PDA

View Full Version : Artistic musings, ramblings, tangents for SanDL & mmk

Pages : [1] 2

Tamana
08-29-2003, 01:58 PM
Okay. I do understand what mmk is saying; however, this is not just an art forum, but a community as well and I appreciate the opportunity to play and interchange with others. And, being more than a forum, sometimes as community, we converse about things that aren't necessarily inclusive of a finished piece of art. I can't count the threads in just the last month that were started (some by me - sorry mmk) that didn't involve art. But, I honestly didn't think it bothered anyone.

Some forums have an extra thread (debates, mixed, etc.) that provides opportunities for conversations and topics which don't directly pertain to art, but are more focused on fellowship and community. So, here's our very own!!!! Ahem, of course I'll start. :D

OILS!!! EVERYONE I HAVE OILS PAINTS!! A friend treated me to an early lunch at Schlotszky's (ummmm), and then we went rambling to various stores and in one I was looking at oils etc. and they said:

"Go ahead and get some."
I said: "But I can't afford it."
They said: "I said 'get some', but I don't remember saying 'pay for it.'"
I said: "S Q U E A L!!"

I got oils and thinners and linseed oil and and and ....

You get the pic!! :D I wanted sooooooo badly to finish my large one in oils!! HOOOOZAH CABOOOOOZAH!!!

mmk
08-29-2003, 02:06 PM
i can understand, and have no problem with, threads not containing a work of art by the threadstarter, such as links to other works, or topics of discussion.
that type of thing is wholly different than, "BYE, GOODNIGHT, HAD FUN, SEE YOU TOMMOROW." it's extraneous, wasteful, and makes the person look like an ASS. at least to me.
why aren't there more "GOODNIGHT, ALL" threads? it's because most people know, it's not the prudent thing to do. if everyone who wanted to say GOODNIGHT did so, there would be just as many GOODNIGHT threads as CORRECT threads.

Tamana
08-29-2003, 02:08 PM
What about my oils?!!! :D Isn't God good? :) Another answered prayer.

kiteless
08-29-2003, 02:15 PM
stand back! personal opinions follow! you may not agree with them!

i obviously don't post my work here, but that is another story. i check this forum out a few times a day, and i really don't think its necessary to have a specific thread that has to pertain to any OT subjects. Each forum has its own little community, if you don't know what I mean, go read the glass forums for a bit. the last i checked the title of this wasn't Abstract Gallery, it was Abstract/Contemporary Art. If someone feels comfortable enough withth community to post OT, then i say go for it. it surprises me that even though abstract/contemporary artists are generally the most persecuted and misunderstood, that it seems that there isn't a big feeling of community here! this is one of the biggest reasons i haven't posted. come on folks, lightnen up. if we can't "be a community" then whats the point of this forum? to just stroke our egos and show off our stuff? thats pretty boring. feel free to flame all you want, it will be cheerfully filed in /dev/null

mmk
08-29-2003, 02:18 PM
haha

Tamana, the oil bandit

Tamana
08-29-2003, 02:26 PM
Them thar's fightin' werds!!! We can fight and talk about and amongst ourselves....but NO ONE ELSE CAN SAY ANYTHING ABOUT US OR THEY DIE!!

LOL. Come on and join us kiteless!!! You may even find a kite here ;) There's plenty of wind to fly one fer surrr!! :D

:cool: <-- bandit

Tamana
08-30-2003, 07:36 PM
I spent the day with my sister (well, friend but like a sister). It was her birthday recently but schedules didn't permit us to hang out then. So today I fixed her a lunch and had some hang out time. Gave her a painting I did just for her: Succession. I'll post it in anudder thread.

I'd like to see some peeps that are a part of your lives. It would be neat. Here's my friendsis, Gloria. I call her Glo. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Aug-2003/18021-Glo2.JPG

Tamana
08-31-2003, 09:22 AM
It's a cloudy day here. It's going to rain soon. I am waiting on my brother, then I'm off to get some things that Decadia is whispering about and it's a day of creating!!! And NO WORK TOMORROW!!! Yay!! :D

I hope everyone's day is wonderful!!! :D

LeCloudiness

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Aug-2003/18021-Cloudy.JPG

Keith Russell
08-31-2003, 11:48 AM
Tamana, congratulations on your oils!

As someone with a bit of a reputation for diverting the course of the average thread, I see no reason to force a thread to stay on track, if the tangents are more interesting, and if people are interested in them.

Several different, unconnected discussions can course through a single thread; is the purpose of an on-line forum (any on-line forum) people, or protocol...?

K

Tamana
08-31-2003, 03:10 PM
You? With a reputation of diverting the course of a topic?! (g a s p) NEVAH!! lol I understand what you're saying, Keith. I AM one of the world's worse too.

At least here it shouldn't offend anyone.

Several different, unconnected discussions can course through a single thread; is the purpose of an on-line forum (any on-line forum) people, or protocol...?

I would like to think people.

mmk
08-31-2003, 03:17 PM
of course, 'people' is the "right" answer to that question, if not the obvious one.

give yourselves a nice pat on the back. a-Doy! :evil:

Tamana
08-31-2003, 03:25 PM
mmk!!!! LOL

It was horrible here today. The storms produced flash flooding. Nothing like hydroplaning to your destination...and floating back. Power's out everywhere on main streets. No traffic lights etc. I wanted to get some shots of uptown window fronts...but it's so dark I don't think they'd take since they're behind glass so I can't use a flash.

It seems to just be looming now. Just sitting there looking down like it's waiting for something. I don't know.

Tamana
09-01-2003, 09:19 AM
And a happy Labor Day to ya!!!! Hope it's gra'yand fer ya!! :cool:

Still with the looming clouds here.

mmk
09-01-2003, 03:23 PM
hi Tamana, happy labor day to you as well! here in Kansas the clouds are also still looming, as they have been for the past 3 days, lots of heavy rain. not supposed to rain today, possible clearing of the skies later in the day. high temp of only 75 which is a nice change from 102 with heat index of 107 as we've had for the past week before the rains.

Tamana
09-01-2003, 04:29 PM
eeeek @ 107 heat index!!! Glad it's cooled down for you, mmk. We've been really lucky here this summer. It was a very mild one with plenty of rain. I am so glad to see Autumn roll in. My favorite!!

Today's been nice. My new neighbor from Scotland just got back in from Miami. He lost his brother so he was kinda sad. I was photgraphing Decadia and walked in to check the pics on the comp and when I walked back out he was standing there looking at her (I wish I had time to post the pics now but I don't). He said it was nice to get home after four rough days and see something so beautiful staring him in the face.

It made me feel humble. I am thinkin of just giving her to him. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Sep-2003/18021-Robert.JPG

And now the traditional 'pig out' at my brothers!! yay!!! Have a good one all!!

brushstroked
09-01-2003, 10:38 PM
Almost too late to wish it, but Happy Labor Day to Tam and everyone!

Tamana
09-02-2003, 06:18 PM
I hope you had a good one, Laura!!!! I most soitainly did!! Been downloading some pics of peeps who made this art thing possible. Want to thank 'em.

This is Steve & Phyllis at a recent cookout we all had. Steve is the new Director/Dean of the college and Phyllis is the one that keeps him straight. ;) (I think I need to graduate before I say something like that? :D ). They are wonderful friends, and are the ones who gave me all the acrylics and brushes and cleaners etc to begin with.

Thanks for believing in me guys! :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Sep-2003/18021-Cookout.jpg

The guy in the purple shirt (actually I think it was royal blue), in the background is Mike. He was our contact in Iraq. He was there for about 3 months. Less than 12 hours after he left, his replacement camera man was sitting in a car when a rocket launcher landed under it...

This is Pat at a meeting about the college. She is the one who came and got me and my art and took me to one of the cafe's that show. She is also the one who bought my oils and cleaners etc. Thanks to ya Pat for believing in me. :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Sep-2003/18021-Miss_Pat.JPG

This is Angie, she's the administrative assistant at the church and helps us with the college too and is also camera shy. She gave me probably 100 tubes of fabric paint which came in handy with the cheescloth I used for Decadia. Thanks, Angie, for believing in me. :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Sep-2003/18021-Angie.JPG

So, who are the people who believed in YOU when you first started out? I'd like to hear some stories and see some photos. But, just stories would be good too. :)

mmk
09-02-2003, 06:49 PM
Hi Tamana!

any chance we'll see a picture of you along with the others in this thread? :)

it sounds like there might be some misunderstandings. to clarify, my original beef was with a topic started by someone just to say goodnight to someone else. i don't have a problem with threads that TRANSMOGRIFY along their lifespans.

