PDA

View Full Version : Organizing pastels

Shari
01-28-2001, 08:32 PM
Does anyone have ideas about how to organize boxes of pastels. I have some of a few different brands. Should I put them all together, keep brands separate or what? What kind of container could you recommend that doesn't cost a fortune. Any help is appreciated.

Shari

Roan
01-28-2001, 09:03 PM
There's a ton of ways to do this. Some prefer not to organize their pastels at all but keep them all in a can of rice flour and just root for colors. I think that's a great method, but I'm too anal for that. Sigh :P

I use a total of 6 different brands that range from .38 to .55" in diameter (Rowney and Sennelier to Schmincke and Unison). Because I prefer to arrange mine by color, I'm currently using 2 three-drawer and 3 two-drawer wooden pastel cabinets to store them in.

They are arranged by color family -- for instance, once of my drawers starts with burnt umbers and then goes into the other warm colors in that range, gold ochres, brown ochres, etc., the next drawer holds the raw umbers and moves on to the rest of the cool colors. After color, I have them usually arranged by brand, however my favorite tints and shades take precedence and I keep them at the front of each group.

The pastel cabinets aren't that pricey (to me). The three-drawer ones are about $25 on sale and they hold about 72 pastels in each drawer (depending on the size) for a total of about 216. Unison and Schimcke pastels *just* barely fit in the drawers. I have to be careful when I close them :P I wish they made these just a little bit deeper.

I really like having the ability to look at my piece and thinking, "okay, warm brown animal", and pulling out my warm brown colors and putting them on my desk :P

That's just one method, and I'm sure interested in hearing what systems others here use, too!

------------------
<FONT face="Script MT Bold"><FONT COLOR="#AB4835"><FONT size="5">Roan</FONT s></FONT c></FONT f>
<FONT COLOR="#8A1010">Nan danadh mo lmh mar a dh'iarradh mo shil!</FONT c>
-- <FONT size="1">If my hand could do as my eye would desire!</FONT s>
RoanStudio.com (http://RoanStudio.com) &lt;-- pastel open stock vendor sources & reviews!

Shari
01-28-2001, 11:01 PM
Thanks for the ideas, that sounds reasonably priced. Do you line the drawers with foam or anything, or just let the pastels all touch each other? You can tell I like things organized but I don't want to spend all my time organizing, just want to do it right the first time. Just out of curiosity, how many pastels do you have? I spent a small fortune getting started, did a couple pictures and I feel like I could already add to my collection.

Shari

Roan
01-28-2001, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by Shari:

Thanks for the ideas, that sounds reasonably priced. Do you line the drawers with foam or anything, or just let the pastels all touch each other?

I line the bottoms of each with thin chamois, nothing between them. I haven't had any problems doing this and because I have them arranged by color, if some of the color rubs off on another it's not really a big deal.

You can tell I like things organized but I don't want to spend all my time organizing, just want to do it right the first time. Just out of curiosity, how many pastels do you have? I spent a small fortune getting started, did a couple pictures and I feel like I could already add to my collection.
Shari

I like things organized too! hrm, how many, one sec. . . about 500, give or take a few, and sans duplicates and spares. Bear in mind that I've been accumulating since November of 1999, that's when I started painting. My first "set" was a cheapo 24 set of "chalk" pastels. My daughter uses those now :P

I'm rather lucky, as well, because my husband loves my art and constantly badgers me to buy whatever pastels or supplies I want. I just bought a box of 18 Unison to try out -- he talked me into it. $60! I'm the type of person that does comparison shopping for a week on the web before I'll order a set of Crayola paints for my daughter. Paying $60 for 18 pastels, I'm still cringing! Hubby has a great influence on me that way -- then again, he might have been so adamant I buy them because he slipped a $10 pen into the shopping basket at Pearl when I wasn't looking :P

Hope this helps and I'm glad to see someone else delving into the world of pastels http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
<FONT face="Script MT Bold"><FONT COLOR="#AB4835"><FONT size="5">Roan</FONT s></FONT c></FONT f>
<FONT COLOR="#8A1010">Nan danadh mo lmh mar a dh'iarradh mo shil!</FONT c>
-- <FONT size="1">If my hand could do as my eye would desire!</FONT s>
RoanStudio.com (http://RoanStudio.com) &lt;-- pastel open stock vendor sources & reviews!

Shari
01-29-2001, 02:13 AM
You are lucky; my husband supports my art, but not spending the money for it. We aren't rich, so of course he wants me to go slow with my buying, but in my enthusiasm for new things, I tend to get carried away! I can see how dangerous it would be for me to live near a large art supply store. I have to order everything on the web; the only thing we have nearby is Rembrandts and they are much more expensive in the store. Your replies are very helpful. Thanks so much.

Shari