PDA

View Full Version : Lynton from cliff path

arnieb
10-21-2012, 08:19 AM
Going to put a figure on the path as the COI looking back to fit in with narrative along the lines:
‘Looking back from a distance as the mist clears everything becomes clearer.’
Oil on Canvas 30x20
Any comments appreciated. Thanks Arnie.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Oct-2012/192075-mini-LyntonFromPath-02.JPG

Andrewcody
10-23-2012, 11:16 PM
I think this is quite good Arnie, very soft and believable.
Not sure I would put a figure into the landscape
Regards
Andrew

crafor
10-24-2012, 12:34 AM
It is very nice. I don't think a figure would help it, either.
Ella

arnieb
10-24-2012, 03:53 AM
Thanks Andrew and Ella. Since I first posted I've added a figure but havnt got a photo yet. Hopefully will be able to get one later. Arnie

Andrewcody
10-24-2012, 06:53 PM
Look forward to seeing it

Andrew

Round
10-24-2012, 08:15 PM
Hi Arnie
I really like the viewpoint you've created in this work and your painting of the green hillside slopes is quite lovely.

I actually think including a figure looking back would provide an interesting contrast to the vastness of the land/seascape.

Cheers
Round

rossmarie
10-28-2012, 05:05 PM
This is coming along great, Arnie!

May I offer four suggestions?

1. the middle distance cliffs don't look quite right. They appear to "sit" on the water rather than disappear into it. Possibly the water is too light blue immediately adjacent to the cliff?

2. I think the estuary sand is a bit too "naples yellow" and could be toned down a bit.

3. While I like the misty background hill, I feel you could introduce just a hint of muted green - it just looks a tad lacking in any real colour anywhere in the distance.

4. Sharpen up the nearer cliff edge running diagonally down to the little group of rocks. Also define the edges of those rocks and the bottom of the cliff face against the water (looks a bit "fuzzy")

Agree a figure on the path could add to the sense of scale.

Looking forward to seeing the finished article.

Mike:thumbsup:

Debzy
10-29-2012, 08:11 AM
Hi Arnie! Another beautiful scene from you! I love this viewpoint, it is very interesting. I can only wish to go there one day and visit all these wonderful places you are posting. I agree with all that Mike has suggested, and feel that a tad more of warm colour would add interest. I think a figure would work well also if it were in the right place. Looking forward to seeing the next step Arnie! Beautiful so far. Cheers =)) Debs.

arnieb
10-30-2012, 12:35 PM
Thanks Andrew, Round, Mike and Debs. Will be working on the cliffs and fg next, and will take onboard your suggestions.
The only thing that has changed in this post is the figure. Hope you like him:crossfingers: Arnie
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Oct-2012/192075-mini-LyntonFromPath-03.JPG

crafor
10-30-2012, 04:55 PM
That's a lot of vastness. I wonder where he came from.
A suggestion (that the figure actually called my attention to): The dark line going across the undulating hills, should it not also undulate--here higher, on the next hill, lower, etc, rather than a straight unbroken line?The figure makes the scene more interesting.
Ella

Andrewcody
10-31-2012, 07:31 PM
I take it back, the figure does add to the overall picture.
I wonder what he is contemplating

Regards
Andrew

Round
11-01-2012, 02:43 AM
Hi Arnie

Yes, I do like the inclusion of the figure.

I'd be inclined to give his shirt/jacket a little back lighting, because as he is so small and turning side on, the dark top and trouser leg make him look a bit like a stick figure.

Cheers
Round

rossmarie
11-03-2012, 05:47 PM
Arnie - tend to agree with Round. Actually, I rather like the idea of a backpacker in shorts plus boots toiling up the path towards you. How about that?

Mike

arnieb
11-04-2012, 11:09 AM
Thanks for your comments - glad you like him - yet to work on figure in this post.
The idea is that hes just come from Lynmouth and has turned back to look. Last picture featured toil - this one is more about release.
Having problems with the light now the hour has gone fwd - blue is way too strong in this photo. Arnie.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Nov-2012/192075-mini-LyntonFromPath-05.JPG

Round
11-04-2012, 08:59 PM
Hi Arnie
Really like what you've done with the sandy beach and the water where it meets the land mass. Nicely connected!
Cheers
Round

rossmarie
11-05-2012, 12:42 PM
Arnie - I agree with Round's comments - cliff, sea and estuary sand now look much better. Going back to crafor's comments - I think she is right - that long hedgeline would look better if there was a "disconnect" where it continues on the more distant slope ie. put the hedgeline up a bit further away. Then I think you get a better sense of there being two separate hill slopes. Hope this makes sense to you!

Anyway, I think the finished work is going to look great.

Mike:thumbsup:

arnieb
11-06-2012, 03:25 AM
Thanks Round and Mike. Giving it a chance to dry before finishing it off - this will include fixing the road as Ella suggested, and adding few digitalis in the foreground. Arnie

arnieb
12-01-2012, 10:57 AM
Updates to road and here and there. Wife thinks figure is too thin?
May add a few subtle wave crests, otherwise this is just about done now. Arnie
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Dec-2012/192075-mini-LyntonFromPath-06.JPG

rossmarie
12-04-2012, 03:20 PM
I think your wife is right, Arnie.

Mike

arnieb
12-05-2012, 03:34 AM
Yes I should have listened earlier. Have posted in OPen critique with man she is OK with. Arnie

Andrewcody
12-05-2012, 07:23 PM
I don't know...if that figure is walking this path regularly I think he is about the right proportions
I need to walk that path myself :)

Regards
Andrew

arnieb
12-06-2012, 09:22 AM
Thanks Andrew. We had a great day out.
Walked up and down along the path sometimes thru trees till lunch, and then back across the fields and down to Watersmeet - for afternoon tea on table by the river, and then back along the river to Lynmouth.
Got a collection of photos to do other painting from when time allows. Arnie