them.

2)Do the art work exchange with my gallery in New Home, PA... as soon will get "go" by gallery director. We were suppose to meet TODAY, but they are out of power too.

3)Hopefully meet with painter-friend Deb in Chambersburg. TOMORROW. She won Best-in-Show at Chambersburg miniature art show. Will be great to see her and the show and get few words with exhibition administrator (what is great lady). Deb and I were suppose to see each other in DC this month at their miniart exhibition, but with all going on I'm not going there.

4)Technically I need to be on our Pastel Society meeting this Sunday. Don't think this is going to happen. But we will see.

5)On November 18 we were planning to be at NYC on artists reception held in National Art Club Galleries by The Allied Artists of America... Have my painting in and once again - not sure it is going to happen at this point.

6) Enter something into Richeson 75 small works and see what will happen.
7) See if I want to enter something to International Artist Magazine this time.
8) Prepare digital entries for Northeast National Pastel exhibition.
(All 3 of above are easy... Just need to put digital files together, painting is all done.)

9)Hopefully finish with art mess upstairs. It is not that much.

10) One more gallery exchange this month, almost forgot about that one... but it is local and very easy.

Now serious part:

Finish at list two "serious" painting (not sketches, not try outs etc). Will try to work on those unfinished ones I have sitting around.

Hopefully order Maroger medium from "Old Masters". I'm dying to try it...
Hopefully by the end of month will be able to order Anthony Waichulis drawing curse DVDs.

No reason to mention all other stuff... Just will try to take it day-by-day and see what happens. I feel like I need to take it easy, but how You can see - this is my "easy". Honestly all I want - just seat low and paint all winter.

Mij
11-01-2012, 04:11 PM
Hi there Doug and thanks for hosting. I only realized there must be a new page when I saw the lock on the other one.

Hi Ulla. Quite precise goals from you, Thirteen blogspots? Thats averaging some three a week and piccies to match? Good goals indeed.

I hear you Ruthie and yes art is good therapy My mum went in February at 95 years of age. She would have been 96 the day before I was 70 in June if she'd lived.

Hi there Mercy, yes your nano is a goal in itself – best of luck with it.

Hi Tatiana, it was good that you didn't lose power and I can understand the affect of trees with overhead power lines. That is where it hits hardest here when we have bad weather- where we have overhead power lines and trees.
You have enough goals to get on with- you do a lot each month.
I am sorry to hear about your dog, it is always an emotional time irrespective of their age.

I bet you are chuffed to bits with your new toy there Doug. I know SWMBO is . She uses a 'back-friend' in any chair she uses. I cannot stand the thing (back friend that is) and am unable to sit in it which tells me how much she must be hurting ordinarily. So doing anything like emails, art or just surfing from her easy chair is really a bonus.

I haven't thought much about goals this next month as family take up a few weekends where I get to play chef etc.
I will try to do the following:-
Complete the pastel box
break the Unisons in half and chart the colours in a W&N sketch-book. Put half of them by graded value across and colour wheel up inside the box.
Attend a day's w/shop on trees in Trowbridge
Complete a DVD paint-a-long-a-me image.Non art goals
Fit a better arrow rest to my bow, along with a peep sight.
Complete the tuning of the bow

Attend four practice afternoons shooting the bow indoors.
Do 3 weekends as Mine-Host at home for the family

Transport SWMBO to Salisbury to Oddstock hospital to have her check up.SWMBO is currently unwell but is on the mend. The prescription we obtained helped but it is at times like this that I have to do the driving/looking out for her.
Jim

aolaranora
11-01-2012, 06:36 PM
Jim, I found out the hard way how disappointing arrow rest could be... (well, I used to hunt with bow a lot, but not the last few years... no time).
I ended up with using of Whisker Biscuit at one of my hunting bows. It is virtually not letting arrow to slide anywhere... Of course there are ## of others rests that are just as good and I'm only shooting compound bows (I think You had the longbow?) Anyway - good luck with finding of all the right components!... Always big fun! :-)

Dougwas
11-02-2012, 03:55 AM
Ulla- You did it once, so you know you can do it again. It may be a different medium, but it is still painting. And one good thing about acrylic paint is that it dries quickly and you can paint over it.;) Have fun and learn what you can do.

Ruthie- I am so sorry to hear about your Mother. Keeping busy painting sounds like a good idea. You can post your goals whenever you want. Take care.

Mercy- Happy writing!!!

Tatiana- You sure pack a lot into your months. Another busy month ahead of you. Good luck.

Jim- Yes, I have been busy playing with my new toy. No buyer's remorse at all. I am sure your SWMBO loves hers just as much as I love mine. It gives you more freedom and allows you to keep connected to the world. You don't have to be propped up in a chair to sit it on your lap. I can lay on my side and still text, read, browse, or even paint.

I see you have more trees on your list of goals. Good for you.:thumbsup: I love breaking pastels. Fun!:evil: Have fun building that pastel box. I hope your wife starts feeling better. She has enough pain in her life and she certainly doesn't need any more. Tell her I said to have some fun with her new toy.:)

Well, well, well. November already. Another three weeks and I will be another year older. Where does the time go? I am going to keep it to two goals this month. It doesn't sound like much, but they should keep me out of trouble.

My goals for November are:

1) I will digitally paint for 100 hours.
2) I will paint two pastel paintings.

