PDA

View Full Version : Book Review

KimE
12-02-2000, 07:33 PM
Hi Everyone,

How about a thread for book and video reviews? I thought I would start out with the book I received yesterday: Harley Brown's eternal truths for every artist. It's easy to see why Pastel Artist International magazine has chosen this book to be their first Book of the Month. I think this book is the most worthwhile I have yet bought on the subject of painting. It really isn't about pastel painting or how to handle the medium, although about 95% of the pictures and demos in the book are in pastel. The book is really about principles that apply to all mediums. He has a couple of demos that show all kinds of mistakes to avoid, along with the same picture done correctly. He includes all kinds of useful advice, and I don't think the word inspiring is too stong to describe the effect that the book has on me. I really love all the examples pictured. Most of them are of people but the princples apply to any kind of subject.

I give this book a 10. I'd like to see him do a book or even better, a video, on how to work in pastel because, although there are many step by step demonstrations, he seems to work in the puzzle piece manner that shows each section appearing pretty much completely finished, and I end up wondering how he got it that way.

I hope others will add reviews and comments about other books and videos. (and about this one, too)

Kim

aspiring artist
07-14-2007, 01:42 PM
Thank you for the book review, Kim! The "Harley Spiral" for portraiture is a fascinating angle that really captures my attention. Based on your review, I plan to purchase this book. Thanks again!

mrking
07-14-2007, 03:03 PM
I also have heard this book is great. I have been on the lookout for it but since it is out of print it cost a fortune $$$$$$.

If anyone wants to sell their copy, please PM me. :)

Mikki Petersen
07-14-2007, 04:31 PM
I also love the book! It was one of the first art books I purchased after returning to the arts. I love his humor and his practical thinking. The book is well written, easy to read and beautifully illustrated. And sorry, MRKing, I have a number of books I would let go but never this one. :angel:

I have to put in a vote for Margot Schulzke's "A Painter's Guide to Design and Composition". I admit to prejudice because I study with Margot but the book is almost a coffee table book of current artists along with wonderfully understandable explanations of composition theory.

I also think this is a great idea to have a book review column. Thanks for starting it.

Mikki

Swerman
07-14-2007, 11:42 PM
I have Harley Brown's eternal truths for every artist and his Confessions of a Starving Artist. They are fantastic. I find it hard to believe that Eternal Truths is out of print! Every pastelist should have a copy.

Mikki, I second your vote for Margot Schulzke's design book. It is excellent!!! Especially helpful are the multiple examples she uses from various artists. What you said about Harley's book can be said of her's, too - "well written, easy to read and beautifully illustrated".

-Sandy

KJSCL
07-14-2007, 11:43 PM
You're right Kim, it is an inspiring book. Harley's book is great as are his articles in the IA magazine. I've been on the look out for a reasonably priced second hand copy of his Starving Artist but no luck so far. :mad:

BTW, Harley does make occasional appearances here on WC and there is a thread over in the Creativity/Book Club forum on the Eternal Truths book
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348239

mrking
07-15-2007, 03:36 AM
All this talk about the book made me search again. I was able to find a 'new' copy online that was not over $100. Wow I thought.

So, the book is ordered and I should get it in 10 days or so!!!

Thanks for bringing this book back into my memory!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike

Snowbound
07-15-2007, 07:54 AM
Dakota Pastels has Eternal Truths for Every Artist listed on their website, new for $24.95:
http://www.dakotapastels.com/booksvid_books.shtml

My local indy bookstore has it at that price as well.

Dayle Ann

mrking
07-15-2007, 12:40 PM
Great find Snowbound!

Pat Isaac
07-15-2007, 06:16 PM
I have Harley's book also, just great. I really like the second version of The Creative Artist. It has a lot of good ideas for jump starting your creative process. I just love books so I have a hard time picking a favorite. I like to look at the processes and see how other artists work. The books are a great fount of ideas and stimulation.