Tamana
09-02-2003, 08:19 PM
Here I am in my natural habitat: hair. It's way past my waist. And, one reason I say "huh?" whenever someone says "cousin" or "it." Something about betrothed or bride of, or something, I don't know. Can't really remember. Childhood thing arrangement, something.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Sep-2003/18021-It.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Sep-2003/18021-Bride_of_It.JPG

And NONONONONO!!!! You are RIGHT!!! We NEED a thread JUST LIKE THIS so no one else will screw up!!! Unless....of course....you may be thinking that you were, I dunno, kinda...... wrong in your assessment of SanDL, maybe, and this thread ISN'T needed because periodically things like a wild thread will occur and are fun and break the monotony? :)

somerset
09-02-2003, 10:53 PM
Ok, I'll bite. I'll try anyway. Artistic expression has always been a big part of who I am. Music (piano) for umpteen years. Classically trained and technically proficient but soulless. In an effort to forget everything I have been taught, I have not touched one for about 4 years. About ready to begin again to see what comes out...hopefully it is me.
Wrote several short stories (none published ) for the fun of it I thought were good and I would love to find them one day.
Enjoy ballet immensely.
Visual art...well that was an aborted expression for even though I enjoyed it, asthma would not let me take what I thought should be the next step so it was put aside. If only I had known about pastel then LOL! Watercolors? Puh-leez! Only for the patient.
Many, many moons later I found digital and it scratched the itch. So I have worked with it for about 18 months now and somewhere along the line I isolated my best work (that was easy) and had my wife look at it. She thought I should try to sell it. Knowing that she is crazy, I then consulted my mother who agreed. I said no mom, I mean THESE pictures. She loved them. So shortly I will be trying to do just that.

Tamana
09-02-2003, 11:12 PM
Puh-leez! Only for the patient.

hahaha. An English one? ;)

The arts are beautiful indeed, Michael. I think we were separated at birth, along with Dahhhhz. :D

You should show us more of your digis. I'm not really that familiar with them or the process; however, I loved one enough to use it in Decadia, so .... that's saying something. I look at what you and mmk do and I am like, "yeah, right, ok." (like I have a clue :rolleyes: ).

Now that you know about pastels...will you try them? :D

So who introduced you to visual arts? Your mother? A teacher? Yourself? Who or what inspired you or introduced you to them?

somerset
09-02-2003, 11:32 PM
I believe MMK's process is far more technical than mine and speaks to the computer more than I do and he is really good at whipping that computer into shape. I use digi much in the way a user of traditional medium would use canvas, oils, acrylics and so on. I just see funny.

My stuff is really no more than trying to capture a mood with color and shape with a minimum of 'drawing'. If I have to draw a lot, it takes far too long to hold my interest. I have done a few nudes (just to hold that interest of course) but that sort of thing usually takes 3-4 weeks to complete and that makes me buggy. I ry to finish something in a few days at most.

Actually did a pastel early this year. Boy do I have a lot to learn especially its application. If I get any better AND buy a digicam I may post some.

As far as the introduction to arts is concerned, I can't really say anyone pointed me in that direction...it was just there.

kare
09-02-2003, 11:32 PM
lol Michael.. think we all go through that stage after a bit. My family are constantly praising my art yet all I want is a bit of critique.. That's why I post on wetcanvas! :) Oh and of course because there are wonderful people around here, like Tam who start fun threads such as this one :D

This is my best friend, Eils (Another member of WC!).. We've been writing to one another for around 4 years now and she has always encouraged me to do my best at everything I do. She's the most loveliest person I know.. B w lium, Eils :)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Sep-2003/18486-me1.JPG

This is a photograph of me with my sister, Sun. She inspires me to be the best person I can be.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Sep-2003/18486-ciarrai_&_sue.jpg

And here is my partner, Mchel. He encourages me to follow my dreams and make them come true. He constantly helps me to realise the good in everything. (And he doesn't mind when I prefer to paint instead of watching the football with him on television ;) LOL
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Sep-2003/18486-michael.2002.jpg

Well.. that's just a little from me. Back to work now :rolleyes:
~ciarrai.

Tamana
09-02-2003, 11:40 PM
I'll hope you'll get a digi, Michael, so we can see what you've been up to. I would love a glimpse!!! Can you go ahead and show us the nudes? Or, do you need a cam for that?

ciarrai: you and your sister have beautiful smiles!! Isn't it wonderful that you have friends and family that encourage you, not to mention a handsome partner? ;) Where does Eils post at? I noticed you said she was a WC member too.

Thanks for sharing your photos. It's great to see some faces and lives behind the art. :)

kare
09-02-2003, 11:44 PM
eilis has a few posts in the watercolour forum i think..
her username is irishisle :)

somerset
09-03-2003, 12:07 AM
I am bad at his sort of thing, hope they work

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=111209

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=106592

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=89237

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=109478

kare
09-03-2003, 12:29 AM
intriguing works there Michael :) how long do they take you generally?

somerset
09-03-2003, 12:44 AM
Thanks Ciarrai ;) Nudes usually are 3-4 weeks but Steamroom Nude was probably just a day as it is really no more than sketch with color through it. Doing a WIP with interaction from others was fun, I may try something like that again the next time I think I have a good idea.

mmk
09-03-2003, 02:13 AM
hmmm.

.Unless....of course....you may be thinking that you were, I dunno, kinda...... wrong in your assessment of SanDL, maybe, and this thread ISN'T needed because periodically things like a wild thread will occur and are fun and break the monotony?

wild threads are real fun for the server.
although i can appreciate the wildness of such wild threads as that. it's awesome, in fact. i feel like starting a wild thread right now even. i'll call it, HI EVERYONE> I"M MMK. THIS IS MY THREAD. AND IT'S AWESOME.

Tamana
09-03-2003, 07:22 AM
I would say: "Hi mmk!!!! What an awesome thread!!!"

While I was laughing, of course. :) There's nothing wrong with a little fun. And, I don't think it would make you look like an "extraneous, wasteful, ... ASS" at all. :)

mame
09-03-2003, 08:23 AM
Missy Tamana:

If things get really tight, here's a lead on some quick cash you might pick up from an artist who might pay big for that flowing mane

Wenda Gu:
http://www.plexus.org/gu.html
http://www.dialnsa.edu/iat97/johannesburg/alt_currents/gu.html

Tamana
09-03-2003, 12:25 PM
hair & contraceptive powder entitled: "Installation." You gotta have mixed ones about that!! Or at least I do!! :D

Things are tight NOW so I'm bookmarking!!!!

Actually, I DID cut it two years ago up past my shoulders for that Locks of Love place that needed two wigs for twins who had leukemia. I probably had enough left over for a third. It just grows incredibly fast, too much so for any kind of style so I just let it go until I hear about something like that.

Purrchiate the links though. You always find the most unusual things.

mame
09-03-2003, 12:39 PM
lol! Did a quick search for a visual for this artist. Didn't read the text too closely. Didn't mean to imply anything other than "hair".
LOL!

Tamana
09-04-2003, 09:46 AM
I know. I love irony though!!! :D

Tamana
09-04-2003, 04:13 PM
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmkaaayaaaaaa?

arourapope
09-04-2003, 04:28 PM
:D
She asks me why
I'm just a hairy guy
I'm hairy noon and night
Hair that's a fright
I'm hairy high and low
Don't ask me why
Don't know
It's not for lack of break
Like the Grateful Dead
Darling

Gimme head with hair
Long beautiful hair
Shining, gleaming,
Streaming, flaxen, waxen

Give me down to there hair
Shoulder length or longer
Here baby, there mama
Everywhere daddy daddy

Hair, hair, hair, hair, hair, hair, hair
Flow it, show it
Long as God can grow it
My hair

Let it fly in the breeze
And get caught in the trees
Give a home to the fleas in my hair
A home for fleas
A hive for bees
A nest for birds
There ain't no words
For the beauty, the splendor, the wonder
Of my...

Flow it, show it
Long as God can grow it
My hair

I want it long, straight, curly, fuzzy
Snaggy, shaggy, ratty, matty
Oily, greasy, fleecy
Shining, gleaming, streaming
Flaxen, waxen
Knotted, polka-dotted
Twisted, beaded, braided
Powdered, flowered, and confettied
Bangled, tangled, spangled, and spaghettied!

Oh say can you see
My eyes if you can
Then my hair's too short

Down to here
Down to there
Down to where
It stops by itself

They'll be ga ga at the go go
When they see me in my toga
My toga made of blond
Brilliantined
Biblical hair

My hair like Jesus wore it
Hallelujah I adore it
Hallelujah Mary loved her son
Why don't my mother love me?

Flow it, show it
Long as God can grow it
My hair, hair, hair, hair, hair, hair, hair
Flow it, show it
Long as God can grow it
My hair

kare
09-04-2003, 06:27 PM
auro.. i want your hair!

arourapope
09-04-2003, 06:36 PM
Aaack! No. I'll let you have Tam's, though. :D

kare
09-04-2003, 06:50 PM
oh lol and speaking on behalf of tam, i'm sure she'd agree with you :p i couldn't do that to her.. it's beautiful hair Tam, but i'm sure you'd miss it terribly!!

Gar
09-04-2003, 06:57 PM
I hair U Tam.:)

kare
09-04-2003, 06:58 PM
Thats beautiful Gar.

Tamana
09-04-2003, 09:01 PM
Aurora!!!! Is that really YOU, cousin it?!!! I LOVE the fact that after all those words about "hair" your signature says: "It's a jungle in here."
hahahaha
~

ciarrai: Sometimes I WANT to chop it off myself!!!
~

Gar: OMIGOD!!!! *faints*

Tamana
09-04-2003, 09:21 PM
I found you a friend who loves ballet too!!!!!!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Sep-2003/18021-grigor16.jpg

arourapope
09-04-2003, 10:08 PM
Here's my hairy self, Tam. :)

wish it was a bit more combed or something....

mmk
09-04-2003, 10:17 PM
concentration moon
over the camp in the valley
concentration moon
wish i was back in the alley
with all of my friends, still running free
hair growing out every hole in me

Tamana
09-04-2003, 10:22 PM
Aurora!!!

