PDA

View Full Version : The Turning Away

Tamana
08-29-2003, 10:04 AM
Finished the other cabinet this morning. I'll be adding the glue weave this evening. The dimension is as thick as 3" in spots. Let me know if you want a shot of it. I have FOUR DAYS OFF!!! I hope to complete the biggie this weekend.

Happy Labor Day weekend all!!! :)

Abdication & Alee: 24" x 24" (together - 12" x 24" separate), Acrylic and a bunch of stuff on foam on gesso on wooden cabinet doors.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Aug-2003/18021-Dip_Yellow.JPG

Alee:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Aug-2003/18021-Panel_2.2.JPG

Closers:

Bleeding:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Aug-2003/18021-Alee_Detail_1.jpg

Hope
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Aug-2003/18021-Alee_Detail_2.jpg
~

Thank you always for your time.

blkros
08-29-2003, 10:13 AM
Lots of interesting stuff going on here.
Love that yellow arc in hope.

Tamana
08-29-2003, 10:23 AM
Thanks, Keith. :) Shooting star: one in each. :D

The details for Abdication are here if you didn't already see them. I didn't want to repost pics etc.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=128595

You know I'm really enjoying the direction yours are taking as of late.

axxxel
08-29-2003, 11:19 AM
what's inside ? :D

Tamana
08-29-2003, 02:19 PM
I've decided to mount it (like cabinets) to a door I found (sawed in half). It's solid wood and about 2 thick, and my brother's a carpenter so he can bevel out the inside, leaving a frame to actually screw the cabinets on. Then I thought about painting something on the inside too, so you could ACTUALLY open them and something is there.

I am thinking: map.

Mary Riggs
08-29-2003, 02:32 PM
These are great, Tam.

The YELLOW background on the cabinets really set this work of art apart. (no pun intended!)

You also give a new meaning to recycling found objects.

Beautiful piece! I want you to re-do my kitchen cupboards just like this.

I am going out to the garage right now and raid my husband's stock of recycled items for possibilities. If he gets mad, I'll blame it on you :evil: :D :D :D

Tamana
08-29-2003, 03:10 PM
Blame it ALL ON ME!!! :evil:

Thanks for your encouragement, Mary!!

Look look!!! Here's the door sawed in half!! I'm going to have fun with the top part with the glass in it. :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Aug-2003/18021-Doors.JPG

Here's another I found!!!! That one has etched panels of glass!! THAT'S going to be fun!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Aug-2003/18021-White_door.JPG

I wonder....will I even KNOW what to do with canvas if I ever get some? :confused: Oh well, *shrugs* who cares right now?!! I have oils and doors and a biggie to finish!! :D

jnet11
08-29-2003, 04:08 PM
some awesome finds, sounds like fun

jammin to pink floyd are ya?

Maysun
08-29-2003, 05:02 PM
A fantasy landscape with lots of colourful adventures waiting to happen ! - hmm, I think I'm going to write a story....:)

LoVeLy, Tam !

I can't WaIt to see the glass doors next !

Maysun:)

Tamana
08-29-2003, 06:23 PM
jnet11!!! Thank you!! "Comfortably Numb" here!! :D How are you feeling?!! Love and prayers from here to there for you. Always watching and waiting for your next post! :)
~

May"sun" :)

A fantasy landscape with lots of colourful adventures waiting to happen ! - hmm, I think I'm going to write a story....

Ayeeee indeed!!!! This is why I NEED a map!!! I don't know how to get there from here!!! :D
~

Look look!! What else I found!! :D

Not ONE panel of glass is broken!! Not ONE (i tell you...one)!!! :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Aug-2003/18021-last_door.JPG
~~

somerset
08-30-2003, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by Tamana
I've decided to mount it (like cabinets) to a door I found (sawed in half). It's solid wood and about 2 thick, and my brother's a carpenter so he can bevel out the inside, leaving a frame to actually screw the cabinets on. Then I thought about painting something on the inside too, so you could ACTUALLY open them and something is there.

I am thinking: map.

Now that I would like to see.

Tamana
08-30-2003, 07:10 PM
You vill! You vill!!! :D

Dahzl
08-31-2003, 06:06 AM
Tam - You are going to need a warehouse studio at this rate ! :D Just to house all your found objects :D :D Seriously tho' Looking Fantastic !! - and I Love that image closeup of 'Hope'
a wonderful work in itself !

:clap: :clap: 's and bows and salutes to you !

Cheers Dahzl xxx:D :D

Tamana
08-31-2003, 09:28 AM
Well I'm definitely running out of space!! :D But, I'm also giving things away so no biggie. I can collect them all when I get the courage up to have a show.

