PDA

View Full Version : Autumn leaf

samben84
10-24-2012, 06:01 PM
My first oil pastel sketch. We picked up this leaf the other day while walking to the post office. I really don't have much idea what I'm doing here. I don't know how to get rid of all those white specs. Also, is there a trick to getting clean edges or do I just need to slow down and take my time? Any ideas or C&C welcome. I know I didn't add a shadow, but I'm not sure that it's not just floating in mid air, falling from the tree. On copy paper with Daler Rowney ops. I used 8 or 9 different colors. For scale, the reference leaf is about 1.75" wide.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Oct-2012/23870-DSCF6242wc.JPG

RWSewell
10-24-2012, 06:10 PM
For a first color sketch I think it's very good. I would have even added a touch of purple/violet to give the warm color a little extra punch. As far as the flecks of white, same thing happens with me and colored pencils. 100% color saturation takes lots of layers. I would think a blending stump would help you push the pastel into the grain of the paper, giving a smoother appearance.

:) Rob

CarlyHardy
10-24-2012, 11:36 PM
Agree with Rob...for a first, it's quite good. The white specks just need more layers and then somes soft blending. If the paper is very rough, edges can be difficult to keep sharp because the tooth will grab the oil pastel. You might try sharpening the oil pastel and working along the line first. Or you can use a colored pencil and do an outline...then work along the line.

samben84
10-25-2012, 03:17 PM
Here it is again. I added more yellow, red and a light pinky purple (my pastels have no color names on them) as per Rob's suggestion. I also did a bit more scrubbing with the purple and red to get rid of a bit of the white flecks and rescraped out some of the main veins. I also tried to clean up the edges a bit, but it doesn't look a whole lot better. Anyhow, I like the pastels and it was fun playing with them.

Carly, I'm using plain copy paper, so I can't blame it on rough paper - it's all me.:rolleyes:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Oct-2012/23870-DSCF6247wc.JPG

Pat Isaac
10-25-2012, 05:01 PM
Really nice first color sketch, Sandy and I like your use of sgraffito. The paper stumps and a tool called a clay shaper really help get rid of the white dots, also blending with your finger which I do a lot. These tools also help with edges.

Pat

samben84
10-25-2012, 06:30 PM
Thanks, Pat! I know what a paper stump is and I use my finger a bit, also, but I'm not sure what a clay shaper is. I think I'll google it.

I found it. Hmmm, interesting...

PaulsArt
10-26-2012, 12:20 AM
Looks real nice for a first sketch. You can also lay down more of the background color against the edges to re-shape them. White in this case, although I think that is the paper color. Erasers can work to push color around too, and razor blades.

adamsaso
10-26-2012, 07:02 AM
I love autum colors, try some rolled paper or tortillion to make edges sharp and it will be perfect.

I think I made similar painting with OP one year ago and it should be on this forum... i remember it as a lot of fun to play with colors.

samben84
10-26-2012, 11:58 AM
Thank you for all the ideas. I'll probably play around with it a bit more to try to clean it up a bit.

Flycatcher10
10-26-2012, 02:58 PM
Your leafs are really well done! First, no way - shows well. I like the colors used and you blended real nice. I like the flow of lines with your design.

samben84
10-26-2012, 03:20 PM
Thank you, Mary!