PDA

View Full Version : getting prepared

Dcam
10-27-2012, 12:35 AM
Some here, might remember hurricane Irene and how I lost trees and had much damage and flooding along with some of you other good folks on the East Coast.
I wanted to get to my studio for the past two days, but have been getting the property ready for a much more powerful storm than Irene. It has us all pretty scared here on the East Coast. If you have watched the news, two very large storms will meet possibly late Sunday into Monday.
Power is expected to take a week or more to come back in most areas.
This will be a BIG one.
Stay safe all you who are involved.

Godbless.

Derek

Ruthie57
10-27-2012, 06:39 AM
Derek dear, my thoughts are with you and all those who may be affected. Lets hope the anticipation is worse than the reality this time. Fingers crossed for everyone.

DBfarmgirl
10-27-2012, 12:24 PM
Derek- hopefully this one won't be so bad. Losing trees always gets to me, so many years to get big and then gone in a second.
Good Luck and be careful.

Here they are just calling for heavy rain and 50mph winds. We get a very tamed version inland. My son is camping on Assateague Island right now but is due to head home tomorrow morning. (2 years ago I send him to New Mexico during the wild fires, now I let him go into a hurricane? .... He's with the Boy Scouts so I feel he's safe.)

cchapin
10-27-2012, 01:05 PM
Hopefully it won't be too bad. My daughter lived in Manhattan during the hurricane last year, but has since moved to Brazil. I know you all got it much worse than her area last year. Good luck.

Deborah Secor
10-27-2012, 01:11 PM
Batten down the hatches, Derek, and pray for the best! I'm hoping Sandy decides to take an Atlantic cruise, however unlikely that may be... Keeping you all in prayer!

Dougwas
10-27-2012, 02:33 PM
Good luck to you, Derek, and all the East Coast folks. I hope all the experts are wrong and the winds die down before the storm hits. Take care.

Doug

water girl
10-27-2012, 05:19 PM
Stay safe, Derek. And the rest of you on the East Coast as well. Please check in with us so we know you're OK.

SherryC
10-27-2012, 10:26 PM
Derek, prayers are coming your way from Arkansas. I truly hope this one falters before doing any more damage. Blessings. Sherry

allydoodle
10-27-2012, 10:31 PM
Yeah, this looks to be a bad one..... You know it's bad when the local power authority sends out an automatic "update" stating that we should expect 7-10 days of power outages.... Talk about stressed, when I hung up from that phone call it pretty much ruined my day today. I've been a crank ever since, my poor daughter doesn't know what to make of me. We have a sailboat, and the marina also called with an automatic "update", and theirs wasn't much better. I'm in a pretty foul mood right now, and I'm not known to be a crabby cake. I'm pretty worried about the storm surge as well as the winds. The boat might just float away even though it's on land now, and the trees are still full of leaves, so with all that water they become pretty heavy.

We put everything outside that was a possible torpedo away, made sure that all areas that will have running water are cleared, and cleared the gutters of all leaves. I also had to catch up on all the laundry, if we have no power for a long period I had to make sure we have enough clean clothes and such. Tomorrow we are getting sandbags to place in front of our basement windows, and some extensions for our gutters so the water doesn't gush too close to the house. This doesn't look like it's going to be much fun.

I sure hope everybody stays safe and their homes are okay. Do what you can now to be ready, take all necessary precautions. Don't take any unnecessary risks. I am not an alarmist, but this is looking pretty bad.

God bless all that may be affected. Stay safe Derek.

MJGresko
10-27-2012, 10:41 PM
Will be thinking of you Derek...not going to be much better where I am. Went to the store today...no water or ice. Plenty of milk and bread though! Lol.

Judi1957
10-27-2012, 11:31 PM
I'm praying they are wrong Derek, though they seem pretty sure of this.:( Hatches are battened down and stocking up tomorrow.
I think we are expecting a lot of rain and heavy snow, up to a foot, here in Johnstown.
Geeze - high winds and power outages.

Hope you fare well and will be watching for word from you and all that you are safe.

Like Karen said--everyone affected check in here - this thread--when you can.

:grouphug:

Dcam
10-28-2012, 12:08 AM
Thanks for the prayers and kind words my friends.