It's beautiful!! It looks thick like mine. It's a pain sometimes isn't it, but they say we'll be grateful for it come old age!!! :D When I make it to Asheville well have to do a side by side shot!!!

LOVE that sweater you have on btw!! It's to die for!!!

LOL mmmmmmmkaaaaaaaayaaaaaaa!!

arourapope
09-04-2003, 10:42 PM
Asheville oughta be fun. :)

kare
09-04-2003, 11:24 PM
This is my kitty cat, Oscar, 1 yr old.
He's a terror!!

He's sitting in the fruit basket which hangs from my parents kitchen ceiling here.. he got up there himself though it seems he wants some help to get back down..
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Sep-2003/18486-oscar.jpg

Tamana
09-05-2003, 08:16 AM
Today is: (e y e r o l l)

Be Late for Something Day (I kid you NOT)

I was listening to the radio this morning and they were accepting calls from people with stories about being late for something and it turned out better than if they'd been on time.

So, anyway....HAPPY BE LATE FOR SOMETHING DAY

:rolleyes:

cutie kittie ciarai

Aurora - Ashville rocks.

Tamana
09-05-2003, 09:13 AM
http://321greetings.com/belate.htm

I got to thinking...but anyway...it's really real. lol

Tamana
09-05-2003, 03:03 PM
Met a friend for lunch today. Though only ten minutes, they were conspicuosly late. When they said: "Sorry I'm late." I thought..."Hmmm, right."

Coincidence? YOU decide.

Tamana
09-06-2003, 05:13 PM
In 1838 the Cherokee Nation was stripped of their rights and forced to move against their will on 'The Trail of Tears' by the governments of Georgia and United States ...

Today is the anniversary of the adoption of the Cherokee Constitution on September 6, 1839.

ge-tsi-ka-hv-da a-ne-gv-i
(The Trail Where They Cried)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Sep-2003/18021-Trail_of_Tears.jpg

"Relocation"
Arlene White

This interests me because of my bloodline in part descended from Cherokee. I wonder how many here in WC have tribal blood, and what tribe?

Tamana
09-07-2003, 12:59 PM
THAT many hey?!!

lol

somerset
09-07-2003, 01:16 PM
Somehow this topic came up before in the past; I remember now. Some one asked the meaning of our chosen screen identitiies.

There is at least one other party here with American Indian heritage...me. Somerset Indian.

Tamana
09-08-2003, 10:00 AM
looks like you and I be the only brave & sqaw descendent around these "he'yah parts."

Thought for the day:

"I did not say there were no
Misunderstandings, discontents,
And Hurts. I would it had been so...
But these we learned to live above.
I do not say there were no hurts.
I say they mattered less than love."

Jane Merchant, "Highway Up the Sky"

And they do.

feather
09-08-2003, 11:33 AM
sqaw is not a nice term

Tamana
09-08-2003, 11:52 AM
I didn't mean to offend anyone.

I was referring to myself; however, sqaw is NOT a bad term imho. It's a term and widely used.

"sqaw

Apachi
Here the brave apachi
He came in the sabi
Going to my tiny
Gonna make him love me
I'm gonna reach out
I've got a passion
I like him

He told me cheri
Sizing up this lady
Thinking that I made it
No time for another
I just wanna be his lover and his sqaw, sqaw
No time another

Night was young is weather
Him and me together
In my vigvam
I like my red man
Thinking of apachi
A lucky sqaw to such a man I like him

Watching brave apachi
He was sorry in my TV
Just gonna trace him
No time for another

Comancha, Comanchi
Comancha man marry me
Come and look into the face of my apachi
Love is not so easy to find
Comancha, Comanchi
You don't want no cheroki
Come and look into the face of my apachi
Love is not so easy to find

Nowhere else I wanna be
When apachi's close to me
In the end we know how
When we get the power and get high, high
Nowhere else I wanna be
When he's here in my jepie
No time for another
I just wanna be his lover and his sqaw, sqaw"
Arabesque
~

"Sqaw Message": Oil on Canvas

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Sep-2003/18021-Sqaw.jpg

home.pi.be/gonda/sqaw.htm
~

Another spelling is squaw. It normally refers to an older woman, where squa refers to a younger woman.

There are valleys, stores, towns, songs, quilts, horses, and much more entitled: "Sqaw". I've never known of a dispute regarding its use. I'm not saying there hasn't been. I'm saying not to my knowledge has there been. It's a matter of perspective.

And let's not forget "intent." And mine was not malicious.
~

Tamana
09-08-2003, 04:35 PM
jes not my day's all.

feather
09-08-2003, 04:40 PM
http://members.home.nl/aeissing/00692.html is just one example, and other states have come up against the issue and found the costs for changing names were too prohibitive.

Tamana
09-08-2003, 04:45 PM
Thank you for pointing that out. I had no idea it bothered anyone. It's struck from my vocabulary.

feather
09-08-2003, 05:01 PM
A good woman you are

Tamana
09-09-2003, 11:33 AM
sadness

sadness

sadness

what the .......ness?!

It's like sadness is some kind of statement or lifestyle to be enjoyed or something. The world has horrible things and beautiful things. Should we focus on what people do with their time or money? Should we judge what they should be doing or how they see things? Should this make us continually sad because in our perspective they don't 'get it'?

Is anyone happy anymore?! Is anyone straight up and unafraid of both dark & light? Sun & rain? Wind & calm? Noise & quiet? Does anyone 'know' who they are and what they believe beyond a shadow of a doubt and are willing to stand firm for it no matter the cost? What is worth fighting for to you?

Is art a religion to believe in? And would you fight for it?

Come out
come out
wherever you are.

mame
09-09-2003, 12:06 PM
I ALMOST know EXACTLY who I am (having lived long enough to get this far) - but the cosmic joke is, I suspect, that absolute exactness doesn't come until that last breath..........

That is not to say I am not continually questioning, re-assessing, deliberating, searching, acknowledging, re-configuring, digressing, progressing, wondering, reacting, engaging - myself and the world around me.

That's what artists DO.

Gar
09-09-2003, 01:31 PM
Nice thoughts Mame.

I feel as though i was more certain of my being when i was a child. It seems the older i get, the more "lost" that I feel. I'm like a gallon of water slosching around at the bottom of the ocean.

Can one be necessary and meaningless simaltainiously?

mame
09-09-2003, 01:52 PM
Gar - nothing about the good fortune of having crossed your path (albeit in cyberspace) has, for me, been meaningless.

(hey! even crotchety ole auntie mame can get touchy-feely, okay????:angel: )

arourapope
09-09-2003, 01:53 PM
somebody (who?) once said that's it's all but a half-truth.

fractalfingers
09-09-2003, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Gar
Nice thoughts Mame.

I feel as though i was more certain of my being when i was a child. It seems the older i get, the more "lost" that I feel. I'm like a gallon of water slosching around at the bottom of the ocean.

Can one be necessary and meaningless simaltainiously?

No.. it is impossible to be meaningless. Not understanding the meaning does not equate to meaningless. Feeling lost? join a cult.... lol. Really.. look at it this way.. 99% of the things that happen and that we see every day we walk out the door are a result of millions of years of human evolution creating their own reality in an absense of any real direction. very little of it has any significance or value. We are surrounded by constructs created by mostly simple minded people for simple minded things. Who in the cosmos cares if we drive a Chevy.. or if zoning laws don't permit you to add a second floor to your house. Wasted human energy... most things are a waste. Pretense, etiquite, cultural norms.. all created by the consensus of other humans.. and typically the result of the lowest common denominator. the more one finds one's self, the more one understands their place in the universe. and the more one realizes it has little to do with much on this planet other than interaction with other living beings. Once you start moving there, and leave the flock... it's inevitable you feel lonely, lost, isolated. more so if you leave the flock but havn't yet found direction. but really.. you arn't alone and there is nothing to fear... killing a few hours on this god forsaken planet isn't a bad way to spend time.. after all, you could be standing in a cosmic sandstorm as it blasted out your eyes and pealed your skin to the bone and crushed your mind with it's roar.. surrest sign you've found direction is when that possibility doesn't bother you much.. lol. No.. your not alone.. you are surrounded by people and things.. unfortunately most of them are pretty useless without prodding.

Gar
09-09-2003, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by mame
Gar - nothing about the good fortune of having crossed your path (albeit in cyberspace) has, for me, been meaningless.

(hey! even crotchety ole auntie mame can get touchy-feely, okay????:angel: )

Thank you for reminding of the importance of the human struggle my cyber-sweety.

PS - I always liked the "touch" and "feel" of everything you've contacted Molly.

Tamana
09-09-2003, 02:01 PM
Mame: yes, exactly. Evolution.

Gar: When we are young we see the entire world in front of us full of endless possibilities and wonders. Sometimes, when we age, and when those many of those wonders seem to have lost their lustre in discovery, we tend to view the world and all her infinite possibilities behind us.

When this happens we feel like you've described: a bucket of water, the bucket surrounding us distinguishes us from other buckets of water. Never the less, we are merely pushed/pulled with the motion of the under current and floating in whatever direction it takes us. Sometimes that's no direction during a dead calm and baking sun. We feel like we are going no where and doing nothing. Sometimes it's transported into another ocean on a tidal wave of circumstances that change your life, be they good or bad.

