PDA

View Full Version : St Juan Tenerife

rossmarie
10-28-2012, 12:41 PM
Well, we will see if this will upload.......

Painted on holiday and almost all I want to do to it. You can fiddle too long.

St Juan used to be a pretty little fishing port but the place has "mushroomed" and almost all the old traditional fishing boats have gone.Here is a modern one.

Crits welcome.

Usually it pays to keep reflections simple in watercolour. Here I have dabbled a bit more - hope I have not overdone it. Sketched in situ http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Oct-2012/1111482-St_Juan_Tenerife_re-sized.JPG and I can still feel the heat!

Mike

Debzy
10-29-2012, 08:18 AM
Wow Mike! I think this is fantastic! I am always so impressed with your technique and colour choices, and subject matter! I love this! My only concern (opinion only of course) is that I lose the top of the boat in the sky. I would probably add some more blue to the sky near the top canopy of the boat to bring it out a bit if it were mine. But marvellous job and your reflections are fabulous. Very well done Mike!!! Cheers =)) Debs.

rossmarie
10-29-2012, 10:09 AM
Thanks Debzy - I agree that the top of the boat is rather lost against the sky. Difficult when the superstructure is white. Think I could perhaps get a little more blue in but can't make it very deep because it would look wrong low on the horizon where the rest is rather hazy.

Another thing I would do differently another time would be to spend less time fiddling with background shore and buildings. The background is a bit too cluttered for my liking when the picture is really about the fishing boat and the water.

Thanks for commenting. Have had a difficult day or two when nothing has seemed to work and I was beginning to think I was incapable of painting anything. It happens...now and then.

Cheers

Mike:wave:

crafor
10-29-2012, 04:35 PM
Your boat is wonderfu, and so is the water. The ripples and reflections make it look wet, cool, and inviting. The water is so well done, it competes with the boat as center of interest. Great job!
Ella

Round
11-01-2012, 02:23 AM
Hi Mike

You boats and reflections are excellent. The water is really convincing.

I think you've kept the background understated given the detail you've included. The only thing I would change is to 'lose' the tallest building which keeps vying for my attention!

Love your boat works.
Round

rossmarie
11-04-2012, 08:34 AM
Crafor & Round - thanks for your feedback. I quite like the reflections too - often they go horribly wrong (usually by not knowing when to stop!)

Round - think you might be right about the tall building.

regards

arnieb
11-04-2012, 11:43 AM
Great boats and reflections. Agree with Rounds suggestion about the taller buildings - subdue/remove? Arnie

Andrewcody
11-04-2012, 07:10 PM
Mike this is really good, the boats are vivid and very believable
I have looked at your boats on water paintings recently and been very impressed.
I have a Crit, but I am not sure if I am correct or not, but in this work and you last work, the boats and water are very good, but where the water and the wharf or pier meet I find it hard to distinguish any height difference, it is as if the top of the wharf is at the same level as the water.
As I said it might be me - :)
Regards
Andrew

Trumper
11-05-2012, 04:13 AM
Just out of interest ,if there's no shadow how would you show a gap in height between the water and quayside?.
I know when we go kayaking we use a multi height set of staging and the lowest one is at the water level.
Just intrigued as to how you can show a height gap on two flat surfaces?

rossmarie
11-05-2012, 10:06 AM
Thanks Trumper, Andrew & Arnieb.
Agree height difference doesn't show up v. well between quay top and water.
Two ways I think I could have fixed it:

1. paint the quay top bolder (which I didn't want to do) or

2. introduce a right angle "return" to the quay wall (or steps going down) so that you can paint a darker wall in shadow going down towards the water. There wasn't one but I could have painted one if I had thought about it!

In reality, you always sense a drop when you are standing on a quay wall (vertigo) but painting it can be a bit of a problem.