Doug

Mij
11-03-2012, 12:52 PM
Jim, I found out the hard way how disappointing arrow rest could be... (well, I used to hunt with bow a lot, but not the last few years... no time).
I ended up with using of Whisker Biscuit at one of my hunting bows. It is virtually not letting arrow to slide anywhere... Of course there are ## of others rests that are just as good and I'm only shooting compound bows (I think You had the longbow?) Anyway - good luck with finding of all the right components!... Always big fun! :-)

Hi there Tatiana, nice to meet another bow fan. I looked up that arrow rest as I hadn't heard of it before and saw a demo by a USA chap with one of them and a compound where he was able to get it in the yellow at a hundred yards. :angel: Clever chappie. I haven't got it in the gold once yet - still trying to hit the target face :lol:

Ah hunting – it is illegal to do that over here. We have field events (I've never been to one as yet) where they have 3D targets. :thumbsup:

I did have a long bow, but it went BANG a few weeks ago when I tried stringing it.:confused: Looking to make another - a course where electric tools are used this time though (3 days on my knees is just too much)

I bought a new re curve, Hoyt Horizon with all the necessities and now shoot with a local club indoors for the winter.
Yes it is fun, I am enjoying all of this.:clap:
jimW

Ruthie57
11-03-2012, 02:05 PM
Thanks for your thoughts Tatiana, Jim and Doug. Tatiana, sorry for your loss too.

OK, my goals -

1, most important, I have entered the annual portrait swap over in the portraiture forum. I have receved some lovely pics of my subject, who lives in the Northern Territory of Aus, so I must get the portrait done and sent off there by the end of the month!

2, At least two more for the Spotlight.

3, Sort out 4 framed works to take to a selection for next Year's Royal Norfolk Show exhibition. The show started many years ago as a farming show, and it still is, but these days there is so much more to it and, whatever the weather, it's well attended and the art exhibition usually has good sales. So I hope I get in!

4, Take my 3 selected paintings to the City exhibition tomorrow evening. Unless something bad happens that will be a tick!

5, Have a meeting with three friends about having a joint "Open Studio" next June under the national scheme.

6. Write two articles for the PGE Pastel Scribbler magazine.

I think that'll do for now.

aolaranora
11-03-2012, 02:30 PM
I bought a new re curve, Hoyt Horizon with all the necessities and now shoot with a local club indoors for the winter.
Yes it is fun, I am enjoying all of this.:clap:
jimW
Hoyts are good. I have one of those too (in fact it was my #1 bow). Then I got two other ones for the reason - my Hoyt was something like 40 pound bow and I don't feel like it was doing great for hunting. Needed something heavier... Hoyt I had was great for target practice, it is for sure. I'm thinking I need to pull those things out sometime and make some sense with it... I used to be very good with it, but last few years didn't do much of anything.. Now My husband dragged me into competition pistol shooting and then I realized that out shooting club has one of the best archery indoor facilities... I guess maybe we with my sister can do something with it again... IF I'll find time to do it... I like bows and shooting sport in general.

Mij
11-03-2012, 06:43 PM
Hi Ruthie and well done for joining in the portrait swap. You have well chosen goals and lets hope you meet them all.

Hi Tatiana, little wonder you don't find much time for archery amongst what you do. You do keep busy each month. It sounds like you pull a fairly strong bow at 40 pounds, mine is much lighter. Also age affects my strength so I don't expect to get stronger.

Doug, SWMBO had me looking to download artrage for her pc but it went around in circles and she had printed out the instructions in such a fine print I could hardly read it with a magnifying glass. So I gave in to her 'I'll get my money back' and left her to it. I must have done something because next minute she was inputting her registration code. She is fascinated with it but stymied a little because most of the actionable things are symbolic – she doesn't do symbols very well.
Two things evade her, how to go back a page and how to save in something that can be read by say irfanview – you know like a .jpg
jim

rugman
11-03-2012, 06:50 PM
Tatiana, JimW - browsing through and noticed you guys were bow enthusiasts as well. My whole family enjoy bow (and firearm) shooting. I chase elk around mountains with bow during September. My compound is Mission brand, very smooth draw and light weight, 60 lb draw. My boy (11 yr old) shoots recurve with sights and competes in 4-H competitions. Wife and I also have recurves with sights that we enjoy shooting in the yard. My 13 year old daughter shoots precision air rifle for 4-H and Junior Olympics. Shooting sports are so fun and addictive, and offer a great sport for those kids who cant run fast or jump high. Great sport for people of all ages. Have fun at the range, Jim. Pistols sound fun too, Tatiana. :)

Sorry for off topic, Doug.

As for goal. I need to set aside specific time for painting, and painting only. I have had too many distractions and have not painted as result. Also, complete 2 commission pieces I've been putting off for too long.

Dougwas
11-04-2012, 01:44 AM
Jim- You can save the image by clicking on File, then click on Export Image File, select a file you want to save it in, go to the bottom of the box and click on the drop box on Save as Type and select JPEG Image, click on Save and voila! One problem solved. I am not sure what you mean about going back a page. Maybe if you could give me more info I could help you out.

Regarding the symbols, she may already know this, but if you scroll over the symbols, the words show up and tell you what they are. Tell her it takes a while to get used to it, but after a while it's just like everything else, it gets easier. Hope that helped.

Ruthie- Those goals should keep you busy. The Open Studio idea sounds exciting. I hope you can work things out with the other artists. Good luck with your goals.

Ron- No problem. We talk about more than goals here. Setting a painting only time is a smart idea. I am sure it will be very beneficial to you. Good luck.

Doug

Ruthie57
11-04-2012, 05:04 PM
You'll all forgive me if I don't talk about archery as I know nothing about it!

Goal 4 is a tick! Delivered the paintings and it actually stopped raining for a minute while I was carrying them from the car!!! Oh but how I ahte driving in the dark these days, especially in the rain!

And I started a preliminary sketch for the portrait swap. I had to leave it and it is not yet right but, well, it's a start.