There are millions of buckets in the ocean all full of water. We are all the same, and yet not. We are all significant, and yet not. But, rest assured, there has never been, and there never will be another Gar Baily. And your paintings and your words will outlive and influence all the generations to come.

I don't think you're lost. I think you're finding your way home. :)

And let me just add: I sure am glad my bucket bumped yours in this ocean of world we float in. :)

Hey hey mame on the touchy feely....;)

Aurora: It's a pear. THAT'S the whole truth. ;)

Hey fractal nice to see your words over here. You always have good ones hey hey. I enjoy your posts.

(edited cuzza crossposting)

Gar
09-09-2003, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by fractalfingers

No.. it is impossible to be meaningless. Not understanding the meaning does not equate to meaningless. Feeling lost? join a cult.... lol. Really.. look at it this way.. 99% of the things that happen and that we see every day we walk out the door are a result of millions of years of human evolution creating their own reality in an absense of any real direction. very little of it has any significance or value. We are surrounded by constructs created by mostly simple minded people for simple minded things. Who in the cosmos cares if we drive a Chevy.. or if zoning laws don't permit you to add a second floor to your house. Wasted human energy... most things are a waste. Pretense, etiquite, cultural norms.. all created by the consensus of other humans.. and typically the result of the lowest common denominator. the more one finds one's self, the more one understands their place in the universe. and the more one realizes it has little to do with much on this planet other than interaction with other living beings. Once you start moving there, and leave the flock... it's inevitable you feel lonely, lost, isolated. more so if you leave the flock but havn't yet found direction. but really.. you arn't alone and there is nothing to fear... killing a few hours on this god forsaken planet isn't a bad way to spend time.. after all, you could be standing in a cosmic sandstorm as it blasted out your eyes and pealed your skin to the bone and crushed your mind with it's roar.. surrest sign you've found direction is when that possibility doesn't bother you much.. lol. No.. your not alone.. you are surrounded by people and things.. unfortunately most of them are pretty useless without prodding.

Wow Fractal! How utterly prophetic and insightful. It's people like you and ol'Mamester that remind me that it's not "all for not". it's people like you that make the world turn and the moon glow. thank you again for opening some doors.. for flipping some switches. For shining some light. It does "mean" something to me.:)

fractalfingers
09-09-2003, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Gar

Wow Fractal! How utterly prophetic and insightful. It's people like you and ol'Mamester that remind me that it's not "all for not". it's people like you that make the world turn and the moon glow. thank you again for opening some doors.. for flipping some switches. For shining some light. It does "mean" something to me.:)

yes.... pardon my bellicosity in the debates forum.. I'm trying to make new friends.. lol.

mame
09-09-2003, 02:17 PM
fractal - you sure are a good speller.....:D

arourapope
09-09-2003, 02:23 PM

blkros
09-09-2003, 02:28 PM
ROTFLMAO :D

fractalfingers
09-09-2003, 02:28 PM
fractal - you sure are a good speller.....:D

All morally righteous people are mame. if cleanliness is next to godliness, surely clean and direct language is also divine. Those that cannot spell, expose their lack of education and their moral corruption.

Tamana
09-09-2003, 02:29 PM

All morally righteous people are mame. if cleanliness is next to godliness, surely clean and direct language is also divine. Those that cannot spell, expose their lack of education and their moral corruption.

Goes off to cry!!!

Gar
09-09-2003, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Tamana

Gar: When we are young we see the entire world in front of us full of endless possibilities and wonders. Sometimes, when we age, and when those many of those wonders seem to have lost their lustre in discovery, we tend to view the world and all her infinite possibilities behind us.

When this happens we feel like you've described: a bucket of water, the bucket surrounding us distinguishes us from other buckets of water. Never the less, we are merely pushed/pulled with the motion of the under current and floating in whatever direction it takes us. Sometimes that's no direction during a dead calm and baking sun. We feel like we are going no where and doing nothing. Sometimes it's transported into another ocean on a tidal wave of circumstances that change your life, be they good or bad.

There are millions of buckets in the ocean all full of water. We are all the same, and yet not. We are all significant, and yet not. But, rest assured, there has never been, and there never will be another Gar Baily. And your paintings and your words will outlive and influence all the generations to come.

I don't think you're lost. I think you're finding your way home. :)

And let me just add: I sure am glad my bucket bumped yours in this ocean of world we float in. :)

(edited cuzza crossposting)

Now i'm startin' to tear up damn it.:crying: fer real though Tam, you've become like a sister to me. The Love that you constantly give makes the "ocean" look like a tear in a bucket. You're a constant in a world of fickleness. A true inspiration 2 me. I'm thankful just to know your name. I look forward to the day when i might know your face. Thank You.

Love Always - Gar Bailey

blkros
09-09-2003, 02:41 PM

Damn, I wish I spelled worse! :(

Tamana
09-09-2003, 02:42 PM
fanks, Gar. :) Imma doin a road trip summer of 04. Jes me n my car's all: hopefully. :D Maybe then. :)

Keef: LOL

mame
09-09-2003, 03:17 PM
LOLLOLLOL
Fractal:

The internet/words/"meaning" is a strange bird......

When I read your post, fractal, I thought your meaning was....

"all morally righteous people ARE MAME......." (my emphasis).

Thought it was a stab/ a little sarcasm at MY "it's all about me"/I'm the queen/I know everything cyberspace persona. Perhaps it is........hard to tell. Things are so cranky around here these days. Is there a bad moon rising?

Morally righteous? Me? Uh.....don't think so. Just ask Tam. She knows well that I particpate through the cracks in the ceiling of the purgatory crawl space:D .....but it's still all about me, right?

arourapope
09-09-2003, 03:26 PM
Mame has pink hair. :o :D

Gar
09-09-2003, 03:27 PM
Mame is actually Santa Clause. So be good, little boys and girls.

Tamana
09-09-2003, 03:33 PM
(NOW do you get it?!?! ;) )

fractalfingers
09-09-2003, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by aurorapope

Pink hair leads to sin.

Tamana
09-09-2003, 03:44 PM
She's looking for a photo: I just know it.

muchfoolishness
09-09-2003, 08:08 PM
spelling iz dogma
meaning iz a contrakt
all morally righteous ppls inhabit the crawl space with mame
therefore the werld iz flat
and neologisms become impossible
my eyes are sharing violations
all poetry iz teleology
all division is by zero
huh?

blkros
09-09-2003, 08:17 PM
She's looking for a photo: I just know it.

I think I have one somewhere. Maybe I can find it.
Pink hair is soooooooo kewl!
:D :evil: :angel: (Damn, where's my bat!)

blkros
09-09-2003, 08:18 PM
Division by zero leads to nothing.

muchfoolishness
09-09-2003, 08:22 PM
and everything

how many times does nothing go into something?

Elankat
09-09-2003, 09:02 PM

Pink hair leads to sin.

Hey! I resemble that remark. :p ;) :D

muchfoolishness
09-09-2003, 09:17 PM
me too
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Sep-2003/9955-pink.jpg

blkros
09-09-2003, 09:19 PM
The Greeks (and 'western civilization') didn't have the concept of zero. We had to get that from the Turks/Muslims.

blkros
09-09-2003, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by muchfoolishness
me too

Ah, to have hair again. :sigh: :D

Elankat
09-09-2003, 09:33 PM
me too

lol!

I think we may have even had the same color. :)

Um, and the same cut...right down to the part. ;) rofl!

muchfoolishness
09-09-2003, 09:35 PM
that will teach you to not copyright your head

Elankat
09-09-2003, 09:36 PM
that will teach you to not copyright your head

Don't make me file a lawsuit! :D

Tamana
09-09-2003, 09:44 PM
ROFLMAOWPIMPATTHIBC (<------ HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAH)

Uhhhh, mame? Exactly WHICH twins were you referring to? ;)

Tamana
09-10-2003, 08:38 AM
Sunshine & coffee.

Where's mmk?

brushstroked
09-10-2003, 10:11 AM
I'm so thankful I have a left brain to use too. It just adores absolutes and concrete definitions and standing firm on things.

I've half a mind to completely denounce nihilism.

mame
09-10-2003, 10:46 AM
There's nothing more concrete than pink hair and nothing sexier than.........

no hair (bilk)

The gorgeous twins are yours truly muchfoolishness and gar and el is the cute Bart Simpson, when he's being a good boy, and the recalcitrant James Dean when he's not.

I just sigh/adore from my rocking chair.

Tamana
09-10-2003, 10:53 AM
Just makin' sure you didn't mean Elankat & Michael: I mean really....ain't they cute?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Sep-2003/18021-El_Pink.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Sep-2003/18021-Michael_Pink.jpg

Looks like you're bart, El...OH!!! she meant El"elegante", not El"ankat. ;)

So much pink hair, gorgeousness, and Simpson's episodes...so little world.

Hey Keef!! I'll have you know Yul Brenner was one of my all time favorite actors. I had the HUGEST fan crush on him when I was young. Everyone thought I was crazy.