I have two options from local cafe's that I haven't had the courage to accept yet. I just don't feel like I'm ready for some reason, you know? Maybe one day.

Thanks always for your encouragement, Dahhhz. :) I'm looking forward to this one mounted.

Dahzl
08-31-2003, 10:11 PM
Oh Tam I can definately relate to the 'space' thing - it's very overcrowded in my house at the moment [ I've already mentioned this in your quadtych thread :D ] -

and the' feeling ready' thing I still don't- but sometimes you've got to take the plunge when the opprtunity comes up - bear in mind these words of wisdom are coming from a 'procastinator' I was approached by a gallery who wanted to represent me years ago - but I let my fear and lack of self confidence get in the way - I am still regretting that - even tho I tell myself that maybe it wasn't the right time for me then. So now that I am taking my art a little more seriously - and after a lot of prompting from various friends who like my work - I have decided to jump right in - ready or not :confused: :D and see what happens - where it might take me. As for you - I feel that you have a good body of work to start showing a little here and there- just to get the feel of it - it's all good experience - :D The cafes sound like a great place to start.
Plus I really think your work would be really well recieved and definately welcomed !
Anyway my dear Friend T'is just a few of my thoughts on the subject.

Luv Dahzl xxx

Tamana
08-31-2003, 10:19 PM
I definitely understand what you're saying, but you have to remember that half my 'collection' is on cardboard!!! :D

My brother is a carpenter though, AND he's currently laid off, SO he has some time to cut and carve some original stuff for me. I don't think I want frames....I think I just want a flat wood surface to adhere it to - then maybe some carvings around it - though not standoutish: subtle.

I like the ideas of adhering my work to the wood with screws!! I don't know why, I just do!!! We'll see!!! Yeah, both cafes are great ones. I wouldn't know which to choose, plus there's a gallery that wants to...well, anyway, I'm not sure where or with who to start so I'm just weighing my options and taking my time. One things for certian, two for sure - I could see their faces if I approached them with cardboard!!!! :D lol

Go for it Dahhhhzl!!!!! You're more than ready now!!!!
I can't wait until you get a cam and we can see some of your things!!! But, if you show...then there will be piccies taken anyway!! :D yay!!!

LOL - there you go!!! Answered prayers!!!! You'll show your work to obtain photos!!! :D

Good luck my friend!

Dahzl
08-31-2003, 10:32 PM
Absolutely nothing wrong with cardboard ! :D I am sure they will Love it !! It's all in the way you present it Tam - and mounted on wood sounds perfect ! [ I like the sound of the screws too !]

Better get your brother 'cracking' on it :D :D - fantastic that he is a carpenter - Mind if I borrow him for a little while???:D

Cheers Dahz xxx:cat:

Tamana
08-31-2003, 10:42 PM
He's yours, dahhling!! :D

Hey go for the screw idea!! :D Let me know how it goes over!!

arourapope
09-01-2003, 02:03 AM
such an exciting piece! I love how these work together, and I can't wait to see what you hide inside. You are rockin and rolling, girl, and the oils will be a real kiss of wonder in all of this.

james.bishop
09-01-2003, 04:47 AM
Some incredible finds there, Tam. I love the idea of hidden treasures! :) Lovin' it all hun!

Tamana
09-01-2003, 09:29 AM
Aurora: Thank ya ma'am. I always appreciate your encouragement. Imma lookin' for an old crackled map now ;) The oils were fun, but in all honesty, I still love all my other stuff too. And, I can't imagine creating without it. Succession was okay, but I just felt it wasn't...."me." You know? It was 'for' someone else so I can already tell I'm not going to be too good at that sort of thing. Just need to let flow out of me what's in me (using whatever I can find ;) ), and all will be well.
~

James: Thanks!! Glad you're liking. It's really been fun!! :D I know exactly what I'm looking for it's just a matter of finding it. :) Hope you enjoy your day with those boys. They grow up fast!!!
~

Thanks to you both. :)

brushstroked
09-01-2003, 10:08 PM
vivid, wild abandonment. Shooting star wishes that may someday come true. Doors everywhere, with adventures waiting.

Your colors continue to astound me, Tam. And the world is your canvas. :)

Tamana
09-02-2003, 05:52 PM
YES!!!! I found three more today - solid wood sawn in half (you have to saw them here or they won't get picked up by the people who pick up doors)!!!! And the beauty is that most are already white - so all I have to do is prime. :D

Thanks for looking, Laura. Yeah, I think I'm currently having a love affair with color. I think I like it too. :D

A-purr-chiate your support and encouragement; HOWEVER, don't you have a couple of canvases waiting for YOU?!