Dougwas
11-04-2012, 11:15 PM
Ruthie- That makes two of us. No knowledge about archery here either. Good going on getting the paintings delivered. I hate driving at night now, too. Oh we'll, you got it done and now can move on to another goal. Keep busy. :)

I had a terrible day. Last night I thought it would be a good idea to do a pastel painting today. So I got the paper ready and picked out a new photo from my references and was ready to go. So this morning I was feeling pretty good and was looking forward to painting. What a mistake that was. I don't remember half the things I have learned over the years and it was not a fun experience. I just can't put the time in at the easel to grow and if I can't grow I don't have fun. So I think I might just pack up my pastels and get them out of my sight. I don't even want to look at them any more. That might sound petty, but I just get more frustrated when I see them sitting there out in the open.

Maybe one day I can get back to using "real" art supplies, but for now I think I will just focus on digital art. Thanks for letting me vent.

Doug

Mij
11-05-2012, 07:26 AM
Hello Ron. I have only just started archery, a bit late in life but better late than never. I like someone's siggy on the 'net, “my bow can win any competition, I go along to make sure it doesn't” :lol:

Hi there Doug, thanks for the info for SWMBO on artrage. I don't want to get involved ATM with that as I know I will be in over myself. I am trying to get my pastels in order and this month's goals must not fall by the wayside to address those points myself.
I just copied your findings to her in an email and let her sort it herself :clear:

One of the reasons I keep jumping from one medium to another is because I am so excited about shapes and colours, light and the absence of it and the ability of each medium to record that differently, that I go from watercolour to acrylic to pastels to portraits to oils and on....and on....
I seem to have got hung up on trees and hopefully will tackle that head on in a week's time with Graham Cox, down in Trowbridge. Meantime I keep on trying pastels – it's 'mucky mits' time here. The dust is flying high..... LOL Baby wipes at the ready!

Hi there Ruthie. Yes, I am getting carried away with archery as well as pastels.
It is good that you made those goals and delivering them in the dark as well. Lots of peeps suffer from night-blindness – to the extent that some admit to closing their eyes when meeting other cars headlights! At that time the documentary found that the person they were researching was just lacking in vitamins. It is a known phenomena and there are many causes. SWMBO hates driving in the dark so I do it if necessary.

Well I did my archery practice yesterday and only got reasonable results when I aimed off by the amount missed when I aimed at the bull.:lol:

I have got out the Canson Mi-Teintes paper to do the winter snow scene from a DVD. If this works perhaps I'll use this as my Christmas card in the absence of anything else. Then I must get on with the pastel box.
jim

Mij
11-05-2012, 01:41 PM
Just completed goal no 4 which was do a pastel following a DVD. This was my attempt at a GC's snowscene. At least I can get on with the box now.
It's at this addy:-

http://paintdoodles.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5393&PID=73272#73272

jim

ullahennig
11-06-2012, 08:41 AM
I have been doing fairly well with my acrylic paintings. These are more or less painting exercises for me, and I am learning a lot about how to mix colours. For the last three small paintings I used acrylic paper, and I love it! I think I prefer it to watercolour paper. Did a bigger one yesterday night (still only the half of a DIN-A4 page). I focused on mixing phtalo green and primary blue and a bit of white, and I got a few nice blueish-greens and turquoise colours.
I ordered a book about colour recipes from Amazon in order to learn more about colour mixing. I am having lots of fun slinging those paints around!

Mij
11-06-2012, 09:59 PM
I'd like to see dabs of acrylics after mixing! Well done Ulla. What book on colour recipes did you get and is it any good?
I'm attracted to paints that dry quick and can paint over that which you don't like :lol:
jim

ullahennig
11-07-2012, 06:36 AM
Jim, the book is:"Color Mixing Recipes: For Oil and Acrylic: Mixing Recipes for More Than 450 Colour Combinations" by William Powell. It is one thing to find out what colour mixings I can do with the paints I have, another thing is how I can mix a colour that I see on a photo or in plein air. I've seen some pages of this book on google books, searched for it at Amazon - and voilà, bought it. I will tell you about my experiences with it.
Doug, as one of the most important things is to have fun with art have fun with digital painting. I've got watercolours, coloured pencils, copics, soft pastels, oil pastels and gouache paints sitting on shelves or in boxes, because I am so enjoying my acrylics!

Turpintine45
11-08-2012, 12:52 AM
Hi guys I'm back!! Got shut out by the Gremlins and just got back in! Thanks to Ruthie who came to the rescue and contacted Dierdre and Yorky. Felt really lonely just looking in!
Doug I hope you are back on track after your really bad day! Maybe some honey would help!

My goals to paint something!! My art group has just started back up to maybe I will get inspired!

Mij
11-08-2012, 03:33 AM
Hello Jen. I am glad you got back in. I too was shut out and I took Ruthies advice and got a new password and that did it. I did look for Yorkies (Dougs email addy) but was unable to find it. Never mind got here anyway.
I don't suppose you have had time to list any goals if you have been lurking around the 'trying to get back in' brigade.

Thanks for the book info Ulla, I'll get that one. It sound interesting.:thumbsup:
jim

Ruthie57
11-08-2012, 06:07 PM
Doug, sorry you've been so frustrated about your pastels. By all means do digital art for now. You'll hear the pastels calling eventually.....
Jim, you're so interested in so many things! Sometimes you make my head spin with your energy!
Ulla, going well!
Jen, great to have you back! A good goal to paint again. Have fun.
The paintings are in the exhibition and as far as I know none have sold. In fact up to yesterday only two had sold altogether!
Took 4 paintings to the showground today for selection for next years Norfolk Show. I'll hear in a few weeks if I'm in or out.
So things are sort of going to plan this month.

aolaranora
11-08-2012, 07:03 PM

1)Visit my guys in Allentown as soon they are out of woods.. Didn't hear a word from them yet after "Sandy"

OK, guys are fine, got their power back... I still didn't get there yet.