Laura: LOL!!! THAT kind of morning, hey? ;)

Tamana
09-10-2003, 11:19 AM
Thinkings.....

have I ever seen El'elegante? I don't think so. Gar, did you EVER post photos anywhere of your trip to WA to see him? I think I remember seeing one in debates....but I think it was of you not El. I would like to see one.

Where IS El?

Gar
09-10-2003, 12:16 PM
Hey Tam,
I did get a couple of pics of El when i was in Seattle, but it was with a disposable camera. I need to get a scanner to put them in my computer before i can share them with ya'll. Here's one of EL from the archives that photoshop'd a bit for ya though to tide you over. heh.

Hmmm??...we used to have a thread down here in the basement were those who that wished to could share their "hidden" identities. think i'll go look for it.

Tamana
09-10-2003, 12:21 PM
Oh coolness. Yeah I remember that thread...just don't recall seeing El...maybe I overlooked?

Tamana
09-10-2003, 01:10 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Sep-2003/18021-mmk.gif <---- has anyone seen THIS person?

kare
09-10-2003, 06:31 PM
we live on a mountain
right at the top
there's a beautiful view
from the top of the mountain
every morning i walk towards the edge
and throw little things off
like:
car-parts, bottles and cutlery
or whatever i find lying around

it's become a habit
a way
to start the day

i go through this
before you wake up
so i can feel happier
to be safe up here with you

it's real early morning
no-one is awake
i'm back at my cliff
still throwing things off
i listen to the sounds they make
on their way down
i follow with my eyes 'til they crash
imagine what my body would sound like
slamming against those rocks

and when it lands
will my eyes
be closed or open?

i'll go through all this
before you wake up
so i can feel happier
to be safe up here with you

~hyperballad.

PALudeking
09-10-2003, 07:36 PM
Hey everyone...talking about art can inspire one ...or keep you from getting anything done, haha....Im kinda new around here but this forum as been the most supportive I've found!! also the people here, show great art AND become friends too Its really cool ...Im not a traditional artist in many ways but i find a sense of belonging in the absract contemporary forum ....i

Tamana
09-10-2003, 07:50 PM
Well, we are glad you're with us Lude!!!! You bring a unique contribution and talent that only you possess. Except here lately you haven't brought it enough...hey?? :)

Thanks for the wonderful words. :)
~

ciarrai: :music: sing it baybay!! :music:

~

kare
09-10-2003, 07:57 PM
;) I will Tam.. I will!

Really admire Bjork and her creative outlet with singing.

Elankat
09-11-2003, 12:14 AM
There's nothing more concrete than pink hair and nothing sexier than.........

no hair (bilk)

mmm hmmm. Bald or balding. Love it. :)

fractalfingers
09-11-2003, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by Elankat

mmm hmmm. Bald or balding. Love it. :)
Demons OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Save this woman!!!!

Heal!!!!! Heal!!!!!!!

fractalfingers
09-11-2003, 01:10 AM
what have we done to you kitty...

fractalfingers
09-11-2003, 01:15 AM
I knew it!!!!!!

Tamana
09-11-2003, 01:58 AM
!

Tamana
09-11-2003, 02:54 AM
about painting in the still quiet of 3:00 am?

Tamana
09-11-2003, 03:20 AM
The leaves put on their coats at night...then in the morning Autumn has come...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Sep-2003/18021-Coats_.JPG

A light in the distance of night...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Sep-2003/18021-From_the_Terrace.JPG

oopsa - they weren't dressed yet....now I think they are...

Tamana
09-11-2003, 09:55 AM
my back hurts.

The humpback of WetCanvas.

Elankat
09-11-2003, 03:02 PM
I knew it!!!!!!

lol!

feather
09-11-2003, 03:44 PM
Kitty strikes back

Tamana
09-11-2003, 04:09 PM
:eek:

lol

Tamana
09-11-2003, 04:37 PM
Am I the only one (besides a minute few), here that LOVES to see details? I mean on here the whole shot doesn't adequately portray the painting (to me). I want to get up close and personal with your art.

I want to smell its scent with my eyes.
Feel its breath on my mind.
Touch its essence with my heart.

Get up close and personal is what it's about,
to me anyway.

Gimme gimme

somerset
09-11-2003, 05:12 PM
Don't hate me but.....

TODAY AN AURORA POPE ORIGINAL ARRIVED IN THE MAIL!

All the emotive intricacies, nuance & power in their full glory straight...no pixels!

heh
09-11-2003, 05:15 PM
ooohs and ahhhs

Tamana
09-11-2003, 05:28 PM
Michael :D

blkros
09-11-2003, 06:12 PM
Michael, YOU SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Which onewas it--have we sen it?
(Do we have a green with envy icon?)

kare
09-11-2003, 06:21 PM
COOL!! my kitties a punk!!!

i love it!! thanks heaps.. will make this my tinyhead :evil: :evil:

somerset
09-11-2003, 06:34 PM
Yeah Keith, I can't stand myself either!! This one is a nude, Green Light Crimson Shadow. Have been resisting the urge since I have been a member. Good news? There are just 8 paintings available (last time I saw her web site anyway) that I just gotta have. Bad News? Aurora is awfully damn prolific...

Elankat
09-11-2003, 06:52 PM
I want to smell its scent with my eyes.
Feel its breath on my mind.
Touch its essence with my heart.

Get up close and personal is what it's about,
to me anyway.

Hmmm. I think the painting needs to file a restraining order. ;)

Tamana
09-11-2003, 09:06 PM
muahahahahaah

:evil:

mame
09-11-2003, 10:10 PM
Smell away.

Caryl's Ladder Detail
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Sep-2003/2999-Caryls_ladder_detail_3.JPG

Scarlet Letter ('A' is for Artist alphabet series) Detail
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Sep-2003/2999-scarlet_letter_detail.JPG

(Please excuse dirty/linty slide scanner glass:rolleyes:

somerset
09-11-2003, 10:13 PM
Now don't you start too! Big walls, shallow pockets!

heh
09-11-2003, 10:24 PM
*licks the paintings then runs*

fractalfingers
09-11-2003, 10:25 PM
HEH....

HEH...

HEH HEH HEH HEH HEEEE HEEE HEEE....

Dada can be fun... but I wouldn't exactly call this art.

Tamana
09-11-2003, 10:27 PM
unbelievable. I mean just look. Tears. I NEVER saw the tears on the other one. Such sadness in the eyes and play of emotion upon the lips. ****. I mean sheeeesh. (please don't tell me they are those insignificant white dots again that seem significant only to me). God this monitor sucks I just know it does. What work.

Good art is such intoxication isn't it? It's an unmatched high by any drug. For me, anyway. I've yet to even have a glass of wine when I paint. Just me and the cardboard and lighter. LOL.

These are incredible. I don't know how you do it, i.e. - portray such an antiqued look that emmanates preciousness such as oriental pieces that scream "wisdom" that you hear and yet strain your eyes seeking the forest behind the treeeeees - just relax not so tense. You perfect through imperfections. Do you know that? Are you aware? D'oh of course you are.

It's the minor details that breath the life. The "smudged" lips. (seriously who has perfect lipstick on?). The mismatched eyebrows (who EVER has two perfectly matched?). The ears are GREAT. That one sticking out..yep. The widened nose: the beautiful imperfections of the perfectness of life...all interwoven and held together by colors that should clash and designs that should repel.

I'm not even going to the application....

Nothing is symmetrical in life. No thing or one is really balanced on the outside without something to balance it - normally created by an artist. You see, that's the beauty of nature: her imperfections totally irrelevant next to her beauty. And this is how you paint.

Now, if you're a perfectionist, I'm really screwed. But, honest none the less. :)

thank ya ma'me

I'm working on one now...needed this bolt.

Tamana
09-11-2003, 10:28 PM
That is sacreligious!!!!

Hey hey Michael!!! We could say, pool resources and share custody half the year yes?! ;)

mame
09-11-2003, 10:29 PM
ON THE FLOOR IN SPAZMS SPEWING COFFEE LACED WITH HAZLENUT CREAMER!!

Now THAT'S funny:D

fractalfingers
09-11-2003, 10:30 PM
That is sacreligious!!!!

not if I'm god...

I do appologize molly... I couldn't resist... i'd put pink hair on a portrait of my own mother if I had one.

heh
09-11-2003, 10:31 PM
she typed in caps
it must be serious

Tamana
09-11-2003, 10:34 PM
would know to capitalize His name. ;)

mame
09-11-2003, 10:36 PM
Fractured Fractal - smile when you say "mother"............like Im even old enought to be yours:rolleyes:

Hey, heh - go lick your own paintings. Well.......you can lick my face if you want to (oh boy, I hate it when I get into these moods:cool:

Txs Missy. You're a doll face. Hey, I know what.....heh - go lick Tamana's face.:p

Tamana
09-11-2003, 10:38 PM
coooooties!!!

*shudders*

heh
09-11-2003, 10:40 PM
nono
you said i could lick yours first
my heart would break with anything else :p

blkros
09-11-2003, 10:40 PM
ON THE FLOOR IN SPAZMS SPEWING COFFEE LACED WITH HAZLENUT CREAMER!!

