PDA

View Full Version : Woman

DebbieO
10-18-2012, 12:21 AM
I suck at naming :) And I don't like names to say too much.

18x24 Canvas board. I've just finished the acrylic underpainting. I am undecided if I want to stay with acrylic, or go with oil or oil pastel. I want some gritty texture because I think it might tend to be too soft for what I want.

I think I'll have to be careful with the tuft of fabric under the nose. I might have to take it out.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Oct-2012/1121592-IMG_3297.JPG

Andrewcody
10-18-2012, 05:12 PM
Looks ok so far DebbieO
Andrew

levanty
10-19-2012, 08:56 AM
I think that it's a very good start Deb. I see what you mean about the nose. Keep it up.

arnieb
10-21-2012, 08:32 AM
Yes great start - if you put your finger over the end of her nose to hide the problem you refere too she really jumps out.
Suggest you check overall pose - the foot/leg/thigh looks slightly misaligned. Arnie

DebbieO
10-23-2012, 08:38 PM
I have attempted to thank you all for the comments many times in the past few days :D

Arnie I can see there is something funny with the foot I am still trying to get it right! I've gone over this a few different times (I could post some of the stages but they're not pretty!)

Here is where she's currently at--still needs some care with the foot. The elbow crease is too small too. Still lots more to be done!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Oct-2012/1121592-IMG_3343_sm.jpg

Andrewcody
10-24-2012, 07:01 PM
Examine an ankle and heel of someone, and you will see that a change is needed, the foot does look short but I think the thickness of the ankle and the shape being corrected would make the size less noticeable.
There is a significant change in facial expression, the first was quite sensual and this last is a more concerned look, quite good.
I like it

Regards
Andrew

La_
10-25-2012, 12:10 AM
watch viewers left, knee to hip angle, is the thigh bone lining up to where it needs to land?

liking it overall, looking forward to updates, her hair is fantastic

la

DebbieO
10-26-2012, 03:27 AM
Examine an ankle and heel of someone, and you will see that a change is needed, the foot does look short but I think the thickness of the ankle and the shape being corrected would make the size less noticeable.
There is a significant change in facial expression, the first was quite sensual and this last is a more concerned look, quite good.
I like it

Regards
Andrew

Thank you Andrew. I am still not happy with the foot but I think it's better. I narrowed the ankle and tried to curve the shin a bit to give more shape. I think part of the problem is my model :) I have massive calves and tiny feet.

I wasn't happy with the sensual look of the original underpainting and it took a few iterations to get away from that without being ghoulish. I still think it might be a bit more glamourous than I was after but I'm glad to hear you get the seriousness.

watch viewers left, knee to hip angle, is the thigh bone lining up to where it needs to land?

liking it overall, looking forward to updates, her hair is fantastic

la

Thanks La. I adjusted the shading in the knee crease hoping to point the knee in the right direction, I hope that helps!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Oct-2012/1121592-IMG_3406.JPG

I just got to here and haven't had time to look at it yet. I was quite unsure about where I was going with the palette because I had bright red and ochre in the background and I was getting kind of attached to it. I was worried however that the background needed to be more subdued and darkened. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

At this point I *think* I'm happy with it other than fixing the foot a bit. That might change in the morning :o

Now I need a name...

I am warmed and chilled by this line from a Scottish poem: "but my paradise is lost somewhere in Glasgow" But I don't know if I want to explain what that means to me so I might not go with that.

DebbieO
10-27-2012, 03:31 AM
Am I done? Fixed the ankle I think.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Oct-2012/1121592-IMG_3412.JPG

song_bird
10-28-2012, 08:43 AM
I think you need to continue modeling the foot and ankle. It's distracting from your good and interesting painting. Upper arm also looks distorted. The area beneath the knee looks a bit flat in shape, imo, though does not stand out like the other two areas.

Foot detail:

http://www.physiostuff.com/repository/product/user/img_img_9781587796869_Foot_Ankle_Anatomical_Chart.jpg

DebbieO
10-28-2012, 04:05 PM
I think you need to continue modeling the foot and ankle. It's distracting from your good and interesting painting. Upper arm also looks distorted. The area beneath the knee looks a bit flat in shape, imo, though does not stand out like the other two areas.

Foot detail:

http://www.physiostuff.com/repository/product/user/img_img_9781587796869_Foot_Ankle_Anatomical_Chart.jpg

Thank you for that! I was just about to mount it and I wouldn't have been able to touch it again. I see a couple of corrections I might be able to do. I've now got oil pastel over much of the painting so that adds some challenges.

I might x-post in the figure forum before I call it finished.

song_bird
10-28-2012, 08:10 PM
You know, I just noticed, pulling this up again. The top part of her foot that looks so thick seems to have started off as part of the cloth and then turned to flesh! Looks like that might be what has thrown it off there.

Debzy
10-29-2012, 08:27 AM
Debbie, I think you have done a wonderful job on this! I love your textures and colours, very dramatic and alive! I am not a good critique on figures, so I will leave it to the experts, but I really like what you have done here very much! Lovely work Deb! =)) Cheers Debs.

Andrewcody
11-01-2012, 09:18 PM
Hello again Debbie, so this is a self portrait?
I am not familiar with the poem, and I am Scottish originally but it escapes me.
The ankle has improved, there should also be more hip on the subjects left as this is the weight bearing side, but that does not detract from the rest which is really good. I love how you have been bold and scratched back into the paint, you never did say if you persisted with Acrylic or switched to Oil?
Regards
Andrew

DebbieO
11-16-2012, 03:46 AM
Thanks Song_bird and Debs!

Andrew, sort of...I used myself as a model but I wasn't going to fess up that it was a self portrait. I went with oil pastel over the acrylic, except for the figure which I left just acrylic.

I think this is the last picture I took:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Nov-2012/1121592-IMG_3427.JPG

I put it in a show with a few other pieces but I don't think it was very well received. I think people were put off by the serious look and thought it was creepy :D I'm ok with that because I wasn't intending for a glamour shot.

Andrewcody
11-16-2012, 09:24 PM
Some people !!!! :) just have no taste :)
Well at least you did show it, so that is a big big plus. Well done
Regards
Andrew