We in the east may be off-line for a wee bit.

:wave: Derek

DBfarmgirl
10-28-2012, 09:04 AM
My son's Assateague Island campout was cut short, no surprise there. He said the wind and waves were already impressive when they left. Glad he's home well before it hits.

Good luck and be safe everyone.

*Deirdre*
10-28-2012, 10:06 AM
Derek dear, my thoughts are with you and all those who may be affected. Lets hope the anticipation is worse than the reality this time. Fingers crossed for everyone.
Couldn't have said it better Ruth! My thoughts are with you all too...

RickinNM
10-28-2012, 11:50 PM
Every one in the sights of sandy . Take care stay safe if you can . Im praying its overblown on its potential . Hope to hear from every one when the utilities are back on.

sketchZ1ol
10-29-2012, 03:26 PM
hello
Derek , DB , Chris , Marcia , Judi -
my thoughts are for you all . :heart:

tracking looks like i'll get singed , not burned , but
along with canned goods , bread , and gasoline ,
i got cash from the bank :
if the power goes out , electronic stuff doesn't happen ... !

be well .

Ed :}

ps. the local supermart was discounting -
the store is in a low area near a river
and it has been flooded several times .
someone was thinking ... !

Dcam
10-29-2012, 04:27 PM
Ed: Hang in there ;looks like Ct. will get hit pretty bad tonight as well.

Stay safe.

derek

Dharma_bum
10-29-2012, 04:52 PM
Hoping everyone gets through this OK.

Dan

Judi1957
10-29-2012, 08:08 PM
Ed--like Derek said things are not looking great for Connecticut either. Glad you have your supplies.

Conditions here are not near what they called for--at least yet.
All day rain and winds. What is really concerning about here is the flood warnings. We take floods extremely seriously here. Rain can cause a lot of anxiety.
In 1889 the dam above town broke due to the neglet of the big wigs from
Pittsburgh like the Carnegies who had summer cottages there. We are about 70 mi east of Pittsburgh. 2,000 died in the flood. This is when Clara Barton made her first appearance with the Red Cross. We had another in 1936 due to a fast spring thaw. Don't know the fatalities of that one.
Last one was 1977--just moved out on my own and a week later the flood hit.
I believe 110 or so died, including 3 friends. Below is our ravaged valley then and the Toyota on top of the truck on the magazine cover was mine. I now live on the mountain in a brick house.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Oct-2012/37258-jfvalley.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Oct-2012/37258-jf_my_car.jpg

Rambling on....

Take care all!

Colorix
10-30-2012, 08:59 AM
Thinking of you all, the reports are horrible. They say a dam did burst, this time too.

Judibelle
10-30-2012, 10:40 AM
Ed...Did you take advantage of the supermarket discounts? hope you stayed dry and safe...
Judi....thinking of you in PA...did you get snow?
Chris and Blue....thinking of you both. 'Fraid your areas got hit pretty badly...
Derek....I know Jersey was hit bad... hope you stayed safe...
my daughter lives in Passaic County...she is still without power...

We lost power a couple of different times,off for most of the night, but it was on by this morning. A huge tree across the street from us was toppled....fortunately it fell parellel to the road....otherwise it would have gone right across the road and into our house.... WHEW!...
and at least we didnt get the SNOW!

DBfarmgirl
10-30-2012, 11:52 AM
Everything is good here. Haven't lost electricity even with some impressive wind gusts. The bottom fields are flooded, but that was to be expected.

My big "storm" problem was of my own making- I HATE wind. (I can't imagine what it's like by the coast) I couldn't sleep so I was up at 4am. Let the dogs out and they both got skunked. So my husband and I were bathing dogs at 4am, 45 degrees and raining. I went through 4 bottles of peroxide before they smelled better.

I'll take skunked dogs over what so many people are dealing with now, any day.

Good Luck to those further east. What I've seen on the news is scary.

Judi- My family went to Johnstown to check on my Aunt after the 77 Flood. I can still remember all the damage and mud everywhere. (They were fine, lost the garage, a dog and had 4 feet of mud in the basement.)

