PDA

View Full Version : My first post

Barnimal
09-01-2003, 03:36 PM
This is an acrylic on canvas 16" X 20". I had to make 3 passes with the scanner and join them, then resize and the results aren't as good as I would have liked. A referance photo was used. I would like some good constructive critique.

Lady Carol
09-01-2003, 10:20 PM
I am not a portrait painter so I am probably not the best for a "good constructive critique." Others will be able to give you that.

This makes for a very nice under painting. You have captured the essence of the child very well and the subject matter is charming.

CarlyHardy
09-02-2003, 12:14 AM
Welcome to the Acrylics forum!!

The rendering is really good...even with the scan patches! You might check the right leg on the child...it seems a bit high? His fingers should be more rounded...not so pointy.

The background is a bit splotchy and grabs attention away from your subject.

I agree about this looking more like an underpainting...where are the rosy cheeks and glowing skin of a child in the sun? A toy in the water would tell more of the story...I just can't imagine a child sitting there without a rubber duck!

Hope you won't think I'm too tough on you!

carly

Barnimal
09-02-2003, 07:44 AM
This is just the feedback I need so can get this finished..THANKS
:):)

shirleyq
09-02-2003, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by CHClements
Welcome to the Acrylics forum!!

The rendering is really good...even with the scan patches! You might check the right leg on the child...it seems a bit high? His fingers should be more rounded...not so pointy.

The background is a bit splotchy and grabs attention away from your subject.

I agree about this looking more like an underpainting...where are the rosy cheeks and glowing skin of a child in the sun? A toy in the water would tell more of the story...I just can't imagine a child sitting there without a rubber duck!

Hope you won't think I'm too tough on you!

carly

Carly is right on.
In addition, I would say that when you repaint the background that you bring your paint all the way into the child so that you do not get a 'halo' effect..............I have used yellows and purples in children's skin. The yellows brighten up the complexion particularly where light might hit it and the purples because a child's skin in very thin and blood vessels are close to the surface.:) I think you have done a very good job on the proportions generally:) .............think where the joints and large muscles are and that will help with shadows and highlights:) :)
Be sure to post the results!!!:) :) This obviously is not your first painting.:)

ChasII
09-02-2003, 03:00 PM
I like the way you've captured the 'I'm in my own little world' mood of a child, and also a child's 'bendy' hands.

If the top of the child's right leg were more in line with the existing line of the top of the left leg, it would balance better.

I think the solid blue background may 'throw' the child forward too much, and the strength of the white muted background balances with the strength of colour on the child, but the background would look better all one single soft colour, without the 'halo' effect.

It's good though. It's captured the essence of a child just as it is.

Chas