2)Do the art work exchange with my gallery in New Home, PA...
All is ready, tomorrow will be my road trip. Exiting!

3)Hopefully meet with painter-friend Deb in Chambersburg. TOMORROW. She won Best-in-Show

Did it. Show was great, didn't have time yet to work on pictures...

4)Technically I need to be on our Pastel Society meeting this Sunday.

Nop. Had to do other things instead.

5)On November 18 we were planning to be at NYC on artists reception held in National Art Club Galleries by The Allied Artists of America... Have my painting in and once again - not sure it is going to happen at this point.

6) Enter something into Richeson 75 small works and see what will happen.
done.
7) See if I want to enter something to International Artist Magazine this time.
not this time. will wait a bit.
8) Prepare digital entries for Northeast National Pastel exhibition.
Done, sent, just wait and see what will happen.

9)Hopefully finish with art mess upstairs. It is not that much.

10) One more gallery exchange this month, almost forgot about that one... but it is local and very easy.
Done.

Finish at list two "serious" painting (not sketches, not try outs etc). Will try to work on those unfinished ones I have sitting around.
Half-way done.

Hopefully order Maroger medium from "Old Masters".

Done too.
Hopefully by the end of month will be able to order Anthony Waichulis drawing curse DVDs.

Well, well.. look like have another "project in progress", very unelectable one. hopefully all will work out with that one, if it does, I'll be VERY happy. All I'll say for now - it did require some more file editing for publishing and this is not an another show...
And I finally managed to have my resume edited to the point I like it (did I mention - I normally HATE to work on those things?...). Now I got PDF one and can edit it any time.Peachy!

SoulBro82
11-12-2012, 03:29 PM
So fast approaching the last month of the year, I took a tally:

79 completed paintings so far this year! my yearly goal was 50
430 figure sketches on a goal of 500...so close, I can make it! only got to 345 in all of last year

other goals for the rest of this month:
-finish MFA(!) applications.
-get my website updated with latest work ( about 20 paintings need to get added )

Davkin
11-12-2012, 04:12 PM
It's been a very long time since I posted in the "Goal Post" but I figured it's time to get back down to business, make a plan and execute it. One of the things that prompted this is yet another cleanup and reorganization of the studio. The reorganization wasn't a big one, but it did open up a possiblity that I hadn't considered before. The reason I haven't been doing pastel much lately is I've been focused on the acrylics and changing my set up between painting with acrylic and painting with pastel was a major hassle. With the reorganization I realized I could put my pastel palettes on one end of the table and acrylic palette at the other end and since my easel is on casters I can just roll it back and forth between the pastels and acrylics, problem solved. Before the reorganization a small table was in the way and prevented that possiblity.

Here are my goals for the month;

#1 spend a min. of an average of two hours/day on art production, (painting, sketching, drawing, etc.)

#2. Spend a min. average of one hour/day on art study.

#3, related to goal #1 I want to finish a min. of two acrylic landscape paintings this month and two pastel landscape paintings. I also want to make good progress (at least 50%) on a pen drawing by the end of the month.

#4. related to goal #2. Write my own synopsis of "Painting with Your Artist's Brain" by Carl Purcell, (I've already read it twice and underlined the major points the second time.) and finish my 2nd read of "Alla Prima" by Richard Schmid complete with underlining.

Doug. Sorry to hear about your frustrations. I know how you feel having been very irregular about using the pastels the last few months myself. During my cleaning and reorganizing I was looking back at some old unframed paintings and was wondering how in the world I did that! :lol: It's so easy to lose isn't it.

David

Dougwas
11-12-2012, 07:04 PM
Jim- I really like your pastel painting. Beautiful lighting. Way to go!:thumbsup: How is that box coming along?

Ulla- It sounds like you are having fun while learning acrylics. You are correct about having fun while creating. That is the reason I paint and draw, so sometimes you have to change things up.

Jen- I hope you are painting. It must be nice to have your painting group back. Honey? How about M. Graham gouache?:D

Ruthie- You are busy delivering paintings this month. I will keep my fingers crossed that you get a sale or two. Thanks for the encouragement.

Tatiana- You are doing a great job on your goals. Your new project sounds very mysterious. Pastel 100?

SoulBro- You have had a very good year. Well done.

David- Hey! Welcome back, David. I know what you mean about have the right setup. It is so important to have a working area that suits your purpose. If it is difficult to work, then painting usually gets put off. I just did something similar.

I love your goals and just might borrow them for next month. Two hours a day painting or drawing will turn into more. Once you get started, sometimes it is hard to stop. You have reminded me to do some more reading. Good luck with your goals.

First of all, thank you all. I appreciate the encouraging words and all the tips. I knew if anybody knows what I am going through, it is my fellow "goalies." I didn't give up, because I couldn't. It just seems to be in my blood.

Just like David, I did a little reorganizing of my studio. I packed up the pastels and put them in the storage room. It sounds drastic, but I could have them back out on the table in about two and a half minutes. I started dabbling with acrylics (You name it, I have it:clear: ) and started having FUN again. So far I have just pushed the paint around and haven't done any real paintings, but it feels GOOD just laying the colors down. Right now I am trying out the watercolor method.

I told my wife I already know what will happen. While painting with a brush using acrylics, (or gouache or watercolor or oils:o ) I will start thinking about using Pan Pastels and then while using Pans I will start thinking about my other pastels and before I know it, they will be back out on my table again. The circle of my painting life.:rolleyes:

Thanks again.

Doug

Davkin
11-12-2012, 10:05 PM
Doug, I see way too much of you in me. :lol: I guess some of us are born to be wanderers.