Now THAT'S funny:D

HAZELNUT COFFEE!!!!!!
Now that's sacrelidge!
*shudder*

somerset
09-11-2003, 10:43 PM
ok we can have joint custody of the paintings but dunno about all this face lickin. feel like a voyuer...but I like it!

mame
09-11-2003, 10:44 PM
I know what! We'll all lick Bilk's aka bat boy's head:angel:

blkros
09-11-2003, 10:46 PM
Bats have cooties. :D :evil:

Tamana
09-11-2003, 10:46 PM
Mame!! RIGHT WITH YOU GIRL!!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Sep-2003/18021-Coffee_Mate.JPG

*covers her coffemate's ears*

There there.

blkros
09-11-2003, 10:48 PM
Mame!! RIGHT WITH YOU GIRL!!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Sep-2003/18021-Coffee_Mate.JPG

*covers her coffemate's ears*

There there.
You people are SICK!!!! The only way to drink coffee is black. (Definately no flavoring, yechh.)

Tamana
09-11-2003, 10:50 PM
sometimes ya feel like a nut...sometimes ya don't.

hoozah!!!

mame
Originally posted by blkros
Bats have cooties. :D :evil:

As long as nose/ear/back hairs are trimmed I'm cool.

Tam - that stuff is addicting........

Tamana
really?!?!

*twitch*

heh
09-11-2003, 10:51 PM
ewww coffee

blkros
09-11-2003, 10:52 PM

As long as nose/ear/back hairs are trimmed I'm cool.

All set, as well as other places. I do have a runny nose, due to allergies, though.

Tamana
09-11-2003, 10:53 PM
other places?!?!?!

*shuts up*

(hahahahahaahahahahahahahah)

blkros
09-11-2003, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by heh
ewww coffee

Never, ever say that. :(

blkros
09-11-2003, 10:54 PM
other places?!?!?!

*shuts up*

(hahahahahaahahahahahahahah)

GMOOG

somerset
09-11-2003, 10:55 PM
Aw c'mon. There are still Real men out here!

Tamana
09-11-2003, 10:57 PM

Never, ever say that. :(

Say: COFFEE-MATE HAZELNUT CREAMER!!!!!!!

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

"nut"tin but net!!!

hoozah!!!

heh
09-11-2003, 10:59 PM
i'm sticking with ewww

kare
09-11-2003, 11:07 PM
did someone say coffffeeeee??? :eek:

and chamomile tea.. any of that here for me too??????

Tamana
09-11-2003, 11:10 PM
I have all kinds!!! Take your choice!!! Kick your shoes off. Stay awhile!!!

kare
09-11-2003, 11:12 PM
then you won't mind if i make a dive for that comfy cushion on the floor? good-o.. when can we feed the kookaburra's??

Tamana
09-11-2003, 11:15 PM
I paint you feeding.

hehehe

arourapope
09-11-2003, 11:36 PM

You people are SICK!!!! The only way to drink coffee is black. (Definately no flavoring, yechh.)

Geeze, I'm with th Keither on that one. :D

muchfoolishness
09-11-2003, 11:38 PM
on an iv drip

arourapope
09-11-2003, 11:41 PM
hehehehehe

arourapope
09-11-2003, 11:45 PM
Geeze Mame, those detail shots are luscious.

arourapope
09-11-2003, 11:48 PM
OMG! Michael! :o Thanks. I think I'm beet red now. :)

muchfoolishness
09-12-2003, 12:58 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Sep-2003/9955-cat.jpg

Tamana
09-12-2003, 01:04 AM

Black?!!! Uggggghhhhhh *shudders*

booooooorin' dahhhhlin'!!!! Utterly!!!

I just need to bring my hazelnut to Asheville..... :D

kare
09-12-2003, 01:10 AM
anyone for baileys irish cream??

Elankat
09-12-2003, 01:11 AM
Coffee has a perfect partner and the name is Bailey's. Or should I say that Bailey's has a perfect partner. Come to think of it, just forget about the coffee. :)

Tamana
09-12-2003, 01:27 AM
Make mine a virgin columbian ground please. ;)

kare
09-12-2003, 01:30 AM
hey tam, how'd that painting go of yours? ;)

Tamana
09-12-2003, 01:35 AM
goodly....

blkros
09-12-2003, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by ciarrai
anyone for baileys irish cream??

Bailey's should only be used in B-52s.

blkros
09-12-2003, 08:12 AM
Make mine a virgin columbian ground please. ;)
You want a virgin columbian?:eek:

blkros
09-12-2003, 08:13 AM

See I knew I liked you for more than just yer paintings. :D

heh
09-12-2003, 09:41 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Sep-2003/9955-cat.jpg

mew?

Tamana
09-12-2003, 10:40 AM

You want a virgin columbian?:eek:

Annnnnnd Aurora!!!! GUILTY!!! You're the one who started ALL this pink hair stuff!!! Fractal is out of CONTROL and it's ALL YOUR fault!!! :cool:

Originally posted by Aurorapope

I don't know HOW you sleep at night....

mame
09-12-2003, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by heh

mew?

Don't you guys ever sleep?

heh - I don't need to shave my chin this morning.......your scratchy cat tongue filed my beard down to stubble :cat:

Txs, aurora:D

feather
09-12-2003, 11:02 AM
Define sleep.

heh
09-12-2003, 11:05 AM
lol

Tamana
09-12-2003, 11:06 AM
I have been praying for a book shelf. My school books and tapes are EVERYWHERE. Drawers. Shelves. Cabinets. I mean EVERYWHERE. Bible College isn't like regular college. You don't get a new book each semester. You get two every month - in addition to two tapes per class, which is twice a week. Not to mention the third class I picked up weekly. It moves very very fast and the disorganized get lost in the shuffle.

So, anyway.... all I wanted was just a small bookcase or shelf (which I can't afford), to allevitate some of this mess.

TaaaaaDaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Sep-2003/18021-Cabinet.JPG

Look what I got for free!!!! A double case!!!! Weeeeeeee!!!

brushstroked
09-12-2003, 12:45 PM
That's wonderful, Tam! Amazing how our needs and wants are filled when we allow them to be. :) And look -- you got double.

The earth is full of miracles; all we have to do is watch for them. I'd be interested to hear about serendipitous happenings in the lives you other artists. Whattaya say? Anyone else out there on the receiving end of good karma/answered prayers?

feather
09-12-2003, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by brushstroked
That's wonderful, Tam! Amazing how our needs and wants are filled when we allow them to be. :) And look -- you got double.

The earth is full of miracles; all we have to do is watch for them. I'd be interested to hear about serendipitous happenings in the lives you other artists. Whattaya say? Anyone else out there on the receiving end of good karma/answered prayers?

Cool idea brushstroked.

Why don't you start a new thread so it doesn't get lost in this one.

Creativity Corner has similar threads.

brushstroked
09-12-2003, 02:02 PM
Me, start a thread?!? :eek:

Tamana
09-12-2003, 03:46 PM
and yet another shirt trashed by paint...sheesh I'm green.

You can do it, Laura: take a deep breath.

lspinella
09-12-2003, 09:01 PM
I love you dad..

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Sep-2003/3343-dadas_cowboy.jpg

Tamana
09-12-2003, 09:58 PM
Roy Rogers rides again!! :D

Hello Ispi's dad.

Tamana
09-13-2003, 01:24 AM
I think that art is manufactured memories or constructed dreams.

Goodnight, world of WC.

lspinella
09-13-2003, 01:40 AM
this is the real me.........http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Sep-2003/3343-what_r_u_lookin_at.jpg

Tamana
09-13-2003, 09:12 AM
Great eyes. Love that dental work. ;)

Any pain medication in that pharmacy I see to the left?

Tamana
09-14-2003, 02:20 PM
Anyone ever felt this with your art? Just you and your art because people didn't know what to tell you?

Does anyone understand what I'm doing? Or, how I'm doing it? Or, why?

Can you really answer that for yourself?

blkros
09-14-2003, 02:28 PM
Anyone ever felt this with your art? Just you and your art because people didn't know what to tell you?

Does anyone understand what I'm doing? Or, how I'm doing it? Or, why?

Can you really answer that for yourself?

Probably not to both questions.
I may think I know what you're doing, but that doesn't mean I'm right.
You may think you know what you're doing, but that doesn't mean that you're right.

I definately have no idea what I'm doing. :D

Tamana
09-14-2003, 02:33 PM
:p

Tell me you're in the studio, keef.

blkros
09-14-2003, 02:39 PM
Sorta in and out. :D
Tending the shop, etc. Have to go pick up the wife at the airport in and hour.

(PS No WIP to show, because she took the camera wid 'er, and it's about 1/2 done.)

Tamana
09-14-2003, 02:41 PM
We'll be watchin'.

Tamana
09-16-2003, 11:37 PM
is my daughter's birthday. This is the first one I have missed since she was born 19 years ago. I don't know where she is. But, she knows where I am. So, if by chance...

Happy Birthday, Beth.

I love you.

Tamana
09-17-2003, 11:30 AM
is Wednesday. It is a cool, Carolina blue sky day as far as the eye can see. The calm before the storm? Irony?

Happy Wednesday peeps. :cool:

kare
09-17-2003, 07:11 PM
its thurs here.
cool, breezy, overcast day. *sigh* i love rain! i wish it rained more often than it does.

had my class lastnight. the class is lessening more every week. we're down to 5 now (including me).. but i prefer this.. makes the class more 1 on 1.