MJGresko
10-30-2012, 12:20 PM
Hi all. Not on here much but thought I'd check in. My area faired pretty well. No flooding and they are not expecting the river to flood at this point. Electric went out for about 1 min last night, ironically after an electric truck went up the street. A dead tree across the street fell over, luckily into the church parking lot. Had it fallen the other way it probably would have gotten our house. Perhaps some devine intervention occurred! Still raining and gusting but not expecting anything major to happen. We were lucky!

Judi1957
10-30-2012, 01:29 PM
I am so glad to hear from you all checking in and that you are OK.

Real concerns for Derek, Chris and Ed. :( :(

We really fared well. River is fairly high but have seen it higher. Lil snow. Nothing to speak of.

DBfarmgirl
10-30-2012, 02:38 PM
I've been hoping to hear from them too.
We're praying for you Chris, Blue, Derek and anyone else dealing with this storm.

MJGresko
10-30-2012, 06:13 PM
I think Derek's area has flooding again so probably won't be hearing from him for awhile. And Blue I think was in the thick of it all. Not sure about Chris.

*Deirdre*
10-30-2012, 06:41 PM
I'm so saddened to hear of the devastation. Waiting too, to hear that all our friends are safe. I know it will be a while before electricity is restored and people feel up to logging on again. We'll just have to able patient and pray that there will be no more damage done.

bluefish
10-31-2012, 08:53 AM
Good Morning Friends..........I'm staying @ my daughter's home about 8 miles from the ocean, near Atlantic City and we just goy power back.....My Island home, north of here is in terrible shape......flooded roads, sand coated roads where the sand dunes were pushed over the roads.....no power, no gas.....and an estimate of at least 10 days before anyone is allowed to return.. thank you all for your concerns........power is still out in North Jersey, so we won't be hearing from Derek for awhile.....

'blue :wave:

*Deirdre*
10-31-2012, 09:51 AM
Hi Blue! Great to see you back - safe and sound! There are so many still without electricity I'm not at all surprised not to see Derek - but it will be a relief when he does show up.

I'm sure I've seen Ed post Judi!

My brother and family fared quiet well, trees down but narrowly missed the house...and of course the electrics are out, but they do have a small generator.

Devonlass
10-31-2012, 10:26 AM
Blue I have been thinking about you a lot, as I believe you live out on the barrier island. The aerial photos that have been shown on TV look dreadful, I can just imagine what a terrible mess you will have to go back to. Do you actually live within sight of the ocean? ....the worse damage seems to be there, though it looks like everybody will have water and sand damage to deal with. Sending good wishes you way.

Dougwas
10-31-2012, 10:59 AM
Good to hear from you, Blue. I am glad you made out okay, but sorry to hear about your neighborhood. I saw the damage to places along the shore and was hoping your area wasn't one of them. When we heard on CNN that the Barrier Islands were under evacuation notice, I told my daughter, "that's where Blue lives!" She looked at me kind of strange, but that's normal.:smug: Good luck to you. Keep us posted.

Doug

bluefish
10-31-2012, 11:22 AM
yes Carol. my home(I hope!) is very close to the ocean......it was probably a few hundred yards fro the water's edge but in the 1990's they built a new getty wall(this is a Scandinavian decent fishing village....527 full time residents that swells to over 15,000 in the vacation season)and the new getty has increased the beach size by hundreds of yards with a build up of large dunes......these dunes have protected my home from other storms, Hurricanes, northeasterns, etc......I sure pray they succeeded this time also.....twenty blocks further south, the dunes were pushed onto the main road and the ocean met the bay......it's living in 'paradise' except for the storms(and the vacationers.LOL!)....but they do purchase paintings....;)

Deborah Secor
10-31-2012, 11:26 AM
Blue, I saw your post over in greenie's.... Glad to read of the wall, and I hope it helped made the difference!

Edit - ref to pm

Ruthie57
10-31-2012, 12:25 PM
Blue, glad you're safe! that's the main thing. Hope there's not too much damage to your home, when you eventually get back there.

Judi1957
10-31-2012, 01:16 PM
Hi Blue-

So happy you are safe!!!

