PDA

View Full Version : Daily Scumble 31 August 2003

E-J
08-31-2003, 10:19 AM
Blimey (that was for Deborah) ... It's the last day of August already :eek:

Trying to log on to WC on Saturday morning and finding it down for maintenance was like waking up on a planet with no oxygen!!! I had to find other ways to amuse myself for a change ... played with my acrylics for the 'purple + yellow complementaries' project and to try out a new matt medium I'd bought but wasn't too successful ... I dunno ... wet paint is very seductive but it seems so unmanageable after pastels!

My "WetCanvas artist" badge arrived yesterday (thanks Janet) and all day I wore it with pride, waiting for people to notice and comment. They didn't! Ah well :rolleyes: :D Looking forward to the day I spy someone else wearing one.

Today I got a haircut I really like ... and a book, "Painting the Impressionist Landscape" by Lois Griffel ... and now I might just slink off and do some pastelling :)

Madder
08-31-2003, 02:41 PM
Wot, no replies yet? I'll add some garble..
Weekends are for my kiddies, so no time to paint. The hot weather has left us and today was one of those rainy sundays. Highlight was going to the car wash :) Checked in yesterday and site was down, hyperventilating..... :)
Talking about books, I got master strokes by Hazel Harrison and really like this (and I have a LOT of books already) She focuses on some great classics, turner, constable, degas etc, analyses a particular painting of them, then shows how to get similar effects in a modern day demo. It really told me some things that were new to me and it is inspiring. I can recommend it.
Busy work week ahead, but still hope i can find time to do some exercises. Enjoy your week everyone, make it count, in any way you can!

Dark_Shades
08-31-2003, 02:49 PM
ohhhh I never saw this :eek:

... so come EJ.... supply photo of new hair cut then :) ... well Im fed up..... spend all today trying to do another portrait of Diana to please Mo, and failed miserably.... so slung it in the bin in disgust!!!
...... going off to sulk now :mad: :p

Deborah Secor
08-31-2003, 02:57 PM
Being the curious sort I had to find out the derivation of this wrd. Found a great site called Enlish slang and colloquialisms of the UK, from which I gathered this:

Blimey! Exclam. An exclamation of surprise. An abbreviated form of blind me. Cf. 'cor blimey'.

cor blimey! Exclam. This mild exclamation of surprise is a corruption of the oath god blind me.

So, how accurate is it? I may have to refer to this site from time to time, just to be sure we are communicating! LOL
:rolleyes:

Dark_Shades
08-31-2003, 03:01 PM
Pretty good Dee lolol..... not sure about the 'god' bit though :)

.... is Cheeky in there

Deborah Secor
08-31-2003, 03:11 PM
<giggle> Here's what I found:

cheeky chappy Noun. Affectionate name for an attractively impudent person or animal, one who may make one readily smile.

cheeky monkey Noun. A light-hearted name for a verbally impertinent person.

And where I found all this:

http://www.peevish.co.uk/slang/index.htm

Dark_Shades
08-31-2003, 03:19 PM
Yup.......Im surprised it doesnt say Dawn/Dark_Shades beside them either lolol.... my tiny head is 'Cheeky Monkey'......

BeyondTheNineSquares
08-31-2003, 07:41 PM
I don't know if you all are as addicted to books as I am, but if you are you might have this one! It's sooooo cool. "How to Paint Trees Flowers, and Foliage" by Patricia Seligman. Best of all, I got it at an open air market in Charleston SC for all of $2.00! I don't even want to admit to myself how much I've spent for the tons and tons of art books on every possible subject/media/art history/you get the idea. Anyway, it's a keeper! (okay, they are all keepers. My books are all precious to me) Anyway, check it out! It addresses foreground, middle ground, distance, detail, color, contrast, you name it!

Hope you're all having a great weekend!