Tamana
09-18-2003, 01:17 PM
Carlyle, Thomas

There is wonderful therapy in getting up and doing something that has or needs to be done whether you feel like it or not. In the process of doing the time passes quickly. And time itself in one measure or another heals, and "light arises in the darkness," slowly, it seems, but certainly.

Eliot, Elizabeth, "All That Was Ever Ours..."

Tamana
09-18-2003, 10:53 PM
...here in central NC. Periodic gusts of showered wind tasting of salty spray and stinging gull feathers (just kidding-- thought the emphasis of poor animals would add to the dramatics--when in actuality, the animals are smarter than us when it comes to things like this) accompanied by fast moving clouds are the only signs of Isabel.

It's difficult to believe that just a few hours away lies vast devastation. Millions without power, and much more.

arourapope
09-18-2003, 11:13 PM
thanks for checking in. It's good to see you're okay. It's been quiet here tonight.
All we saw of it on this side of the border was a few clouds deepening to overcast sky, finishing off with a breathtaking sunset. Not even a drop of rain. It's amazing, being so close and yet so far.

Tamana
09-19-2003, 09:05 AM
the most

beautiful day. Isn't it always after a storm? Glad you're all ok too, Aurora. My heart goes out to those on the coast. Anyone planning on going to help with the clean up?

brushstroked
09-19-2003, 10:58 AM
Anyone planning on going to help with the clean up?

*volunteers*

but can someone explain to my boss?

:(

Tamana
09-20-2003, 12:36 PM
Gar & mmk's resurrection threads got me thinking about when I first came around, which was January of this year. And I have to wonder if some of what I've seen here hasn't influenced me greatly and been an underlying reason for where I am currently. There are some pieces of art you see that make an impression for whatever reason, then just stick with you. Sometimes the artist has added something that has over-ridden the previous impression, and the latter (for whatever reason), sticks with you. It doesn't necessarily have to be the actual piece of art that sticks with you or makes that initial impression, but rather a story behind it, or the materials it's made from.

So, anyway, in paying attention to my art and in looking back for the pieces of others here who made that initial impression on me, I have to conclude that WC has indeed contributed to my desire to place my hand back into art after 25 years or so. In searching for these pieces by these artists, I thought I would share them with you - and, let you see first hand those who have influenced me, and why.

The following two for color and design:

ZOTMA's "Swing"

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Sep-2003/18021-mswing4.jpg

mmk's Red Metal

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Sep-2003/18021-red_metal.jpg
~

Playfulness remembrance of what's important

Keh'lee's Garden

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Sep-2003/18021-july2_garden.jpg
~

Faces & emotion (and because I love hats)

J'net's Old Hat

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Sep-2003/18021-1089-lp_heinrich_oldhat.jpg
~

Unique & minimalistic expression through profound simplicity.

Amy's September (I'd like to hear from one person who says this one leaves their mind). Actually, the one that stuck with me prior to seeing this on her site was the one of her little boy taking a bath.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Sep-2003/18021-1421-september.jpg

Keef's Shape the Sky aka feather dancing ;)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Sep-2003/18021-7753-shapethesky.jpg
~

For the figure and limited palette

Aurora's Somewhere

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Sep-2003/18021-somewheredetail.jpg
~

Then you've got the limitless freestyle expression by Gar (Godhead being my new fav), and El'Elegante.

Then there's Nina's trees, Stefan's nudes (I STILL remember that bottom....), Astronautf's sketchbook especially the cover-up by the pope. Of course there was Cindy and a few others not around, and a few others that I have loved and admired for years, who are...but we'll leave it at that and agree the knowing is enough.

Now we have such feasts as Somerset's digi art, Axxxel's geometric minimal mystery, and so many many more.

But, lastly (no doubt my death sentence), is Mame's "Eve", not so much for the actual piece (which I do like), but, more for the words that accompanied...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Sep-2003/18021-Eve.jpg

No, it is not a durable surface but the "stiffness" when the glue dried was intriguing to me. I was just using what I had at the time. Sometimes "I don't have the right materials/paint/studio, etc" is just fear. If ya gotta paint, you'll find a way even if it's on a bed sheet!

Yep...you gotta do what you gotta do with what you got to do it with. That's how many of us begin...a simple bottle of school glue, a half empty fingernail polish bottle, fireplace ashes, old photos, and crayons.

A path many of us (regardless of the status or finances we would receive to purchase the best of supplies), will never fully leave.

Happy Saturday.

somerset
09-20-2003, 01:40 PM
Influential works all. I am not as yet fortunate enough to have absorbed artistic influence from any WC artist in any tangible way but I have been lucky enough to pick up fragments of concepts from time to time. Sometimes on my own, sometimes the artist took the time to pound it into my brain. I also have a mentor who insists that she is not qualified due to lack of familarity with digi. Ha! She has forgotten more about art than I will ever learn.
Wish I could say I always incorporate everyones wisdom and insights into what I do but I'd be lying.

Of those influences I am aware of:
Aurora-an awareness of space and the idea I am trying to present
Jnet11- focal point (pounded into my brain with a crit)
Mame-Mentor, nuff said
Nina-fluid motion

Thank you.

Tamana
09-22-2003, 11:38 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Sep-2003/18021-Get_Up.jpg

I walk.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Sep-2003/18021-Walking.jpg

I fall

down.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Sep-2003/18021-Fell.jpg

Meanwhile,
I keep

dancing.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Sep-2003/18021-Dance.jpg
~

Ain't life music?

Fe'real. :)

(Photos by Kim Anderson)

mame
09-22-2003, 11:54 PM
LOL! Nothing like a click of a mouse and the shock of seeing your old ratty underwear staring back at you!

It's weird. Of the many, many paintings over time, this is the only one I have kept in tact. All the other old school work or experiments or fillanderings got painted over, given away or cut up for collage. This is the only one still hangin out in the garage. Starting to decay a bit with moth holes and tears from many re-locations - bed sheeting in combination with Elmer's Glue is NOT archival. LOL

Txs for that nod, Tamana
And that Somerset. Ya know.........I like that kid:D

arourapope
09-23-2003, 12:26 AM
Hehehehe.... yeah, that kinda caught me by surprise. Thanks guys. ;)

Rob Lineberger
09-23-2003, 12:27 AM
What's happening to this thread? You're talking about art all of a sudden! Come on, people, diverge off topic!

Just kidding of course. I hope to be influenced by some of you. because that would mean I'm still painting. Just doing it is hard enough sometimes.

somerset
09-23-2003, 12:42 AM
Well you've come to the right place. You'll see stuff from a variety of people that at first glance makes you say to yourself 'why do I bother, who am I kidding, I can't even be enough of an artist to please myself'. It is only fair to warn you...that is when you're about to be sucked in. Leave Now! And then theres the peeps.
This place is deadly.

Tamana
09-23-2003, 12:56 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Sep-2003/18021-Bigpeeps.jpg

But you can never leave.

:cool:

heh
09-23-2003, 08:22 AM
- bed sheeting in combination with Elmer's Glue is NOT archival. LOL

*takes notes*

Tamana
09-23-2003, 01:26 PM
"It's not easy taking my problems one at a time when they refuse to get in line."

;)

5. Uniqueness and convergence of conductivity image reconstruction in magnetic resonance electrical impedance tomography

3. Regularized inversion of integral transformations of Mellin convolution type

1. Variationally constrained numerical solution of electrical impedance tomography

6. The solvability conditions for the inverse eigenvalue problem of Hermitian and generalized skew-Hamiltonian matrices and its approximation

4. The factorization method in inverse scattering from periodic structures

7. Anisotropic resistivity inversion

2. ?

mame
09-23-2003, 02:01 PM
:music: :music: :music: You say to-mae-toe, I say to-mah-toe:music: :music: :music:

Everything has something to do with everything else:D

Tamana
09-23-2003, 02:12 PM
:music::music::music:may'ter:music::music::music:

...and everyone

every

one

1. Variationally constrained numerical solution of electrical impedance (I say) :music: to-mo-graphy:music: (you say) :music: ta-ma-graphy:music:

mame
09-23-2003, 02:24 PM
:o =singing along.

Tamana
09-25-2003, 10:39 AM
to grandparent's house we go!!!!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Sep-2003/18021-Best_Dressed.jpg

arourapope
09-25-2003, 11:51 AM
any of you guys know of a good reliable tree nursery online that will ship live plants?

Tamana
09-25-2003, 12:05 PM
I use to order from a really good place but that was YEARS ago. Never had any problems with them. Ordered bulbs, bushes, & trees. I'll see if I can remember the name then find a site.

Tis the season...

arourapope
09-25-2003, 12:16 PM
yes it is. Thanks. :) I'm contemplating either a river birch or a witch hazel or a mountain ash or a fruit tree (can't decide which fruit). I have room for one medium size tree right smack in front.
For smaller stuff, I found http://www.blossomfarm.com .
She has a great variety of stuff, but no trees. And it looks like she doesn't ship in the fall. :(

Tamana
09-25-2003, 01:36 PM
http://michiganbulb.com/index.asp?sid=800048%20

Hap-hap-happeeee diggin'.

brushstroked
09-25-2003, 01:53 PM
Aurora...