Thanks Dee--glad Ed is OK then!

sketchZ1ol
10-31-2012, 03:23 PM
hello
thx all ! :heart:

i did post on the other thread .
> mentioned that the power stayed on 1/4 mile south of me
( and i live on a main route [ grumble ] ) ,
but fortunately , my favorite watering hole is there ,
and the whole day was happy hour prices for everything , so
i grabbed my charcoals , sketch pad , and a short selection of sticks
and hung out , worked some ideas , and did sketches of the patrons
-> gave some away for shameless self-promotion :evil:
--> ended up spending just for the first few , and generous tips :cool:

my thoughts go out to folks who are dealing with serious poo ,
inland and west , as well as shore ,
and especially the utility and services people on all levels who'll ' getter done ' :thumbsup:

bluefish
10-31-2012, 05:05 PM
Yes Ed......our hats off to those 'utility personel' who are working long hours, around the clock to help restore the needed utilies.......they are a marvelous bunch and so unappreciated......if you see they working, honk the horn and give them a big smile and a thumbs up.....

'blue :thumbsup:

Colorix
10-31-2012, 05:22 PM
Glad so many of you are healthy, and I hope your houses still stand.

What a horrible ordeal. Glad you didn't get the snow on top of that.

bluefish
10-31-2012, 06:50 PM
I just saw that Derek is on.......welcome back old buddy......you have power?..is everything O.K. with you and yours?

allydoodle
10-31-2012, 09:42 PM
Checking in with everybody... so glad you are safe 'blue.. sad about your home.... i hope it turns out to be better than the reports show...I am typing on my phone right now so i apologize for any misspellings.. ...I have no damage thank goodness.. very lucky.. even our sailboat made it through, we were very surprised.. had it pulled on friday... but all the people that lost homes and had damage... so very upsetting.. i have no power so i have no access to the news to see footage.. just my phone and i dont want to waste battery... running a generator which helps a lot... lucky to have it... hope derek is okay.. glad everybody that has checked in is okay. Thank you so much for your suport.

bluefish
10-31-2012, 10:12 PM
Chris.....so glad it wasn't worst for you.....the footage of the devestation is mind boggling........some poor people lost everything.....power will return and the sun will come up tomorrow......even a big tanker got standed in Staten Island,,,lots and lots of boat damage.....so glad the sailboat will sail again....stay safe...'blue :wave:

DAK723
10-31-2012, 11:36 PM
Glad to be hearing from so many of you that live in the NYC, Long Island, NJ and Connecticut area!

Don

Dougwas
10-31-2012, 11:51 PM
Good to hear from you, Chris. I was thinking of you while watching the footage on tv. So many people are affected by the storm. Hope you get your power back soon so you can get back to a normal life again. Take care.

Doug

Ruthie57
11-01-2012, 06:11 AM
Chris, so glad you're safe. What a terrible storm and now the clearing up begins......

*Deirdre*
11-01-2012, 06:28 AM
Hi Chris...really glad to see you're safe and well..Derek too! What a relief! I know it's difficult without electricity...so don't worry about checking in here until you have the time, and energy!

mollerman
11-01-2012, 09:36 AM
Glad to hear everyone made it through the caos! Hope you all get things cleaned up soon and get back to the norm. Been through three floods myself, two in one year... not much fun.

Merethe T
11-01-2012, 07:07 PM
Glad to see everyone checking in, it's good to know you're all safe and made it through the storm. It was a tough one, I hope you'll get back to normal again soon.

Lynndidj
11-02-2012, 02:36 PM
So glad to hear that everyone is safe!! Blue, I hope that wall held and your home is still standing. Chris, so happy for you that your home and property remain intact - what a relief given the devastation everywhere. Derek may still not have power. We have a friend in Northern New Jersey and they got power back last night and contacted us to let us know they were ok. They said TONS of trees were down in their area.

Well, I'm off to vote. God Bless us, everyone.

