PDA

View Full Version : Red sables for acrylics?

mirizar
10-19-2012, 08:42 PM
Hi! I own a set of red sable brushes from Trekell and I was wondering if I could use them for acrylics instead.

jocko500
02-07-2013, 10:10 PM
use what ever works for you. I paint in acrylics also but did paint one oil. I like acrylics so i use the oil brushes also in acrylic paint. why waste a paint brush.

wal_t
02-14-2013, 11:16 AM
I think it's a waste of your sable brushes as acrylic paint tends to stick to the brush (except when you use it very watery or with lots of medium). Somewhat thicker acrylic paint is much better handled with Synthetic or hog hair brushes in my opinion. Walter

JamieWG
04-23-2013, 08:21 PM
I've used sables with Golden Open, since it is so slow drying that it can be washed out of the brushes completely; but I don't think I'd dare to use sables with traditional acrylics!

Pastelist*
06-05-2013, 11:09 PM
No, they wouldn't work at all because they get just totally wimpy in water and although they work well with watercolor they don't work well with acrylic. Of course if you thin it to the point where it IS like watercolor you could use them for washes, etc. But, what's the point? Synthetic brushes are better to use, cheaper by far and last a long time. Red sables break off when used with thick media like acrylic.