David

Turpintine45
11-12-2012, 10:53 PM
LOL Doug. I guess you are not a Winnie the Pooh fan! Winnie the pooh had a very bad day and honey was his answer!! lots of it to eat, you could try some on toast! you know just a comfort food.
Yes I am painting with my group and working on a Christmas card in pastels. So far so good

Dougwas
11-12-2012, 11:14 PM
David- Variety is the spice of life, or we have ADD.:clear:

Jen- We are more of an Eeyore family.:(

Doug

Mij
11-13-2012, 06:39 AM
Hi there Soulbro. You have done well! Yes we are fast getting to the end of this year only a month and a half to go, and it looks as if you will exceed your goals all round. Great!

Tatiana, that sounds intriguing. Wonder what it is?

David, welcome. How lovely to see you back. One of the reasons I keep moving about in the mediums is that I'll lose what I've learned. I hope you can quickly assimilate and get back into the groove. You do some really lovely work.

Ruthie I will go with what Doug was wishing you and hope you sell some more – if only to clear the house some. But the cash would be handy no doubt.

Doug, SWMBO seems to be getting on with her ipad ok. I'm staying out of it as I don't have one LOL.... That's my excuse anyway..... (How long before I get one?)

I have kept up the archery goal on the practice front (every Sunday afternoon) and having set up the 'button' I am now finding the target bull at times – I'm hitting the colours :lol: ( yellow red, blue and black).

Yes Doug did manage a pastel, and will be away this Thursday and Friday doing a 'Tree and Foliage' workshop with GC in Trowbridge. I have also been doing some watercolours for my Christmas card but might be like Jen and might do that in pastel. I have kept up my art class as well (still life of a chair with clothing draped over it). That was in graphite, I supose I could put that in the D&S forum.

The pastel box has one side prepped for cutting and will get on with that this week. I'm sure I'll have it done by the end of this month as it is only the 13th today....... all on schedule :thumbsup:.
Jim

aolaranora
11-13-2012, 04:34 PM
Well, well... Goals? Yes, slowly moving. Project indeed was no a show, this time. I got a proposal from famous Swedish art supply company, look like they want to use some of my art work for their advertisement. In return I should be getting a lot of art supply, some of which was on my "to get sometime in the future" list and some - their new product samples. I'm very honored to have my art work to be chosen for this project and I'm done with my part already. I guess now I'm just waiting for my "gift from Santa".
Pastel 100 ?... No. I do not think so. Not yet anyway. But I'll be working on my submission painting for PSA membership. I think next year will be a good time to try.

Yes, I'm done with BOTH galleries for now. Do not have to thing about that till spring or something like that.

I'm basically done with all art goals what was on a list and it is not even end of month yet. Just still need to work on those paintings. Life is good.

Mij
11-14-2012, 04:22 AM
Oh well done Tatiana, that is good news. Especially as it is on past works - nothing new to do for the moment.:clap:

The book has arrived Ulla but it must be the later version that I saw as it says 1500 Color Mixing Recipes. I guess he put all the versions together for this one.

Ah well, off to Trowbridge and learn something about trees and pastels tomorrow.:crossfingers:
jim

aolaranora
11-14-2012, 05:59 PM
Yes, Jim, it is all based on a completed painting... they need 5 WIP stages to show the process of handling of medium. That was easy, I always take picture of stages of my work. Never know when and why You can be in need of it... here is a pure example!

ullahennig
11-15-2012, 08:34 AM
snip -

The book has arrived Ulla but it must be the later version that I saw as it says 1500 Color Mixing Recipes. I guess he put all the versions together for this one.

-snip-
jim
he wrote a lot of books containing colour recipes, and the one you mention has sections on painting portraits and lancscapes in it.
The one thing I learnt already is how much white you need when painting with acrylics. He uses white in almost every colour recipe! I haven't got all the paints he uses in his mixtures, but I think the book is a good orientation nevertheless.

Mij
11-15-2012, 08:48 AM
Hi Tatiana. It's good that you do take photo's as you go. And yes it proves that is correct thing to do in your case. I don't see anyone likely requesting the same from me though :angel::lol::lol:

Ulla, I do mostly landscapes and although I have tried portraits I am hopeless at them. Along with pastel trees ... :lol: I shall be attending a workshop on trees and foliage in pastels tomorrow and will leave here in an hour or two.

I'll be back late on Friday evening.
cheers
jimW

Ruthie57
11-15-2012, 05:22 PM
Jim, have a great workshop on trees!

Better review my goals as I'm away from Sat to the following Sat (Crete!!)

1, most important, I have entered the annual portrait swap over in the portraiture forum. I have receved some lovely pics of my subject, who lives in the Northern Territory of Aus, so I must get the portrait done and sent off there by the end of the month! Tick! Done with time to spare!

2, At least two more for the Spotlight. Yep, done 4 intotal

3, Sort out 4 framed works to take to a selection for next Year's Royal Norfolk Show exhibition. The show started many years ago as a farming show, and it still is, but these days there is so much more to it and, whatever the weather, it's well attended and the art exhibition usually has good sales. So I hope I get in! Tick! Don't know yet if I'm in but will know before Christmas

4, Take my 3 selected paintings to the City exhibition tomorrow evening. Unless something bad happens that will be a tick! Well, yes, that was ages ago. I now have them ALL back, unfortunately

5, Have a meeting with three friends about having a joint "Open Studio" next June under the national scheme. Initial meeting done. Still trying to sort out a venue so more to do

6. Write two articles for the PGE Pastel Scribbler magazine. Tick!

Hmm, not bad. I'll give myself a pat on the back.....Ouch!!

Mij
11-16-2012, 04:42 PM
Well done Ruthie, it sounds like you are on the ball. Sorry to hear about the non-selection. Well it's their loss isn't it.

