PDA

View Full Version : Apple and Mango. Watercolour

Debzy
10-30-2012, 12:02 AM
Thought I would have a go at painting some fruit. I have never done fruit before. It was more of a quick study just to practice colour and values, shape and form etc. I painted them whilst sitting outside but there was no sun and it was a fairly dull day. It was tricky to get the light right. Anyway, thought I'd put it on here to see what you think and any suggestions/critique/advice are welcome. Cheers =)) Debs.

pjartwc
10-30-2012, 04:49 AM
Very nice watercolor study. I love the fluid juicy greens - very much watercolor. Perhaps the dark shadow could be lighter around the edges with touches of the fruit color. My only real problem is in the right background. You have the space divided into three almost equal-same value areas. The blue looks like water, which I don't think you intended. Perhaps if you soften the upper blue edge and touched in some orange or green and let it merge into the wet areas would add interest. Look at how much more interesting the background on the left is.

rossmarie
10-30-2012, 06:04 AM
Debs - you have a real talent for watercolour. The fruit is very convincing and looks very appetizing! I like the sheen and highlights on the green apple particularly.

The dark shadow under the fruit is perhaps a little too uniformly dark and lacking in any hint of reflective colour and I agree with pjartwc about the background (right). Perhaps a more indistinct background with less of a "horizon line" or table edge would work better?

Anyway, excellent work....I must attempt more of this myself.

Mike:thumbsup:

Debzy
10-30-2012, 08:59 AM
Thank you so much Jan and Mike! I totally agree! The left side does look better. I can change the right side to make it more interesting and soften the shadows and add reflective colour. Great advice and much appreciated =)) Will post update when done. Cheers and thanks for the encouraging compliments. =)) Debs.

Andrewcody
10-30-2012, 07:58 PM
Debsy
They look like a Kensington Pride Mango and a Granny Smith Apple, so easy to discern. The shadow should not be black, the fruit tend to float rather than be grounded, and the horizon line should be emmmm straight.
I am sure you already know all of that and as you said this was painted outside from life no doubt - so this is really excellent.
Regards
Andrew

crafor
10-30-2012, 10:22 PM
HA! I was so focused on the shine on the apple I didn't notice the shadow! The spotting on the mangoes I get is generally somewhat larger, and more erratic--is that the word? l
You made them very rounded. Good work.
Ella

Debzy
10-31-2012, 06:32 AM
Thank you Andrew and Ella! Yes, it was painted outside and I had trouble with the shadow. I agree, it is way too dark. I did notice the crooked horizon Andrew. =)) Thanks for the encouragement and nice comments. I will change it to improve it but will probably keep trying fruit until I get them right. First quick attempt, many things I would change next time! Fun to try though, enjoyed mixing colours to get the closest I could. Yes, the spots are a bit round, I just flicked the paintbrush and the paint underneath wasn't quite dry enough so they all ended up round =)) cheers my friends and thank you again! I think you are right Andrew with the varieties, they are fairly specific and typical colour-wise. =)) Debs.