PDA

View Full Version : More dogs ...

Frostie
10-24-2012, 10:24 AM
Hi.
Here are pictures of my next couple of commissions of dogs that I have completed in the last couple of months.
Sennelier and Neopastels on Canson Mi-Teintes
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Oct-2012/99499-Jemweb.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Oct-2012/99499-hiccupweb.jpg
Just looking for a bit of advice - I'm taking some pieces (squirrels, stoats, etc) to a craft fair I'm doing on Sunday - I will post pics once I have finished them completely. They are all on Canson Mi-Teintes. Has anyone any ideas how I can display them? - at the moment I can't afford to get them framed. I have bought big pieces of mountboard and was going to pin them to that. They if anyone buys them I was going to wrap them in paper with a piece of ordinary card to keep them straight. Has anyone any ideas - I feel so unprofessional - I know in the future I will be a bit more organised and will have been able to have them mounted on board at the very least.
Thanks
Helen

CarlyHardy
10-24-2012, 11:45 PM
Could you use a couple of wires and clothespin them to it? Or use small straight pins to anchor them. I've done that before and it looks ok. Is the mountboard black? if you can paint it, your work will show up nicely against a dark background.

Both of these are great! Love the way the eyes are so luminous. I'm sure when buyers see your work, you'll get a lot more commissions!

DLT
10-25-2012, 01:55 AM
I use cardboard for backing and wax paper on top to ship. If you go with the board .. Use thumbtacks but don't poke a hole in your art. Place pin beside art so that the edge of the head secures the paper.

Frostie
10-25-2012, 03:35 AM
Carly and Donna, thank you so much for your comments and suggestions.
Carly - Wires and clothes pegs are a good idea - gives me more options.
Donna - good job you said. Yes, I would have gone straight ahead and poked in holes!
Helen

Pat Isaac
10-25-2012, 05:09 PM
Wonderful expression on those dogs. The eyes have it. Is it possible to get some ready cut white mats? Then you could stand them up in a box or basket with a piece of wax paper between them.

Pat

PaulsArt
10-26-2012, 12:06 AM
Pre-cut mats are what I was thinking too. Tape the top edge of the paper to the mat, but not the side or bottom. That allows the paper to breathe and not wrinkle. Often people put works on paper in a mat and then stuff it in clear plastic envelope.

Lovely doggie portrait there!

Flycatcher10
10-26-2012, 03:02 PM
Beautiful work Helen. I really like the softness of the fur, color achieved, but the wonderful textures have sold me. Agree with Pat, the eyes are fantastic.

Frostie
11-08-2012, 04:13 AM
Pat, Paul and Mary, Thank you so much for your lovely comments. In the end a local framers made me some card mats. They made my display look really smart.
Didn't sell any of my wildlife pictures but hopefully got some commissions on their way. Also a lady from a local newspaper took my picture and they are doing a small story on me this week. Also was asked to do a demonstration for a local art club. Sadly I'm going to have the art demo down because currently I don't think I've got enough confidence to do it justice. But maybe I can think about this for the future. So it ended up being quite a productive day.
Helen

Pat Isaac
11-08-2012, 08:42 AM
All of that is just great news, Helen. Do think about the demo...they are fun and you would be promoting OPS.

Pat

stee71
11-08-2012, 01:10 PM
Great characters here Helen.
Like Pat I think you should consider the Demo. they wouldn't necessarily expect a completed painting there and then while they watched, you could show how to achieve various effects with OPs. You obviously love doing animals and so could have a reference painting that you have already completed and show in the demo how you created the fur texture and how OP's are great for those soulful animal eyes, most people think of oil pastels as wax crayons so I think they would be enthralled to see what you can do with them.

Frostie
11-26-2012, 08:15 AM
Pat and Steve, thank you so much for your comments. Still trying to make my mind up about the demo ....

sundiver
11-27-2012, 09:28 PM
Beautiful textures and expression in those portraits!
Last time I was in a demo it was a group thing in the street. I realized after a couple of hours of sweating over a plein air of a sidewalk cafe that only one other artist was painting what was in front of her. The others were working from photos and painting subjects they had done previously. In fact I went into the gallery that was sponsoring the demo and there was a painting exactly like the one that artist was painting in the street. No wonder she was so confident!
That was my long-winded way of suggesting you do a demo of something you have done before so you will feel more comfortable. You could also have it already started before you get there, like some of the artists in the aforementioned street demo.

CarlyHardy
11-27-2012, 10:37 PM
Great suggestions from Wendy. Remember, when doing a demo, only you know the extent of your expertise and knowledge. Anything you say or do will wow the audience.

Your work is beautiful and if all you did was a demonstration of how to get that soulful look in a dog's eyes, the audience would love it!

And last but not least, if they ask a question you can't answer, just say. "I don't have an answer for you but if you'll leave your email for me, I'll check it out and let you know" I've often said that at a demonstration and no one minds that I don't know it all :)

Frostie
12-06-2012, 04:05 AM
Wendy and Carly, thank you so much for all the great advice. It's really appreciated.
Helen