Lynn

bluefish
11-02-2012, 07:56 PM
Still not allowed back on my Island......no power and there were so many gas leaks that they shut the entire system down......say it will be at least 6 weeks before they can restore the system ( 28,000 people without gas)......and gas is my lifes blood.....heat, cooking, hot water, drying, etc......all the restaurants will be closed because they all cook with gas....allege that power will be restored and we can enter Wed or Thurs......no idea what condition house is in(but no flood water damage) and two refrigerators of spoiled food......ugh.....it sure was 'paradise' until now......

people in North Jersey(Derek's area) are standing in line 2-3 hours to get gas....even for the small generators.......

so be very thankful for where you are and what you have......'blue :wave:

bluefish
11-02-2012, 08:03 PM
forgot to mention that they had to bring in the state police and marine police to stop the looters coming onto the island by boat.....lovely individuals, the slimmy lot.....:evil: there is a 6PM to 6AM curfeu for those that remained on the Island......

*Deirdre*
11-02-2012, 08:14 PM
That sounds awful for you...and the others, Blue. Are you still staying with your daughter?

We're still getting some news re Sandy and the aftermath - but nowhere near as much as in the beginning.
It doesn't bear thinking about the damage, and even worse, all the deaths. My heart goes out to you all...except the looters.

Davkin
11-02-2012, 08:32 PM
We still haven't heard from Derek have we? I hope he's okay.

David

*Deirdre*
11-02-2012, 09:06 PM
I just saw that Derek is on.......welcome back old buddy......you have power?..is everything O.K. with you and yours?

He did manage to get on once I believe...but I fully expect he's too busy with life and just wanted to let us know he was ok....

bluefish
11-02-2012, 09:52 PM
Deirdre

yes I am still at my daughers home......about an hour away from my Island....

at best I'm safe and comfortable but apprehensive about what lies ahead......

allydoodle
11-03-2012, 12:43 AM
I am so sorry 'blue, your paradise was hit so very hard. I am glad you have no flood damage, that is the worst I think. Being forced out of your home is absolutely awful, you have my thoughts and prayers during this most difficult time. So much was lost in this storm, so many people's lives are forever changed. I hope Derek is doing okay........

Those gas lines are here on Long Island as well. People are parking their cars in front of the gas pumps after the stations close, so they can be first in line in the morning. They actually are leaving their cars there and going home, to return in the morning to be first in line. I swear, it makes me embarassed to be human....... This whole gas thing will pass soon enough, there isn't a gas shortage, the power just needs to be fixed so all the gas stations can pump gas, and they need to get the deliveries started again (I think that has happened, there just aren't enough gas stations pumping yet). I believe the plants where they fill the trucks have no power either, which is part of the problem. Again, once the power is restored the gas will be delivered and pumped.

I have faith, this will pass..... The power authority is out there working, with extra crews from out of state, so the power will return. Patience is what is needed, and people just don't have it, they are in panic mode. There are so many still without power, a very frustrating thing. I know all about no power, I've done it many times so I truly understand what it feels like, and I am so sorry anybody has to go through it. We ended up getting a generater years ago because we know how horrible it is to live that way. This was the first time we got our power back early, we usually end up last on the list, getting it back after days of torture. People are trying to get gas for their generators as well as their cars, which doesn't help either.

I also think this caught many off-guard, there are a couple of people at my husband's job that only had enough gas to get them home today. Good thing it is Friday, they don't have to work tomorrow. Hopefully they will find gas before the weekend is over. I was able to fill up my car yesterday, and my husband left me his car today so I was able to fill his up this morning. Our plan is for me to not drive anywhere (I really don't need to), so he has his car and mine to use for work. If it is necessary we have two weeks worth of gas for him to get to work (between both cars). We are fortunate to have that luxury as I don't work out of the home. Not everybody is as fortunate, though I really don't think this is at all necessary. This panic should be over by early next week, like I said there is no gas shortage, just a power outage that needs to be fixed.

I'm not sure how bad it is in New Jersey with regard to their power outage, they may be having a harder time fixing all their problems... I sure hope not though. The gas lines in Jersey look as bad, if not worse, than Long Island. I heard one line was 2 1/2 miles long.... yeesh.....

Davkin
11-03-2012, 02:00 AM
I forgot you lived out there Chris. Glad to hear you are getting by okay. You never know when a disaster might strike, always good to be prepared.

David

allydoodle
11-03-2012, 12:33 PM
Thanks David, I am so very fortunate. Others, however are not. It is a very hard time, very difficult to watch.

