PDA

View Full Version : Mist on the Moors

Flycatcher10
10-17-2012, 03:35 PM
Oil Pastels
11 x 14: gessoed hardboard

Underpainting completed with soft pastels and an alcohol wash.

Reference image was from Steve Lyddon of pmp. I have planned two additional (maybe three) more paintings from this scene.

All feedback and comments are welcomed. Thanks, Mary
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Oct-2012/974094-Mist_on_the_Moors_.jpg

Sandra39
10-17-2012, 04:06 PM
Mary- Here is your cool against warm again. I really do like this painting a lot. Love the clear water that reflects the sky and the mist in the far background is lovely. Very pleasant looking. Well done.

Sandi C.

CarlyHardy
10-17-2012, 10:37 PM
Mary, you really do pick some great references to work from. My one observation is that the tree and the road are right in the middle of the composition. You could have cropped from the left side of the image so that the tree and road were in the left third of your composition giving a stronger view of that wonderful mist off to the right of the tree.

Great blending in the sky and nice reflection in the water.

Thanks for sharing!c

SAI70
10-18-2012, 04:12 AM
Love it Mary :thumbsup: , awesome one. I like the texture of the greens.

Flycatcher10
10-18-2012, 09:42 AM
Hi Everyone!

Hi Sandra: Thank you so much for commenting. This entire painting was a stretch for me, but I enjoyed the challenges it provided.

Hi Carly: Thanks for your feedback, appreciate it! You are so right about centering the tree and road, cropping and moving it to the left third, would make a difference. On my next version I will try out your suggestion and see where the painting leads me.

Hi Sherif: So nice to hear from you! Thanks for commenting on the texture of the greens - I was trying to be patient and letting the layers of OPs rest in between the heavy layers I applyied. Thank you for your feedback!

halthepainter
10-18-2012, 10:54 AM
Hi Mary lovely piece of work. I agree with Carly's observations. If you were copying the reference photo slavishly, don't forget that the artist is a god (small g) and you change your world to suit yourself.

Your colors are wonderful.

Flycatcher10
10-18-2012, 03:47 PM
Hi Hal: Thank you so much for your comments and feedback. Appreciate it and will look to incorporate these important aspects in my next version.

Thank you!!

Pat Isaac
10-18-2012, 06:12 PM
Beautiful colors and start of mist, but I also agree with Carly..

Pat

Flycatcher10
10-19-2012, 08:43 AM
Hi Pat: Thanks for your nice comments, always appreciate your thoughts.

Guess it's settled then, the image on my next version will be adjusted as was suggested.

PaulsArt
10-19-2012, 05:53 PM
Very nice Mary. I have to admit the feature straight up the middle looks more like a small stream to me than it does a road. The blue reflections seem to be sky reflected in water. Am I way off the mark?

talinka
10-22-2012, 03:24 AM
beautiful. I love the painting, and I also agree with Carly

Flycatcher10
10-24-2012, 09:00 AM
Very nice Mary. I have to admit the feature straight up the middle looks more like a small stream to me than it does a road. The blue reflections seem to be sky reflected in water. Am I way off the mark?

Hi Paul: Thanks for the comment, appreciate it.

Actually you're correct, the image of the moor has a stream or waterway that runs straight up the middle of the painting and what you see is the blue sky being reflected in the water. You're not off the mark - thanks for reviewing the painting.

I agree with the others, in that in another painting of this same image I'd probably move the center trees over to the left and down a bit so they aren't directly in the center of the scene.

There isn't a road in the painting, as others have suggested. Thanks again, Mary

Flycatcher10
10-24-2012, 09:01 AM
Hi Tali: Thanks for commenting.

PaulsArt
10-26-2012, 12:13 AM
Hi Paul: Thanks for the comment, appreciate it.

Actually you're correct, the image of the moor has a stream or waterway that runs straight up the middle of the painting and what you see is the blue sky being reflected in the water. You're not off the mark - thanks for reviewing the painting.

I agree with the others, in that in another painting of this same image I'd probably move the center trees over to the left and down a bit so they aren't directly in the center of the scene.

There isn't a road in the painting, as others have suggested. Thanks again, Mary

Whew, what a relief! I was right! I need to write this day down in my diary. :) I do like the mist effect you have in the background Mary. It works really well.