I had a good workshop and the one we did this morning is up here

http://paintdoodles.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5398&SID=a394499f46b2a43e276bbzdzfc97bf57

There is one more we did this afternoon but I'll put that up another day. I can see that my handicap was the size and weight of my hands and digits. I am just too heavy handed when what is needed is a delicate touch. What I was taught in the workshop was - if it didn't work first time hit it harder!!! :lol::lol::thumbsup:
You can see why ruft tufty blokes like me can't do flahrs.
jimW

Ruthie57
11-16-2012, 04:49 PM
Jim, they were all selected and were all in the exhibition. I meant that none sold, unfortunately.

Hey, nice trees! I love the sky too!

Mij
11-16-2012, 06:00 PM
Hi Ruthie, sorry about the confusion over selling and selection.

Thanks for the comments on my attempts at trees. Definately better than those I've attempted before. Perhaps I'll try them again using his method. :lol:

Anyway safe journey tomorrow on your holls.
jimW

Dougwas
11-17-2012, 09:01 PM
Jim- I checked out your latest tree painting. You can no longer say you can't paint trees. Those trees look great against that beautiful sky. I have the same heavy hand problem you have. It gets frustrating, but keep at it. You are winning!:thumbsup:

Tatiana- You had a good month and we are only half way through the month. Way to go!

Ulla- Yes, one thing I have learned while using paint is the largest pile of paint on the palette is white. And you never have enough.:(

Ruthie- Great job on your goals. Too bad you didn't sell any of your paintings. They will find a new owner. It just takes the right person. I hope you are having a "Crete" vacation.:rolleyes:

Since my last report I have finished three acrylic paintings. The first one was done following a Bob Davies video at Art Tutor, using the watercolor method. It was fun and I can see some possibilities combining it with pastel. The next two paintings I used acrylics the normal way on canvas boards. The first one was done from my reference and was just okay, but it tweaked my interest to try again. I decided to copy a painting from a landscape book and was quite happy with the result. Of course I can't show it, but that's okay. I learned a lot while painting it and the brush was starting to get used to using a brush.

It feels good to be painting again. I have been doing it in shifts no longer than forty-five minutes. It seems to be working. I don't care what medium I am using, as long as I am painting.

Doug

Davkin
11-17-2012, 09:55 PM
Congrats on getting back to the easel Doug, I know how hard that can be at times. I haven't spent the time I planned on painting this week, in fact far from it but I'll get better. Long weekend for us next week, I'll catch up. I just started a new pastel painting, the first one in a long time and it's small (8x10) but it's a start. I tried a new medium for underpainting, acrylic ink. That's something you might look into Doug of you like working with watery acrylics. Acrylic ink is very thin yet has a high pigment load and you don't have the worry that you might have thinned it too much and compromised the binder like with heavy body acrylics. It also doesn't fill in the tooth, (using Uart 400). Will post the results in the Gallery, hopefully tomorrow.

David

Mij
11-18-2012, 05:14 AM
Hi Doug . You managed to get painting again with Bob Davies. That is good I have not tried the ink that Davkin suggests but that sounds like it has lots of advantages to mix it with pastels.

David it's nice to read you again, even if you have not managed to paint like you hoped you might. If you hang around here awhile it gets to you and you will be itching to get out the gear and get painting, it's infectious almost.

Hiya Ulla, I haven't started into piles of paint mixing yet but I will get there.

It's Sunday morning so Ruthie is well on her way. It's a lovely start to the day here as well.

We did another tree and a hedge at the workshop and I have put it up here

http://paintdoodles.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5400&PID=73310#73310

It seems I missed a bit of the hill behind the right hand tree or my hedge did not come sufficiently high to hide it. I'll add that in when I have a few minutes.

Now that I can do a tree or two in pastels perhaps I can get on with tackling a few other things.
I will be shooting more arrows this afternoon.
This morning I'll be preparing the veg. For tonight's meal in the slow cooker.
Jim

Dougwas
11-18-2012, 12:39 PM
David- I hope you get a chance to paint up a storm during Thanksgiving. I read in another thread that you re-read the Carl Percell book. I think that is a great idea, because you remember more the second time. I also think by reading art books and watching videos, you get the urge to paint. That is always good.:D It is good that you started a pastel painting. I hope you get to finish it today.

Thanks for the tip on acrylic ink. That will be something else I can add to my art supplies.:evil: I just placed an order with Blick the other day (Christmas presents, nothing for me:angel: ) so it will have to wait until I NEED more to made the delivery charge worth it.

Jim- That is another great effort on landscapes. I can relate to your frustrations when painting trees, but once you "get it," there is no stopping you. I am so happy for you, Jim.:thumbsup:

I am thinking of trying another acrylic painting today. I HAVE to watch a playoff football game this afternoon. If my BC Lions win today, they go the the Grey Cup game (our Super Bowl without the hype) next Sunday. It is a long tradition in Canada. This will be the 100th Grey Cup game. I have a TV in my studio, so I can always multitask and paint while watching the game.

Happy painting.

Doug

Davkin
11-18-2012, 03:29 PM
Jim, You're coming along on those trees. Trees are my favorite subject. They are so challenging and so satisfying to get right, and of course they are everywhere in the landscape.

Doug, I finished that painting, it's now posted in the Gallery along with some in process photos.
I try to make something of a structure out of my art study. I'll first read a book through then set it aside. Then later on I'll read it a second time but this time underlining what I feel are the most important points. Then I'll type in everything I underlined into the computer and basically create an abridged version of the book for my reference. I've actually only completed the process on one book, but I hope to finish it on the Carl Purcell book within the next week or so. One problem I'm running into is now I'm having to spend some serious time learning the software I use at work far more in depth, I even have a week long training session at the local rep starting a week from Monday. It's all a lot for this poor old mind to absorb! I plan on starting a new acrylic painting today myself Doug, now don't watch too much football today, (er, nap? :D ).