I just heard a report from our Govenor Cuomo. He is an amazing man, very inspirational, a great leader. He is a New Yorker, from the burough of Queens, and I am very proud to have him as our govenor. Through his efforts the gas crisis is taking a turn towards normalcy. He has worked with the federal government to have gasoline trucked to NY, while also getting NY harbors opened to tankers. He sped up the process, as the agency responsible was moving so slowly, making it impossible to get gas to the stations with power. He also is having generators delivered to those gas stations with gas but without power, clever man. He also worked to get 1 million meals delivered to those that need it most, amazing. The food is here right now, being distributed. Hot meals to those that haven't had a hot meal in almost a week. Governor Cuomo also contacted Governor Molloy of Conneticut for help. Conneticut wasn't hit nearly as hard as NY, so CT is sending help and resources our way. The Tri-State area takes care of their own, amazing. The NY MTA has the subway system working 80 percent, another amazing feat. That whole team is extremely effective, the man running it has done an unbelieveable job.

I am waiting to hear what Governor Christie has to say, I know he has his hands full in New Jersey and he is working hard for his people too. The gas lines are crazy there, and I don't know the specifics on their power situation, but I know it isn't good. I am surely hoping they are getting help too.

There are stories of such sadness also. A woman in Staten Island was in her car with her two boys, ages 2 and 4. The car was getting flooded, she took the boys out, and the floodwaters just swept them out of her arms. Their bodies were found days later.... so very sad and upsetting. I couldn't even imagine what she is going through right now.

Another sad story of a place in Queens called Breezy Point. 111 homes lost in a fire so horrific, it almost doesn't sound true. The dispatcher found herself telling people that needed help that they weren't responding, they couldn't.... She was telling old ladies to get on their roofs in 70-mile-an-hour winds... When the firemen arrived, it was so difficult that a fire truck was seen floating down the street, and the word went out to let the buildings burn. When they finally could get in the hydrants had no pressure, so they sucked up floodwater, fighting fire with flood. The wind was so fierce that the flames just went from one house to the next, there was no way to stop it. When pipes melted, gas was released and houses exploded 50 feet in the air. The firemen strapped themselves to tower trucks, spraying water from 70 feet in the air while the wind gusted to 60 miles per hour. They were locals, so they watched as their own homes burned, but they continued to fight. At this point containment was their only answer. What is most amazing, no one died..... A movie could be made from this story, no fiction could top it. The photos are unbelievable.

*Deirdre*
11-03-2012, 01:29 PM
Reading your stories brought tears to my eyes Chris, it must have be devastating for so many people. My thoughts and prayers are still with them.
Sounds like you have some good people there, getting things done, top down.
I know not everyone will have had help yet...but at least it's coming.:crossfingers:

sketchZ1ol
11-03-2012, 02:29 PM
hello
those gas explosions were LP or natural gas as compared to gasoline/petrol .
the feedlines are underground for areas/neighborhoods , compared to individual storage tanks for households .
> the distribution plants have been shut down - Any kind of spark will ignite the gas
( like the way the Hindenberg dirigible blew up )
-> Blue posted about how his house relies on gas for heat , cooking , etc.

if anyone can reach anyone using natural gas , tell them to shut off ANY valves ( if they know what/where they are ) and/or contact the supplier to get Specific instructions or a service person , Especially after the supply has been restored !!!
-> two months ago , someone in my town had tanks , a leak , called a technician who came out , but even then , something lit the gas/tanks , leveled the house , and vaporized the techie ...

Use Utmost Caution !!!!!

*Marina*
11-03-2012, 03:28 PM
It is just terrible reading all this and seeing reports on television. My thoughts are with every one dealing with the problems and hope things settle down. It will be quite some time before everything is restored.

Lynndidj
11-04-2012, 01:48 AM
Chris, you have been through so much. I'm so sorry. And Blue ... well you will for sure need to get rid of your refrigerators. I hope that will be the extent of your damages. I'm also so glad that you can stay with your daughter at a time like this. It is comforting to have the support of your family. Still, not being able to return to your home for such a long time must be very hard.

