PDA

View Full Version : Cory

crafor
10-25-2012, 08:01 PM
Cory, 11x`4 inches, oil on canvas
I tried to post this in the critique forum, but the site won't let me. So I am posting here, and asking for C&C on any and every aspect. I do know the white/red shirt collars are not correct, I'm watching the paint dry! I wiped back that dark shadow area above his lip, his right side and the dark brown line at the philtrum

Asking for technical and asthetic comments and suggestions re the coloring, shadows, details, likeness, and anything that jumps out at you--I don't think something jumping out of this is a good thing. Thanks.
Thanks for your thoughts.
Ella reference photo:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Oct-2012/978289-P4150200.JPG

my work:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Oct-2012/978289-PA250009.JPG

Andrewcody
10-25-2012, 08:22 PM
Hi Crafor, seem you have squared his head off a bit to fit it inside the canvas?
Regards
Andrew

crafor
10-25-2012, 08:46 PM
Hey, Andrew, No, there's several inches of sky. I see what you're saying. I think I can fix that! Good catch, thanks. THERE! I think it's fixed. :)
Ella

Andrewcody
10-25-2012, 08:51 PM
Excellent....

La_
10-26-2012, 02:45 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Oct-2012/84648-guy_compare.jpg

well, testing the image uploader resize function and it's working! yay tech team!!

anyway, yeah, cool stuff and you've got some fabulous work here

hoping the image gives you some help in deciding just how close to reality you want to get, there's seemingly always room for tweaks in a portraits, be it in precise shape of nostril or curve/width of gentle smile

la

Trumper
10-26-2012, 07:58 AM
If you flick your eye quickly from one image to the other and back you can see the differences.
For me the one that stands out is the square top of the head,the right ear seems more flush to the head in the photo as well.
Good luck.

pjartwc
10-26-2012, 09:32 AM
I know this is tough, but if you are going to paint portraits, you must perfect your drawing skills. Compare your painting to the reference photo. Check every angle. Good luck.

crafor
10-26-2012, 04:22 PM
La, Thanks! HOW DO you DO that?
Thanks for those encouraging words and your suggestions. That nostril is way off, and I see now the left side of his mouth (Viewer right) should be a little longer.
Trumper, you are right about that ear, and I may be able to repair it.
Jan, thanks, I have that back of the head needs adjusted.
I also now see where part of the problem is stemming from.

Thanks! That is exsctly the help I assked for. Now I think I can make the painting more closely resemble the model.
Ella

crafor
10-28-2012, 05:15 PM
Cory, oil on canvas. Hard crits, please.
I think everything has been addressed. What have I missed?
Thanks for your time and comments.
Ella

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Oct-2012/978289-PA280015.JPG

Debzy
10-29-2012, 08:54 AM
Wow that is a super improvement Ella! Amazing what a few very minor tweaks can do! You must be very pleased with this now! I think possibly his ear may have a little too sharp an angle on it, perhaps it could be a fraction more softer curved. Great job though! Good looking young man too!!! Cheers =)) Debs.

crafor
10-29-2012, 04:32 PM
Hi, Debs, Thanks for your kind words! It's the details, of course...those small things that make such a difference. I get to the point I can't see it anymore, and miss things that are obvious to fresh eyes. But, you know that! :) You caught that pointed ear, after all. Maybe that's the bit of devil in him.

I happened to see it as I was cleaning up last night. I think I got it corrected. I am pleased with it, and think they will be too. I think there's a strong resemblence in shapes and coloring. I signed it, and am now working on my daughter. The portrait is that in the photo. She needs to be finished and drying PDQ, so they can be mailed by end of November at the latest. I guess I should have used all fast drying paints.
Thanks for your support and sweet words.
Ella