David

aolaranora
11-18-2012, 06:46 PM
Doug, Jim - thank You!

yes, another busy month, but going all right. I cut down (severely) on my trip planes, but did ALL show entries I was planning to do. All of them.

Done with both galleries for now...

Got my new medium and working with that... It is NOT what I expected.
Drying time is longer the advertised, but otherwise I like it a lot. (hopefully it WILL dry after all!)

Didn't do much with attic, but worked with two of my web sites a lot (long overdue). Lot of work with animals, but all is going well this month. Happy.

Didn't get to shoot my bow or go out to hunt at all. maybe in December. But on other hand didn't miss a single 22 pistol matches this season... keeping my HB happy about it, he loves when we do it together. Just like Doug mentioned - almost another half of month is here and I feel myself ahead of the game for once... What is nice.

ullahennig
11-20-2012, 08:28 AM
Hi Peeps, I was busy painting with Acrylics, and reading about Acrylics, and posting paintings in the Acrylics forum. I also joined Art Tutor, and was busy watching some of the Acrylic video tutorials. I am getting better (slowly) at mixing paints, although still quite often the result is other than expected and planned.
I also began to transfer images to my painting surface using the grid method. I've got the feeling that I learn a lot this way regarding relationships between objects and sizes. My next project will be a pair of flamingoes -they are waiting to have paint put on them! I think a big goal for the next month could be / should be to become better with my drawings.

Mij
11-20-2012, 06:12 PM
Hiya Ulla, the mistake I make in colour mixing is getting the value incorrect. So I need to get that first and then the colour mix next ....... IYSWIM (if you see what I mean). I hope that Powell's book might help in that direction. I remember to do thumbnails but I don't match the colours to the values.... why? I dunno! :angel: :lol:

Hi there Tatiana, well done on getting all those goals ahead of the month...gosh there was a lot of them as well.

I can see why HB likes your company on the shooting range - it is nice to do things together. My wife asked me about archery but she has MS. This has severely weakened her in many directions and she hasn't the strength to pull a bowstring - in any muscle that could be used. But she can wield a paintbrush in abstract art.:lol:

My goal time was taken by watching Eric Wilson's DVDs on the elephant today. It was a total of 5 DVDs and he covers everything from support to final painting - everything you need to know. I learned a lot. It explained lots to me that I just didn't know.

I also have Bob Davies watercolour series heading my way - well they were on special offer - Hello, my name is jim and I am an art addict :lol::lol::lol:
jim

Aelfwynn
11-25-2012, 11:58 AM
Lets see if the gremlins eat this post...

I hit 50,000 words on my NaNoWriMo novel today, 5 whole days early. And I only just hit the big plot climax (in fact, I'm in the middle of it). *wild cheering*.

Mij
11-25-2012, 02:30 PM
Hi there Mercy, well done on the writing target - 5 days early too. :thumbsup:
jim

Dougwas
11-25-2012, 07:55 PM
David- Your method for learning sounds very similar to mine. As I said before, I find you always get more out of a book when you read it more than once. I also think that when you write notes (or type them in Word), things seem to travel from your hand to your brain and you retain more information. You have got me thinking again. I have more than an few art books and I really should take them more seriously. Oh, just to let you know, my team lost.:(

Tatiana- It is good that you found the time to enter all the shows you had planned to enter. Good luck with those web sites.

Ulla- It sounds like you are coming along with your acrylics painting. Mixing paint will get easier the more you do it. Before you know it, you will just grab the color you need without really thinking about it. The right brain will just click in.

I really like Art Tutor. I like how the lessons are broken down to short sections. The instructors explain things well. I have watched videos on many mediums. Have fun! And there is nothing wrong with using the grid method to get your drawing down on your canvas/paper. If it gives you more confidence, then go for it.:thumbsup:

Jim- It is good that you got a chance to watch your DVD's, and it is even better that you learned a lot while watching them. Sometimes things are left out and you are left wondering how they did it????? I hope you enjoy the Bob Davies course. I enjoy his videos on Art Tutor.

Mercy- :clap: Way to go!!!:clap:

I am resting up today after doing something I never thought was possible. Yesterday I painted for six hours while watching the paint along with Johannes. At 12 x 16, it is the largest painting I have ever attempted AND I did it in oils. I was painting things that I didn't even know I knew how to paint. Mountains, trees, water, logs on top of AND below the water. I didn't have time to think. It was fast paced (for me) and my goal was to try to keep up with Jo and take in as much as I could. I kept the pain killers close at hand and needed them at first, but then I just seemed to get in a zone and forgot about it and just painted. I was mixing colors without much thought. It might not be a masterpiece, but you know what you are looking at when you see it. It could probably use some tweaking, but it was just a practice piece for me. A large practice piece.

So, I have gone from pastels to acrylics, and acrylics to oils. What's next? I don't know yet, but when my body feels better, at least I know I will be painting.;)

Doug

ullahennig
11-26-2012, 08:33 AM
Well folks, I just have to pop in and tell you: On the last weekend I met with some friends outside Berlin. They are artists, have left Berlin in February 2012 and plan to make themselves known as artists around where they live now. So they decided to participate in the day of the open studio some time in May 2013, and they asked me whether I would like to show my own paintings/drawings also together with them. OMG - my first show! I gulped, and then I said yes. (insane me). And: I'd shown some of my pieces to them and both of them favoured a piece done with coloured pencils and markers and said that art like this would fit very well with their paintings / art. So I think it's back to coloured pencils and markers...

Judibelle
11-27-2012, 04:42 PM
well, here it is, almost the end of the month, and I never did set any goals.
Just as well, though, as the month has been filled with other things.