Years ago, I ordered a bunch of trees and shrubs (including ginkgo and wisteria) from a terrific tree place...but I can't remember the name. I was thinking it was something like Mueller, but when I do an online search it pulls up just an address in Florida - no web site. When I get home from work, I'll dig up the catalog and get you the name and a contact number. Their quality was excellent, with reasonable prices.

arourapope
09-25-2003, 02:02 PM
:) I knew you guys would come through for me. :D I'm having a great time gardening. I got my first herb bed in a couple of weeks ago and yesterday I finished lining the edges with nice rocks. I also got a small flower bed in by the fence yesterday and planted it with yarrow babies and an echinacea and a bunch of echinacea seeds. The weather is perfect, breezy and nice.
Autumn rocks. :D :D :D

Tamana
09-25-2003, 02:39 PM
I SWEAR I posted the "you rock" on your new painting before I saw this!!!! lolol.

You will LOVE the mountain weather in Autumn & Spring, Aurora. Although, it may be colder than you're used to in the winter. :) Glad to hear of your plantings...

Tamana
09-29-2003, 04:39 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Sep-2003/18021-Doggies.jpg

...sorry.

brushstroked
09-29-2003, 09:14 PM
...somewhere.

A few wedding photos I shot a few weekends ago for my niece. Unfortunately my exceptionally beautiful black and white ones can't be posted (due to technical difficulties :crying: ) but here are some in living color:

Bride and son:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Sep-2003/21050-vandray.jpg

Flower Girl and Ring Bearer:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Sep-2003/21050-mcdray0002.jpg

Bride and Maid of Honor:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Sep-2003/21050-vanmin.jpg

The exquisite one I wanted to post of the bride and groom is black and white, but I can't post it until I figure out how to replace the glass on my scanner. :crying:

Tamana
09-29-2003, 09:22 PM
Great shots, Laura!! Did you cry? ;)

brushstroked
09-29-2003, 09:24 PM
hahahaha
Only from the frustration of being an amateur photographer in a professional role. :p

Tamana
09-29-2003, 09:27 PM
Well, I'll take you any day. Those colors are brilliant and the clarity is wonderful. Hopefully you'll get the scanner up and running soon.
:cool:

brushstroked
09-29-2003, 09:31 PM
Thanks, Tam. :)

Tamana
09-29-2003, 09:34 PM
Guess what I got today?!?! Le plane ticket to Nicaragua!!!! yeeeheeehhahahahhohohoho!!! December 19th wook out here we come!!! whooohooooo!!!

chachachacha cha!!!

chachachacha cha!!!

brushstroked
09-29-2003, 09:37 PM
YAY!!!

Can you tear the ticket down the middle and give me half?!?

I'm excited for you!! Wish I could go and experience it too. I'm glad we still have you for two and a half more months. :)

Tamana
09-29-2003, 09:41 PM
Cha

Cha

Cha!!!!

Tamana
09-30-2003, 09:45 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Sep-2003/18021-Train.jpg

:music::music:Train, roll on, on down the line.
Won't you, please, take me far away.
Now I feel the wind blow outside my door.
Means I'm, I'm leaving my woman at home.
Tuesday's gone with the wind.
Oh, my baby's gone with the wind.
And I just don't know, oh, where I'm going.
I just want to be left alone.
Well, when this train ends I'll try again
Oh, but I'm leaving my woman at home.
My baby's gone with the wind.
Train, roll on, Tuesday's gone.
Train, roll on many miles from my home.
See I'm, I'm riding my blues away, yeh.
Tuesday, you see, she had to be free.
Lord, but somehow I've got to carry on.
My baby's gone with the wind.
Train, roll on 'cause my baby's gone..
I'm riding my blues away, baby
Turn around my blues
Ride on, train, ride on, train
Riding my blues, babe
Come back to me, babe
Come back to me:music::music:

It's Tuesday.

brushstroked
09-30-2003, 09:51 AM
You sure know how to make a girl cry.

Yep, it's Tuesday...but it'll be Wednesday soon...
and Tuesday will be forgotten.

Thanks, Tamana.

Tamana
09-30-2003, 10:03 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Sep-2003/18021-Baby.jpg

o O I hope those cute little thingies on his blankie don't have some sort of spiritual meaning....

And more happy!!!!! Hope he can always think of funny things to say.....

http://www.angelfire.com/journal2/bride/photo2.html

Tamana
09-30-2003, 10:30 AM
Volcano (with my luck.....)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Sep-2003/18021-Maderas,_Nicaragua.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Sep-2003/18021-Nicaragua1.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Sep-2003/18021-Nicaragua_2.jpg

Tamana
10-01-2003, 02:08 PM
is here. The Blue Ridge Parkway in North Carolina: Heaven.
~

l(a

le
af
fa
ll
s)
one
li
ness

- e.e. cummings
~

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Oct-2003/18021-fall16.jpg
~

Once upon a time, a little boy
ran into his home holding up a leaf in each hand.
He said
"Look!! I'm a tree!"
His parents said
"Silly boy!!"
He sadly dropped the leaves and turned to walk away.
His parents said

"Look!!! It's fall."
~

It's fall

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Oct-2003/18021-Fall3.jpg
~

brushstroked
10-01-2003, 02:30 PM
In a dream I was lying on an opulent bed beneath pale pink satin sheets, when the Queen of England stepped into the room. She carried a gift for me: a license plate in dandelion yellow with the words "Leaves Go Away."

Leaves go away. Everything is deciduous. Cyclical. True to nature's laws, the things we love that leave us begin to decay and become nourishment for the growth of things to come. And when the earth warms in February and our hearts thaw and sap runs newly through our veins, the cycle will begin again.

Leaves go away; roots remain.

Tamana
10-02-2003, 10:14 AM
Wild Geese

You do not have to be good.
You do not have to walk on your knees
for a hundred miles through the desert, repenting.
You only have to let the soft animal of your body
love what it loves.
Tell me about despair, yours, and I will tell you mine.
Meanwhile the world goes on.
Meanwhile the sun and the clear pebbles of the rain
are moving across the landscapes,
over the prairies and the deep trees,
the mountains and the rivers.
Meanwhile the wild geese, high in the clean blue air,
are heading home again.
Whoever you are, no matter how lonely,
the world offers itself to your imagination,
calls to you like the wild geese, harsh and exciting--
over and over announcing your place
in the family of things.

Mary Oliver
~

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Oct-2003/18021-Geese.jpg

Linwood, North Carolina
~

brushstroked
10-02-2003, 10:22 AM
Beautiful and perfect, Tam. :)

I'm glad the geese are going South.

Tamana
10-02-2003, 10:23 AM
stroked one. :cool:

Tamana
10-02-2003, 04:22 PM
I am familiarizing myself with Nicaraguan art etc. -- , or rather, I thought I would because I'd like to try and hit some museums etc. while over there. My initial search began with an artist I had read about.

http://www.rose-hulman.edu/~delacova/nicaragua/claudia-chamorro.htm

Then I thought I'd try to locate some of her work but couldn't locate any. Then I thought I'd search for museums.

Say it ain't so... :(

Google & Yahoo search results:

You are here: Nicaragua
Your search for Art Galleries in Nicaragua returned 0 results

Google results:

http://www.guidez.net/place=375/topic=34/show=articles

Then hope!!

http://www.creaworld.com.sg/wb/agm/usa.htm

Then well

Worldwide Art Galleries & Museums
UNDER CONSTRUCTION !!

I never imagined. Looks like art has a long way to go in Nicaragua since the revolution. :(

Tamana
10-02-2003, 04:29 PM
http://www.artchild.org/en/childrensart/frescos/countries/Nicaragua.html

Children. Ummmmmmmmmmmmm

Tamana
10-02-2003, 11:55 PM
The Nicaraguan Primitivista painting movement originated in a community of artists founded in the 1970's on the islands of Solentiname in Lake Nicaragua. The community was based on the principles of liberation theology and sponsored workshops in popular poetry, theater, music and painting. The painting workshops gave birth to the Primitivista Painting Movement, a school influenced by the Haitian paintng renaissance of the late 40's and 50's. The paintings were typified by idealized scenes of community life, lush natural environments and pastoral utopias, executed in bright colors and intricate detail.

This revolutionary vision of hope and possibility was at odds with the regime of Anastasio Somoza. The original artists' community was destroyed when the island was bombed by Somoza's forces, and those not killed were forced into hiding. But the painting workshops reemerged after the Sandinista revolution and still flourish today. In 1981 a workshop was formed in the community of Sutiava, near the city of Leon. The members of this group have won national prizes and exhibited in North America, Europe and Japan. The workshop has endured through the subsequent political change, economic hardships and most recently hurricanes of the last decade in Nicaragua. The work of three of these artists - Alejandro Cabrera, Santiago Crespin, and Rosa Delia Lopez - was exhibited at Indigo Arts Gallery in May and June 2000.

Sigh. War.

Okay -- well, at least I found a workshop In Leon -- now to contact....at least they're making a comeback.

gfsk it!!! This is really sgklsks me off......I'm trying to fix the link.

Nicaragua (http://www.indigoarts.com/gallery_nicaragua_main.html)

Tamana
10-03-2003, 12:04 AM

OMG!!!!!! It looks like it's less than 50m from Managua!!!!!

Man. IwannameetumIwannameetumIwannameetum!!!! And, hug them. Yay fight for art: survive.

somerset
10-03-2003, 12:14 AM
when in Rome...not oh la la, its Bueno!