PDA

View Full Version : artist to artist

Pilan
08-31-2003, 07:38 PM
i purchased a book called artist to artist, inspiration and advice from artists past and present.

Picasso on copying and imitation.
( Success is dangerous. One begins to copy oneself, and to copy oneself is more dangerous than to copy others. It leads to sterility. )

Does this remind you of any present day artist?

Tamana
08-31-2003, 08:05 PM
Thomas Kincaid.

I don't know why I said that. Sounds like a good book to read.

luxj
09-01-2003, 01:05 PM
Hi pilan, sounds like an interesting book. Would you give me more info in the book who wrote it? where did you buy it?
I been trying to search by the title and can't find it.

Deborah Secor
09-01-2003, 03:56 PM
I'm overexposed to RC Gorman--who drew some incredibly beautiful things when young but has relied on his own cliche ever since.

Who said, "I don't borrow, I steal"? (meaning ideas) I've always remembered that one and thought it was more than just clever. We all feed off of the ideas and imspiration of those who have come before us, the question becomes do we do it better? Or is it only derivative?

A respected gallery owner here in Santa Fe once remarked that if you took all of the art made by an artist and burned it as soon as it was finished, he or she would stop making art altogether. I think maybe it's true.

DanaT
09-02-2003, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by dee_artist

A respected gallery owner here in Santa Fe once remarked that if you took all of the art made by an artist and burned it as soon as it was finished, he or she would stop making art altogether. I think maybe it's true.

I don't quite understand what she meant dee. Can you explain?

Deborah Secor
09-02-2003, 02:34 PM
Dana, I took it to mean that if we don't communicate our ideas visually we wither and die. Painting is communication, without it we simply turn inward. I think that may be what Picasso meant by 'sterility', only he was talking about repeating past glories and not moving on--which may be just about the same thing in the long run. If what you communicate is old and sterile you really are just saying the same thing over and over, so who listens? You may as well burn every canvas as simply keep repeating yourself, IMHO.

We all have to learn skills and repetition is part of it, but when our successes are predicated only on what we already know, we aren't growing. Growing means taking risks, standing at the edge of the cliff and stepping off (something I see people do every day here at WC). Usually you find out it was only a curb, not a cliff, but you never know.

I seem to be rambling. Think I'll go paint now...
;)

Pilan
09-02-2003, 05:09 PM
Tamana, Piscasso must have saw sterility in art. I just wonder who he was speaking of in his days. Funny how his statement brings up images in my mind of cottages over and over and over. How boring. I suppose this could be sterility. Yes, Thomas Kincaid.

Originally posted by Tamana
Thomas Kincaid.

I don't know why I said that. Sounds like a good book to read.

Pilan
09-02-2003, 05:24 PM
Jessica, it is an interesting book.

It's been compiled by Clint Brown and its called Artist to Artist. ISBN # 0-943097-04-5 14.95.

amazon.com should have it.

I purchased my copy at Borders for 14.95.

Pilan

Originally posted by luxj
Hi pilan, sounds like an interesting book. Would you give me more info in the book who wrote it? where did you buy it?
I been trying to search by the title and can't find it.

Tamana
09-02-2003, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Pilan
Tamana, Piscasso must have saw sterility in art. I just wonder who he was speaking of in his days. Funny how his statement brings up images in my mind of cottages over and over and over. How boring. I suppose this could be sterility. Yes, Thomas Kincaid.

Oh and flowers and flowers and flowers and clusters and flowers....

Pilan
09-02-2003, 11:54 PM
and all those glowing little street lamps

Tamana
09-02-2003, 11:59 PM
yes, rocks. Rock fences rock bridges rock roads rock mailboxes rock cottages rocks and rocks and rocks...