I did, however, manage to get a landscape framed and submitted to our local Library's monthly art show. It was one done some time ago. the theme of the Show is 'Celebrating Winter", and this one fit nicely.

Never did come up with anything new, but managed to frame one more for the Art League's winter show which starts next week.

Next month I expect to get back on the track again and start painting.

Dougwas
11-27-2012, 09:02 PM
Ulla- Great news! They even gave you an idea of what they think will fit in with their work. I bet you will be creating with a purpose. Way to go!:thumbsup:

Judi- Has it been one of those months? Good to hear you have a painting in a show. I know you WILL get back to painting soon. :D

I had to go pick up my daughter yesterday. She had been staying with a friend in a town a little over an hour away. While we were in the Big City (not really, but bigger than ours) we did some Christmas shopping. I did some more shopping today and placed an order with Amazon (I get to play Santa again this year) so I think we are done. Not bad, it's not even December yet. My wife is shocked!:cool:

Now I should be able to pay more attention and spend more energy on painting. I am thinking of getting the Pans out. Here we go!;)

I posted my oil painting over in the Paint Along 4 thread. If you care to take a look, here is the link. http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1297442&page=5

Doug

Judibelle
11-28-2012, 09:39 AM
Well done, Doug! I particularly like your mountain peaks...

Turpintine45
11-28-2012, 02:06 PM
Well here I am again. The grands have gone home and I have washed all the beds and towels again and straightened up and even got down some Christmas stuff. Like Doug I even got some presents ordered!
You have all been busy writing and painting. Well done all of you!
I did made a start on a Spotlight which hopefully I will finish in time. I also got a couple of sketches in to the WDE despite the gremlins! So not totally artless even if it feels like it.
Doug great to see you painting again. You did a great job on the lake, mountain big painting. Just shows what you can do with someone to paint with. I really like the feel of light in the painting. Keep it up!:thumbsup:

Dougwas
11-28-2012, 07:23 PM
Judi- Thanks for the kind words. It was a workout, that's for sure, but it felt good. Those mountains were challenging, trying to get three different values and color temperatures. Trying to keep up with Jo made me make quick decisions. It was a very good exercise.

Jen- Welcome back! Good to hear that you have had a chance to do some art and online shopping. Thanks for the encouraging words and taking time to take a look at the painting. It has been a bit of a struggle, but it looks like I am back to painting.

I decided to try the same painting in pastels. I just started drawing out the basic shapes for the under painting. So that means I am going to have to get my sticks out of the storage room and set them up in the studio. I have to clean off a table first, but it won't take long.

On another topic, I made a goal at the start of the year that I wouldn't buy any pastels this year. Well, technically I'm not buying these, because my wife is getting them for me for Christmas. ;) She told me to get something that I wouldn't normally buy for myself. Oh boy!!!! :D I have heard nothing but good things about Girault pastels, so I am getting the Mowry 100 Landscape set. That should just about do it. I should never have to buy another stick again.:wink2: I know! I am spoiled rotten, but as I tell my wife, I'm worth it!:evil:

Take care everyone.

Doug

Mij
11-29-2012, 03:25 AM
as I tell my wife, I'm worth it!:evil:
Doug

Yes I'm sure you are correct Doug. Us males are always undervalued :angel:

I like your painting, very well done.

It is now the 29th of November and it looks like I will do no more on my goal front.
SWIMBO's cousin died and was cremated in Swansea and because of the MS flare-up we had to make the journey to Salisbury by train (SWIMBO couldn't contemplate the journey by car) then extend that to Swansea for the cremation. Got back last evening. What a journey! All those trains (avoiding going through London) and each change meant a ramp down off the train and another ramp up on another. Also a power chair taxi gets watered down to a 'wheel-chair' taxi. A wheelchair which is liftable. A powerchair needs a hoist or ramp. So we were let down by one company. Grrrrrrrr!
Being positive about goals I did accomplish some.
I attended a workshop in Trowbridge and I think I now can do trees at least in pastels.
I have attended and practiced four archery sessions.
I have accumulated all the bits to make the pastel box (see next month's goals). They await my attention in the utitlity room downstairs.
I have attended three art classes, the last for the month tomorrow afternoon.

Now we have a family visitor tomorrow and the grandees to make the Christmas decs and hang them on Saturday. So you can see I start the month running.....:lol::wave::thumbsup:
jim

Dougwas
11-29-2012, 11:51 AM
Jim- Sorry to hear about your wife's cousin. That is a tough thing to go through. Too bad that still in this day and age, some companies still have no clue when it comes to people who NEED special care. The good news is, you both made it through all the train and cab rides and are back home, safe and sound.

You had a great month for accomplishing your goals. To top everything off, you can now paint trees!!!!!!:clap: Have fun with the grand kids. I bet those decorations will be beautiful.

Take care.

Doug

Turpintine45
11-30-2012, 11:52 AM
Jim sorry to hear about your relative and all the dificulties in getting to the funeral. It is hard enough going to a funeral without having avoidable obstacles put in your way.
Well done on all your goals.
Doug go for it! Sounds like you are on a roll.
Well I got my Spotlight finished so not an entirely useless art month!

Colorix
11-30-2012, 06:28 PM
jim, how troublesome! same thing here, can t trust the transport...

Dougwas
11-30-2012, 09:35 PM
Jen- Way to go! Any month you get to paint is a good month.

I started a Pan painting last night after a scrapped effort with the sticks. I told my daughter that I have to start painting my way instead of trying to copy others. I hope to finish off the small painting tonight and get ready for the paint along tomorrow. Jo is painting in watercolor, but I think I will paint with Pans. That way I can't copy his method of painting. As I paint, I might just used my sticks as well. We will see.

I didn't stick to my goals this month, BUT I am painting again! That is all that matters. ;)

The new thread will be started in a few minutes.

Doug