Pat

eagle owl
07-16-2007, 05:27 AM
'Confessions' is available from International Artist in UK for £22.05. I couldn't believe the price and grabbed it when I was ordering 'Inspirations'. 'Eternal truths' is one of my fav books.

Not sure what US site has it for as UK site comes up for me but must be worth a look.

Carol

mrking
08-18-2007, 08:12 PM
I finally got this book a few days ago and have so far read it front to back twice now. Great stuff.

I decided to write a small review of it on my blog if anyone is interested.

http://artbymichaelking.com

Cheers,

Mike

Bringer
08-18-2007, 10:20 PM
Hi,

This book was at a great price at the International Artist magazine, but like said before it's out of print.
I regret that I haven't bought it.
In case you folks don't know, he launched or is about to launch a new book. It seems promissing.
I bought the «Painting Children in Pastel» for about 10 Euro I guess, also at the International Artist mag and now it costs over 100 bucks.

Kind regards,

José

mrking
08-18-2007, 11:04 PM
Hi,

This book was at a great price at the International Artist magazine, but like said before it's out of print.
I regret that I haven't bought it.
In case you folks don't know, he launched or is about to launch a new book. It seems promissing.
I bought the «Painting Children in Pastel» for about 10 Euro I guess, also at the International Artist mag and now it costs over 100 bucks.

Kind regards,

José

You can buy it for $24.95USD at Dakota Pastels.com now.

Do you have any info on this new book at all? Subject?

Bringer
08-19-2007, 12:26 AM
Hi,

Here's a link :http://www.international-artist.com/product.aspx?id=1037&ref=http://www.international-artist.com/products.aspx?type=1

Well, it seems that Dakota only works with UPS and I don't want anything to do with them (UPS). It might be cheaper to go to US and bring the book.

Kind regards,

José

mrking
08-19-2007, 10:19 AM
Hi,

Well, it seems that Dakota only works with UPS and I don't want anything to do with them (UPS). It might be cheaper to go to US and bring the book.

Kind regards,

José

:lol::lol: I agree with that 100%. UPS rips people off with their fees!!

Thanks for the link to Harley's new book!

harvey concepts
08-19-2007, 11:30 AM
Hi,

I ordered the Harley Brown book from Dakota and I just received an e-mail that they no longer sell this book. I purchased the book for 24.95 through www.artinthemaking.com - info that I got on the Internation Artist Magazine. I believe this is his new book - Harley Brown's Inspiration for Every Artist.

I also have purchased the Bill Hosner DVD on figure in landscape. It was excellent. I will be attending his workshop in Chatham this October.

Sarah

mrking
08-19-2007, 07:22 PM
That's too bad. I guess I have learned a lesson never to assume.

I bought my copy from Alibris (http://www.alibris.com/search/search.cfm?qwork=2816269&wauth=harley%20brown&matches=3&qsort=r&cm_re=works*listing*title). The cheapest I see on there now is $92.

Tracy Lang
08-22-2007, 01:04 PM
Harley Browns Eternal Truths for every artist is my number one reference!!! It is packed full of so much useful info that is easy to apply to my art. I get something new out of it each time I pick it up! My copy is dirty, smudged and dog eared (just like he would want) :)

I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of his newest book...I ordered last week, so will let you know!

Another favorite is Ramon Kelley's "The 5 essentials in every powerful painting"
He works in both oil and pastel and the book is filled with so many of his incredible paintings!

Tracy

Bringer
08-22-2007, 05:42 PM
Hi,

I just saw a used copy at Powell's and I even went through check out.
But then I repented because they were charging $5.50 per item. I didn't agree with this and cancelled.
After 2 or 3 minutes I've returned to the site and it's already purchased :-(
Was 26.97, I guess.

Kind regards,

José

mrking
09-19-2007, 12:56 AM
FWIW, I have read and reviewed Harley Brown's new book on my blog...

http://www.artbymichaelking.com/

K Taylor-Green
09-19-2007, 11:31 AM
The new book by Harley sounds great. I guess I need to add it to the other two of his that I have. I love his books, for their no nonsense approach to instruction as well as his humor in presenting it.