We heard and saw the footage about the fire in Breezy Point - what an absolute nightmare that was. So incredibly sad!!! I imagine that many people who have been without power are just finding out about the extent of Sandy's devastation. It's amazing that the subway system is already getting up and running, I thought that would take a lot longer. I'm sure New Jersey and Staten Island will take a lot longer to recover - they were hit so hard. Well, hopefully we will hear from Derek soon. It is very easy to say that things can be replaced and people can't. And it is so true. But when you end up losing all of your things, and your home, that just has to be so incredibly hard to know where to begin to pick up the pieces and start over.

Lynn

jackiesimmonds
11-04-2012, 06:55 AM
I am sitting here in warmth and safety, listening to the rain beating down on the roof above me and eyeing a continuous drip from a new leak in the roof window as it hits my pastels table and thinking "so what, it is just a tiny drip, how lucky am I to have just a drip" after reading all these posts.

What terribly devastation you guys have suffered, both physically and emotionally draining, I have absolutely no doubt. A living hell, dealing with floods and fire and goodness knows what else. My heart goes out to all who are still suffering, this isn't something that gets cleaned up overnight.

I wish everyone strength to cope with it all, as cope you must.

Jackie

Studio-1-F
11-04-2012, 11:43 AM
Remarkably sad before+after aerial photographs here. (http://www.weather.com/news/weather-hurricanes/before-after-images-sandy-20121102)

I thank all our lucky stars and Guardian Angels that we escaped with just a few downed trees here in DC. Whew.

Jan

Lynndidj
11-05-2012, 12:25 AM
Holy Cow, Jan. Those pictures are unreal. Reminds me of the tsunami in Japan.

Lynn

bnoonan
11-05-2012, 10:17 PM
Makes me so sad to think of you in this situation. I was inconvenienced by the storm with travel but nothing compared to what you are enduring....

Anyone heard from Derek? Barb

allydoodle
11-05-2012, 10:43 PM
Makes me so sad to think of you in this situation. I was inconvenienced by the storm with travel but nothing compared to what you are enduring....

Anyone heard from Derek? Barb

I'm very fortunate Barb, no damage, just inconvenienced by lack of power for three days. Very lucky indeed. Others are struggling, it's a disaster out there. Haven't heard from Derek, hope he's okay. I'm thinking he's out of power, I'm hoping he isn't dealing with any damage due to the high winds. The coastal areas got flooded, if he's inland a bit it's the wind he had to contend with. And, of course, the gas lines. I hear they're pretty bad in New Jersey. Keeping my fingers crossed he's okay.... Poor 'blue has a lot to deal with. I am hoping he doesn't have too much damage. I think he said he didn't have any flooding, a good thing. Amazing too, considering where he is.

Kathryn Wilson
11-07-2012, 02:42 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss Blue - let's hope it's just the fridges and nothing much more. At least you are warm and dry at your daughter's. I imagine the anquish of not knowing what is happening to your home is overwhelming - I've been thinking of you and praying that things come out okay.

Still worried about Derek.

Chris - the second storm has been hitting LI today - how are you making out?

allydoodle
11-07-2012, 04:30 PM
Still worried about Derek.

Chris - the second storm has been hitting LI today - how are you making out?

Me too about Derek. I did see his name on the boards yesterday though, I think he's been here. I hope he's okay.

So far so good about today's storm. Cold and rainy, some bursts of snow. I'm glad to be home and not out, it's a raw kind of cold. The wind isn't too bad yet, hoping it stays this way. It's just plain ugly out. Maybe a good day to do some sketching.

*Deirdre*
11-07-2012, 04:44 PM
I haven't seen Derek for about a week, not surprising given the lack of electricity etc...I'm sure it's the combination of the effects of the flood and winds...we'll just have to keep him, and all the others not yet sorted out, in our prayers.

Turpintine45
11-08-2012, 12:47 AM
He's back and well! So all the lambs are accounted for if a bit chilly and probably feeling a little house bound. Hope all the latest nasty clears out quickly so the clean up can get back on track. Blue hope you find everything where it should be even if the fridges are not too sweet. At least the cold might help them!
I have been following all of you just shut out by the Gremlins. Thanks for your help Dierdre, and Ruthie too.